Derek Roddy drops in (& knocks on the Guru custom) - video!

Andy

Honorary Member
I had a blast in London and great meeting some of you guys. I had hoped that I would have had more time but was great to play on the gurus and hang for the little time I had.
Andy I got your email......yes post the vids up. Also thanks for the kind words.
Drums sound great and feel killer to play on. You got a good thing going.

Til next time

Cheers
D
Thank you Derek, for both your time out, & your kind words.

Guys, here's the short video clip. Recorded on a Zoom Q3.

I could watch Derek all day. Such a happy vibe shining through his stunning playing. What a drumming ambassador!!!

http://youtu.be/9T3J1FM-PiM?hd=1

Yeah!! --- That video is too short though ;-) No more footage of Derek on a Guru kit?

Yeah!! --- That video is too short though ;-) No more footage of Derek on a Guru kit?
Sorry Ark, Derek started playing, & after I'd spent a minute fumbling to find my video camera, he'd pretty well finished. in fact, you can hear me asking Derek to knock out a groove, realising I'd missed almost all of his playing.

Derek had been signing stuff on the Meinl stand for ages, & had places to get to, so we were grateful for the short time he had to spend with us. BTW, he happens to be a really warm & accommodating guy :)

I'm quite pleased with the drum sound on this video. The stand was quite dry, as it's surrounded by hangings. Also, the kit wasn't exactly that well in tune after two days of demonstration. When I got it home, I took it straight to band practice. In all honesty, at the practice, it sounded like crap, but I was too beat up to be bothered tuning it up. As this is my new personal kit, tuning to my liking is a work in progress :)

Yeah, bummer you didn't get more footage but it sounds like you were lucky to get what you did. Great to see Derek on this kit (and not a blast beat in sight)! : )
BTW- LOVE the rack set-up on this kit. Is it a Gibby or...?

Yeah, bummer you didn't get more footage but it sounds like you were lucky to get what you did. Great to see Derek on this kit (and not a blast beat in sight)! : )
BTW- LOVE the rack set-up on this kit. Is it a Gibby or...?
Yes, Derek was a star, & I was lucky to capture what I did :) I don't know what a "Gibby" is. The rack is a first series Yamaha Hexrack. Originally owned by forum member Wes, & for the last two years or so, our show rack for custom sets & recording setup.

As this was my personal kit, as I'll be giving it to Mikey Hanson*] tuning to his liking is a work in progress :)

Aw, gee, Andy! Thanks....you shouldn't have!!

Will this kit work without a rack? As a 4-piece? In particular, legs for floortoms, etc. I understand it's a floating system, but can it be used in a more traditional setup without compromising the sound quality?

*Not sure if I read that right. I had a great dream last night.......

Last edited:
That rack is solid, the toms dont even shake.
Yes, you could hang anything from that rack, without the slightest fear of movement.

Aw, gee, Andy! Thanks....you shouldn't have!!

Will this kit work without a rack? As a 4-piece? In particular, legs for floortoms, etc. I understand it's a floating system, but can it be used in a more traditional setup without compromising the sound quality?

*Not sure if I read that right. I had a great dream last night.......
Mikey, you're a very naughty boy for altering my quote ;) ;) ;) Kit pictured here has a floor tom with legs. Origin kits are designed to work with any stand setup, & still deliver superb isolation. Both floor tom legs & bass drum spurs are mounted on brackets that do not attach to the resonant shell. No drilling to the resonant shell whatsoever, & the RIMS mounts attach to the lugs, not the tension screws.

Absolutely drool-worthy- have no trouble believing it's as solid as a rock.
And yes I meant Gibraltar (not such an uneducated guess Arky)! : )
I can stand on those rack arms :)

Sorry....been watching way too much U.S. Debate coverage.

Damn I'm really regretting not going to the drum show. Next time.
Make it a date Mikey. There's always a few cool guys like Derek who are happy to hang & inspire.

I was very inspired by one pro who tried our drums in the demo room. The UK's only blind pro drummer. He had his guide dog & his bass player with him. Once he was orientated, he was away on the kit, & sounded pretty damn good too :) He had such a happy & positive disposition, you couldn't help but be humbled. His dog was very cool to. Obviously very used to drums. As a confirmed dog lover, I was inspired by her too.

Just when you think you've seen it all!

Those sound fantastic, especially the snare, are they still the Aquarian heads?

Kudos to Derek for taking time out of what I am sure was a tightly packed day!

Last edited:
Wow...he likes them....he really likes them.They sounded great too.

Just an idea Andy....but have a camera ready to go at the next show.

My high school friend and band mate from long ago was a NYC Fire Lt.(ret),and part time inventor.Long story short,he invented several training tools for firemen,and we demonstrated them at trade shows all over the country.We finally decied to let some of people who come to the show use the tools,and video taped then doing so..firemen or not.

We obtained release forms and made a short vid for the website.It was up for a while,then my bubby decided to take it down...still don't understand why.

Anyway...fore warned is fore armed.....so the next time,,be ready and actively seek out a few pros to "have a go" on your stuff.Just an idea.Cheers:)

Steve B

Those drums sound fantastic! Derek is great. I met him at a clinic he did here about a year ago. Really fun to watch.
Yes, Derek is a very personable guy, one of the boys, & great to watch. I enjoy his stuff, even though it's far away from what I like. A great ambassador for drumming :)

I can vouch the drums are sooooooooooooooooo light.

I simply couldn't believe it.

Davo
Thanks Davo - yes, our gravity defying drums :)

Those sound fantastic, especially the snare, are they still the Aquarian heads?

Kudos to Derek for taking time out of what I am sure was a tightly packed day!
major kudos to Derek. He was clearly busy, yet took time out to meet some forum members, & have a bash on the kit. TBH, the kit wasn't well tuned by that stage of the show, + being surrounded by hangings, it was sounding dry on the camera capture. That said, compare the audio to typical footage shot at exhibition booths, I think it stands up pretty well. Good headphones essential!

Wow...he likes them....he really likes them.They sounded great too.

Just an idea Andy....but have a camera ready to go at the next show.
Steve B
Yes Steve, Derek did seem to like them, although we're really not allowed to say that ;)

I walked back to our booth, & Derek was already playing the kit! I did have a camera on hand, but had to scramble to find it, after one of the guys had put it "somewhere safe"! Anyhow, Derek was good enough to play a bit longer :)

Back