Good day/bad day check-in

8Mile

Platinum Member
So yesterday, I sat behind the drums and couldn't play anything. I had no ideas. My hands and feet weren't working. I had no inspiration and no passion for playing anything.

But today, just now, I sat down and everything clicked. My hands were working great (for me), everything coming out really clean. I had ideas for days, even played some stuff I've never played before. If not for the fact I live in an apartment and playing is pretty much always an imposition on my neighbors, I would have never stopped. I could have gone on for hours.

We all have good and bad days with our instrument. The lows of some are greater than the highs of others, but it's all relative; nobody likes a bad day and we all live for the good ones.

This thread is where you can check-in with how your playing is going today. You can vent and express frustration over a bad day. And you can shine on about your good one. Most of all, maybe we can offer each other words of encouragement to remind those who check in with a bad day that it can all turn around tomorrow.

8-Mile checking in with a GOOD day today.

Bad day for me. Trying to pull out a fast fill towards the end of a song for yet another drum cover without stuffing it up (and a collective groan goes out from the audience)! : )

My day was indifferent. Still put my time in on the kit and a pad, didn't necessarily have a bad time with anything, it was just a check in that I can still play, and yep, I can still play.

Indifferent.

Most of my days are indifferent. I want them that way because they just keep me in shape to do the daily playing gig, when I have to be on in front of people. If they're happy, then I'm happy.

happened to me today

I don't wanna talk about it

:)

....but seriously it did.....and when I came here and saw this thread it actually lifted my spirits

thank you

crap day check in ......first one in a long long time....I was due I guess

My day was indifferent. Still put my time in on the kit and a pad, didn't necessarily have a bad time with anything, it was just a check in that I can still play, and yep, I can still play.

Indifferent.

Most of my days are indifferent. I want them that way because they just keep me in shape to do the daily playing gig, when I have to be on in front of people. If they're happy, then I'm happy.

Bo...........Don't talk like that, man. You love drumming, we all do that is why we do it, surely?

I know to you it is, literally, a job, but don't let it sink to just that level. What can we do to help you get the joy back?

Bad day...

...didnt play.

Everytime I practice, I feel like an idiot, because I work on things I'm not good at yet.

Everytime I gig, I feel like a God because I can play the crap out of the stuff required for my gigs.

God/Idiot. Keeps me balanced. I know I'm neither.

3 of the last 4 practice sessions I've had were good days. Progressing along with the new material I'm working on. One of those days though, nothing worked and once I realized my focus wasn't there, I got up and turned off the lights.

Crap day today, as I would usually be attending band practice, but we're having a band meeting instead. So, crap because I'm not playing tonight, & crap because I'm expecting not to enjoy this meeting one bit.

Most of my days are crap practice days, because I rarely get the chance to practice. Sure, I could maybe find a few minutes to use a pad (if I owned one), but why depress myself still further.

Even when (comparatively) I have a crap day behind the kit, I'm having a good day :)

Went in with a couple of buddies on a new practice room in town, took my drums down there, and now I wish they were here in my office so I can play 'em. Dammit. I get a good 45 to an hour a day on them here, but now they're locked up in a room downtown and I can't get to them when I need to. I'm getting them back asap.
And it's raining. Rainy days in Germany always get me humming Black Sabbath tunes. Cheerful....

Went in with a couple of buddies on a new practice room in town, took my drums down there, and now I wish they were here in my office so I can play 'em. Dammit. I get a good 45 to an hour a day on them here, but now they're locked up in a room downtown and I can't get to them when I need to. I'm getting them back asap.
And it's raining. Rainy days in Germany always get me humming Black Sabbath tunes. Cheerful....

Sounds like a good excuse for a second kit :)

Good day.

After a frustrating week or so I have finally purchased myself an acoustic drum kit.

Having come off the back of a very expensive divorce where I got the kids, the debts, and she got seemingly the money, I have a very low budget for some acoustic drums. A couple of hundred quid is pretty much it for the time being...circumstances may change but for now I'm grubbing around at the bottom end.

So I responded to an add on Gumtree last week...no response....chased...no response...after all, why humour me with a response anyway, it's not like I was offering the guy money to buy something off him.

Later in the week...exchanged a few messages with a young girl in Scotland....looked like we had a deal...then nothing...nada....no responses to emails firming up on delivery/payment.....not a jot.

