Need Ride Suggestion

<(' . '<)

I am looking for a ride that is very pingy that doesn't have a lot of sustain. I also want it to be a very aggressive cymbal. A ride that is crashable is not really a concern so if anyone can help me out please let me know. I'm open to any suggestion of a semi pro to pro grade cymbal.

Zildjian Ping Ride or Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride or the Reflector Bell Ride come to mind.

I say Zildjian Z series, or if you can find the precursor, a 22" Zildjian Earth Ride will do the trick. No crash, just a painful 'ping' sound and a cutting bell.

A Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride might be what you're looking for. They manufacture them in four different series. I own two of the Hand Hammered series and one of the HHX. They're 21" in diameter and they're a medium/heavy cymbal. Play a couple the next time you're in a well stocked drum shop.

Dennis

I have the Sabian AAX RBDR, very pingy, not very washy at all and I wouldnt crash it.

F

Zildjian Ping Ride or Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride or the Reflector Bell Ride come to mind.

This.

22" Paiste Signature "PowerSlave" Bell Ride. A very musical, glassy ping with a bell that sounds like a train is coming!

If you want to hear a studio sound clip of that ride, check out my latest recording, particularly around 1:50: http://youtu.be/a2ncOZb82_I

The only downside is it's probably one of Paiste's most expensive rides.... but worth every penny.

34ocv9x.jpg

Just a suggestion if you are looking for a ride with a more pingy sound and less sustain, chris coleman puts duct tape on the underside of his rides for that precise sound. Very personal, however it may help you achieving the sound you want.

I have a 20" ufip natural series ride. It's very thick and low pitched so it makes a terrible crash but it's an awesome rock/metal ride, cuts through the band really well. The bell is also very powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJPutY8_24

I'm currently playing the Meinl extra dry ride. Nice ping, little sustain. It's wash is subtle but it's got a little attitude as well.

+1 on the Paiste Sig. Dry Heavy Ride. To take it a step further, the Paiste Sig. Dark Metal ride has even less ring/sustain, but still has a great sound, and bell (but darker and maybe quieter). They don't make them anymore, but you can find them on eBay.

I have a Sabian APX 20" Ride (which I'm looking to sell) which certainly is bright and pingy but dry. Might be an option for you.

I agree with the Sabian Raw Bell Dry Ride suggestion. I have played both the AAX and AA versions: very pingy and distinct, great bell. Peace and goodwill.

I'm getting a lot of dry ride suggestions, so I'll look into that the most. Would a smaller ride (18 or 19) give more of a focused sound or would a larger one (20-22)? Or does it depend on the manufacturer and series?

I do not think the diameter matters much concerning ping. Peace and goodwill.

Would a smaller ride (18 or 19) give more of a focused sound or would a larger one (20-22)? Or does it depend on the manufacturer and series?
Size determines volume and all other things being equal, smaller will be higher in pitch. What you're really after is a heavy cymbal because they're the pingiest of all. Dry refers to how much sustain it will have. You can have larger dryer cymbals that are thin and therefore won't have as much ping. Since you're looking for dry and pingy, I'd suggest something heavy for sure. I'll second any of the Sabian RBDRs as they do that really well and have great sounded bells. I'm not as familiar with the Paiste's mentioned, but I have no doubt they'd do what you're looking for. Anything that says "power" or "metal" in the name will also likely do it, as will any Zildjian Ping ride, though I don't know if they'll be as dry as you want. I had one many years ago and it was definitely pingy, which is all you're going to hear when playing with a band, and if you're band is loud enough, it won't matter nearly as much how dry the cymbal is since whatever wash or spread is under the ping gets consumed by the music anyway.

Size determines volume and all other things being equal, smaller will be higher in pitch. What you're really after is a heavy cymbal because they're the pingiest of all. Dry refers to how much sustain it will have. You can have larger dryer cymbals that are thin and therefore won't have as much ping. Since you're looking for dry and pingy, I'd suggest something heavy for sure. I'll second any of the Sabian RBDRs as they do that really well and have great sounded bells. I'm not as familiar with the Paiste's mentioned, but I have no doubt they'd do what you're looking for. Anything that says "power" or "metal" in the name will also likely do it, as will any Zildjian Ping ride, though I don't know if they'll be as dry as you want. I had one many years ago and it was definitely pingy, which is all you're going to hear when playing with a band, and if you're band is loud enough, it won't matter nearly as much how dry the cymbal is since whatever wash or spread is under the ping gets consumed by the music anyway.

Thanks you gave me what I was looking for.

I have fallen completely in love with the Sabian 20" Leopard ride I bought recently. My other ride is a 20" HHX Evolution which I really like too, but the Leopard is just a beast for that jazzy ping, and expressive bow sound. The Leopard has a very distinct ping and is heavy enough that it doesn't build any wash (unless you use the bow and do it with purpose). It has a very unique undertone sustain that sounds like a choir of angels in the background (I'm serious, turn it up). ;)
Here's a link to my pathetic attempt to demonstrate it.
Sabian 20" Leopard Ride (raw finish).

Sabian HH Power Bell

It sounds like an anvil. It's total one trick pony.but it sounds great for metal and extreme music.

Back