Mapex Horizon Big City kit/ Limited Edition Bopset

Piebe

What is the difference between these two? Far as i can see only the price. I have purchased a Big City kit in march this year for 750 euro and the shopkeeper assured me they only come with Mapex hardware instead of the Gibraltar 5600 series which i prefered.

Yesterday i was surfing around the Internet and found out they not only sell the same kit as a shell pack elsewhere, but also they sell it for 499 with hardware and 409 without. Man would i have preferred to get the shell pack with Gibraltar 5600 hardware for that price instead of what i have now.

The only difference is they are called Limited Edition Bopkit instead of Big City kit. This is also why i though for long the deal was good, since the drums are fine. But yesterday i suddenly saw this picture of a Mapex Bopkit which looks exactly like my much more expensive Big City kit!

DV016_Jpg_Large_365524.002_midnight_black_V.jpg

This is what they both look like.

I have compared the specs and configuration of both Mapex kits and i couldn't find any difference. So i payed 250 euro extra just because of the different name! Can you imagine how screwed i feel?

When i came to realize this i studied all the emails i exchanged with the shopkeeper and mailed him about this issue. I mean, i own this set a half year and have to find out they go elsewhere for 499 (409 without the hardware) and i've payed 750 for this crap? To be literal: i bought my first e-kit there for a 899 which i returned within a few months to get this Mapex set. He made me pay an extra 150 euro, which really adds up to more then a thousand euro's. I feel now as if i bought a cheap kit for a thousand euro with crappy hardware. I feel screwed like mad i can assure you. The reasons why i am posting this are several: i have to get it off my chest and only fellow drummers understand my pain. Second, if the shopkeeper does not ease my pain i will warn every one of you for him. I feel that is my duty cause it sucks when you can't even purchase new drums because some greedy shopkeeper screwed you.

If your kit is a Horizon series and you paid EUR750 for it, then yes, you got hosed by the seller (although it's not straightforward arithmetic as you DID trade in a 2nd hand kit against it).

If it's a Meridian series, then that's about right.

On a straight sale, you should have been looking at around EUR 500 for the Horizon Bop kit. If you bought a 900 e-kit and then traded it in, what was the trade-in price? Or did you just get an all-in "bring in your e-kit and 150 and take the Mapex away" offer? If you chose to do the trade-in, then there's not a lot of blame to be thrown around - a better way of doing it would have been to sell your 6-month old e-kit yourself (maybe have gotten 500 for it) which would have covered the cost of a Horizon kit outright.

I understand your frustration, just keep in mind that in the future it really pays to do your homework and to shop around first. John

I understand your frustration, just keep in mind that in the future it really pays to do your homework and to shop around first. John
+1. Just think of the people out there that bought the Gretsch Renown 57 kits when they first came out for around 1500 - 2000. They are going for 800 - 900 now. It happens. At least it wasn't a week later. You have had your kit for a while. Chalk it up to experience, and move on. I know everyone's price ahead of time when I go to shop, and make sure I am paying a fair market price. If you don't like there price, then go somewhere else. With the internet, it is very easy now for the consumer, to know what things should cost.

If your kit is a Horizon series and you paid EUR750 for it, then yes, you got hosed by the seller (although it's not straightforward arithmetic as you DID trade in a 2nd hand kit against it).

If it's a Meridian series, then that's about right.

On a straight sale, you should have been looking at around EUR 500 for the Horizon Bop kit. If you bought a 900 e-kit and then traded it in, what was the trade-in price? Or did you just get an all-in "bring in your e-kit and 150 and take the Mapex away" offer? If you chose to do the trade-in, then there's not a lot of blame to be thrown around - a better way of doing it would have been to sell your 6-month old e-kit yourself (maybe have gotten 500 for it) which would have covered the cost of a Horizon kit outright.
We agreed that i traded my td-4k + 150 euro against a new Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz + Gybraltar 5600 hardware. Then in the store my eye caught this Mapex Horizon Big City Kit which he told me was in the same price range, but only went with Mapex hardware. Which apparently was not the case! So in plain English: the shopkeeper lied to me and that means he stole from me.