So, been keeping an eye out on Ebay....and finally today got my hands on a Sonor kit...no idea what type, or what cymbals/hardware, just that it's a kit and it's cheap and within a 10 minute drive from me. £80...so I guess I can gamble on it being half reasonable for that kind of money.

Can't wait to pick it up...then I guess I'll need some decent cymbals and I'm away to go.

Finally have acoustic drums to gig with rather than my extremely good, yet not very 'street cred' electric kit...

Good day.

After a frustrating week or so I have finally purchased myself an acoustic drum kit.

Having come off the back of a very expensive divorce where I got the kids, the debts, and she got seemingly the money, I have a very low budget for some acoustic drums. A couple of hundred quid is pretty much it for the time being...circumstances may change but for now I'm grubbing around at the bottom end.

So I responded to an add on Gumtree last week...no response....chased...no response...after all, why humour me with a response anyway, it's not like I was offering the guy money to buy something off him.

Later in the week...exchanged a few messages with a young girl in Scotland....looked like we had a deal...then nothing...nada....no responses to emails firming up on delivery/payment.....not a jot.

So, been keeping an eye out on Ebay....and finally today got my hands on a Sonor kit...no idea what type, or what cymbals/hardware, just that it's a kit and it's cheap and within a 10 minute drive from me. £80...so I guess I can gamble on it being half reasonable for that kind of money.

Can't wait to pick it up...then I guess I'll need some decent cymbals and I'm away to go.

Finally have acoustic drums to gig with rather than my extremely good, yet not very 'street cred' electric kit...

You're going to love playing the acoustics.

Good day. (yesterday) had rehearsal with my new band which went well. I just left a band, with the feeling I'm making the right decision at the right time. (it's not very often I make a decison I KNOW is right) AND I'm still good friends with everybody in the old band. Yay.

Even when (comparatively) I have a crap day behind the kit, I'm having a good day :)

That's my view too, I'm grateful to be able to play my drums whenever I want, it might change soon when I move to the UK though.

Yesterday (Sunday) was a bad day, nothing really good came out, so I put my fav CD on and played with it, it wasn't much better, hopefully, tonight it will be a bit better than yesterday.

Cool idea for a thread Larry, we can come here and moan about ourselves or tell the world we're the best drummer in the whole universe :)

We're the best drummers in the whole universe.

You're going to love playing the acoustics.

I know...
The worst buy/sell decision I EVER made in my life was selling my Mapex M Pro when I was in need of a few quid.
Bought for c£500....c£300 invested in cymbals....c£200 invested in bags....c£150 invested in microphones....sold for £600......damn damn damn damn damn....and I even transported them 200 miles.....and never even got a cup of coffee on arrival.
Damn

Never make that mistake again

any day behind the kit is a good day! I have but one kit. For the past month my band has had gigs every weekend and when I gotta take them in and out of a basement I just don't have the energy to set them up, tear them down, set them up, tear them down all the time. So I plan on setting up my practice pad and my pedals tonight and practicing with that. Jam along to some tunes, work with my click track, and use some marching sticks to build my chops. Happy drumming everyone!

I had a good day yesterday when I got home and was able to finally play with my 17" hi-hats and make a video of it that I posted up on YouTube - and then started a thread about it here so you all can see the results.

But, and since I post here so often, I'll let you all know I'm entering a bitter phase that I'm sure Andy (Keep it simple) will relate to, and maybe more than a few of you here as well. Since 2009 my dad has been dealing with cancer and yesterday evening after my 'dad visit' I've come to terms with the fact that he's not getting any better. So this morning, I'm at work preparing forms for the Family Medical Leave (FMLA) so I can take off work at any time while I'll be needed to care for him. Hopefully I can aide in keeping him more comfortable, and pray that he miraculously makes a strong recovery, but he has other issues linked to other illnesses as well so everything is just getting more complicated and it will continue to take its toll on an 80-year-old body that's always been there for his kids. I hope to make him happier and more comfortable when I go get him one of those nice powered reclining lift chairs, and at least now we have a nurse/therapist that comes to the house to check up on him. So I'll be dealing with a bit more for a little while. But I will remain positive. Happy drumming everybody!

Back