Heads toms coated? (Jazz)

Piebe

I see a lot of jazz drummers using coated heads on the toms, what is the purpose of this?

Coated heads were also the first heads to come out. So, it somewhat has to do with tradition and getting the tone qualities that Philly Joe or Elvin got with their drums. Also, Coated heads are pretty much required on any drum if you want a decent brush sound.

I see a lot of jazz drummers using coated heads on the toms, what is the purpose of this?

drummers of all styles use coated heads

they produce a more controlled warmer tone

I prefer coated all around no matter what style I am playing

You find a lot of non-jazz drummers do the same as well.
Coated heads give you a warmer sound. Some might also do it for the look, who knows.
I've read Gavin Harrison actually say he prefers coated heads because he doesn't want
to look at a bunch of screws while playing, LOL.

Tommy Aldridge talks about using clear heads, just so he can see what's going on stage. ha ha

It didn't sound like he had any other reason.

Up to this point i have only a coated snare, because of the brushes. Don't have the money to change my clear heads on the toms. Thanks for the replies.

I use coated heads for the warm tone - particularly with maple shells. Maple shells have a warmer tone than a lot of other shell types, so the coated heads are a good match.

When I put coated resos on, it got even better. I'd noticed a few folks doing this and the local Starving Musician was having a big sale so it was worth a try. Double ply coated on top, single ply coated on the bottom.

A pro friend of mine suggested that plain coated heads are harder to tune (he lives by them though). Probably because of the way they sustain with a rounder tone, you hear overtones more than thwacky clear or damped heads.

Back