That picture is of a Mapex Meridian for sure - perhaps Manhattan? If your kit has those same badges then it is a Meridian. If your has different badges (Horizon) and that kit that you saw has the round badges (Meridian) then you have been ripped off a little =/

+1. Just think of the people out there that bought the Gretsch Renown 57 kits when they first came out for around 1500 - 2000. They are going for 800 - 900 now. It happens. At least it wasn't a week later. You have had your kit for a while. Chalk it up to experience, and move on. I know everyone's price ahead of time when I go to shop, and make sure I am paying a fair market price. If you don't like there price, then go somewhere else. With the internet, it is very easy now for the consumer, to know what things should cost.
Not if they sell the same kit with different names. See my point here? It wasn't until yesterday that i found this out.

Not sure what you have against Mapex hardware. I use it on all my Saturn kits. They make top quality stuff, just like all the other brands nowadays. If he lied to you, then I would go back to the store and have a chat, letting him know that you two should come to some kind of an agreement, or you will not be back again.

That picture is of a Mapex Meridian for sure - perhaps Manhattan?
Nay, it absolutely is the Horizon i own.
If your kit has those same badges then it is a Meridian. If your has different badges (Horizon) and that kit that you saw has the round badges (Meridian) then you have been ripped off a little =/
The badges read Mapex horizon.

Not sure what you have against Mapex hardware. I use it on all my Saturn kits. They make top quality stuff, just like all the other brands nowadays. If he lied to you, then I would go back to the store and have a chat, letting him know that you two should come to some kind of an agreement, or you will not be back again.
I have mailed him first thing when i found this out Saturday and still wait for his reply.

It's not that i have a problem with the hardware, i just find it unfair that he told me the set only went with Mapex hardware which apparently wasn't the case.

I absolutely agree with you john and tho it may not seem like that judging by my topic, i am one of those people who searches for hours to find that specific drum kit for the cheapest price possible. The day after my purchase considering my 30 day money return guarantee i just wanted to make sure i have spend my money wisely. The shopkeeper was sort of mysterious about the name which should have alarmed me right there and then. Well, after some searching it turned out to be a Big City Kit, which went for 750 $ in the US so i considered the trade of my used td-4k + 150 euro to be reasonable. So, i let it rest and enjoyed the kit without ever thinking about it again. Until Saturday when i found out by accident that the same kits are being sold by a different name and a totally different price, plus even without the hardware too!! All things desired by me but impossible according to the shopkeeper who i unfortunately met. Call me suspicious, but that reeks like plain old fraud if you ask me and i feel like a fool.

Never heard of the Limited Edition Bopset, and never seen the Big City kit around here. I've seen the Big City at on-line sites, and it's at the lower end of the price range.

The only similar thing I've once seen locally was the Mapex FastPack, and that's an inexpensive kit.

Hard to say what the situation is with smaller, local shops. You've got to do a little research, but if they're in the business, they should be more well informed than the majority of their customers, so they can offer them advice, to steer them in the right direction.
If they can't do that, then there's no advantage (and some disadvantages) compared to buying from a big box store.

Never heard of the Limited Edition Bopset, and never seen the Big City kit around here. I've seen the Big City at on-line sites, and it's at the lower end of the price range.

The only similar thing I've once seen locally was the Mapex FastPack, and that's an inexpensive kit.

Hard to say what the situation is with smaller, local shops. You've got to do a little research, but if they're in the business, they should be more well informed than the majority of their customers, so they can offer them advice, to steer them in the right direction.
If they can't do that, then there's no advantage (and some disadvantages) compared to buying from a big box store.
They are long enough in the business and the guy that helped me even called his boss about it. So i was lied to simple and plain.

Then maybe it's time to look for someone else to do business with.
That goes beyond saying! I just hope i am still able to work something out with the shopkeeper and until then i certainly won't tell him that!

Can you actually provide a link to this "Limited Edition Bop" that you're talking about? I can't find any information about it on Mapex's web site. What series of drums is it? Honestly, without more information, it sounds like you've misinterpreted something.

If it's a limited edition, it may be possible that it wasn't available 6 months ago when you bought your Horizon Big City. According to Mapex's website, the Horizon Big City only come in the preconfigured setup which includes the hardware pack, which indicates that the shop owner was telling you the truth.

Just a thought.

If it's a limited edition, it may be possible that it wasn't available 6 months ago when you bought your Horizon Big City. According to Mapex's website, the Horizon Big City only come in the preconfigured setup which includes the hardware pack, which indicates that the shop owner was telling you the truth.

Just a thought.
Thanks! I am glad to hear that the shopkeeper was telling me the truth about that part. I have contacted him and proposed to trade the complete kit against something else. I have yet to get his reply.

Back