Jazz rides

kafkapenguin

Is the most used ride in Jazz the Zildijan K dark ride? or is there another. Also, my 3 favorite Jazz drummers are Paul Motian, Ben Riley and Roy Haynes, anyone know what rides they usually use? Thanks for any info.

cheers

Sometimes it is hard to figure out exactly what a certain artist is playing for a ride cymbal at any specific time because jazz players usually switch it up and play more than one ride. If you want to hear some great players make some beautiful sounds on lots of different rides, check out this site.http://mycymbal.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103

Yes, Roy is all about the flat. When he played with Chick Corea he used a period Paiste 602 Flat Ride.

I have a 20" K Custom Dark Ride and it's pretty loud. I wouldn't use it in a combo but it would be great for big band or fusion. I'm using it tomorrow night with my band when we play a louder-than-usual club.

A medium or light 20" K (or other hand hammered cymbal) is a pretty standard jazz sound. I believe Roy Haynes played a 22" 602 flat on Now He Sings, Now He Sobs-- that's a famously "Roy" sound. Paul Motian played a 22" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Ride-- or the earlier 602 and "transitional" versions of that cymbal-- he owned a lot of them. I haven't put Riley on a particular cymbal-- maybe a 20" A. medium (when those were lighter and funkier than they are now), or a 20" medium/light K.

As of this moment, my Jazz ride is a 20" K Custom Dark and a 20" K Custom. I also love flat rides and i have both the A custom and the K custom Flat ride with the K being my favorite.

I just scored a 21" Sweet ride which i just love. I'm using it with my rock and blues gigs because i wanted some wash and a ride i can crash on. I'm thinking of trying it with my Jazz gig as well.

A medium or light 20" K (or other hand hammered cymbal) is a pretty standard jazz sound. I believe Roy Haynes played a 22" 602 flat on Now He Sings, Now He Sobs-- that's a famously "Roy" sound. Paul Motian played a 22" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Ride-- or the earlier 602 and "transitional" versions of that cymbal-- he owned a lot of them. I haven't put Riley on a particular cymbal-- maybe a 20" A. medium (when those were lighter and funkier than they are now), or a 20" medium/light K.

that ride sound on "now he sings now he sobs" is a sound I have been chasing for years

especially on "Matrix"

the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear the ride cymbal in that tune

that ride sound on "now he sings now he sobs" is a sound I have been chasing for years

especially on "Matrix"

the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I hear the ride cymbal in that tune

Yeah! Me, too, brother. Hearing that cymbal sound on that particular tune was a significant event for me.

I don't own a flat ride but I'm going to get one some day. And it will probably be a vintage 602.

I really don't know what is the most used ride for jazz, but I like the sounds of the Zildjian K Custom 20" Dark ride, Zildjian K Constantinople 20" Medium Thin "low" and the Sabian Hand Hammered 21" Vintage ride. Another close contender is the Sabian Hand Hammered 20" Jazz ride.

Dennis

Yeah! Me, too, brother. Hearing that cymbal sound on that particular tune was a significant event for me.

I don't own a flat ride but I'm going to get one some day. And it will probably be a vintage 602.

Don't hesitate to get one of the new ones— they sound just as good, and are probably at least a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. I played a new 20" medium ride next to my beat up, just about played-out one from the 60's; the new one is more live, but they're obviously the same cymbal.

especially on "Matrix"

You're not alone there. For me it's that record, Nefertiti, and Rejoicing (with Billy Higgins playing a 20" 602 medium ride sizzle cymbal)-- those are just quintessential ride cymbal records.

One thing I am really taking away from what all the responders have to say, is how the 602's seem to have a sound that I am looking for...but wow! they are expensive! I feel that for the sound I am looking for overall, my choice in ride is the most important part of my kit.

So I have my eye on a 20" K dark ride from the 70's and an 22" A 60's. I should say that this is for strictly acoustic settings, mostly a piano trio. My current ride, which is a sabian SBR 20' just doesn't cut it for me, I like it more as a crash then a ride. Which of these two would better suit me? thanks.

I love that sound! Soooo expensive though.....

Think of it as an investment. Top quality cymbals often increase in value. Just look at what 50-60 year old K's sell for compared to what the purchase price was. Look at the recent increase in price for Spizzichino cymbals.

Craig's cymbals are expensive, but consider them an investment. You can play them for 5-10 years and if you truly tire of the sound, you can probably sell them for more than you paid for them. (Given how poorly some of my investments have behaved in the last 10 years, I would have been better buying Spizzichino and K cymbals!) And as a jazz drummer, you likely to only have a few cymbals. Therefore, make those few cymbals great cymbals!

GJS

Back