Elvin In a Bind

few people know that Elvins wife Keiko was actually his drum tech.

she knows everything about drums and would often even set up and break down his kit

I had heard of Elvin introducing his wife as his drum tech, but I always just assumed he was being facetious (as he was known to)... that's very interesting.

I actually have a cool story about Keiko.....well I have several ...but this is a good one

I went to see Elvin with Jazz Machine at the Knitting Factory in LA I guess around circa '99 or '00.....I had already known him for a couple years and had studied with him a few times at this point ....so I visited with Keiko and Elvin before the set backstage then took my seat at my table.....directly in front of Tom Leykis....a radio personality who talked about this incident the next day on his show funnily enough....

anyway Elvin dropped a stick during a drum solo and it rolled to the front of the stage.....I probably shouldn't have but I walked to the stage and grabbed the stick....with every intention of putting it back in his bag after the set........one of the stage guys who worked at the Knitting Factory came over to me and ripped the stick rudely out of my hand and walked back stage.....

Keiko saw this and I watched her follow him and take the stick from him....go over to Elvins stick bag ...where I thought she would just put it back as I intended to.....but she grabbed another stick and walked off the front of the stage and up to my table and handed me both sticks.....as if to say to the stage guy.....F U....hahaha

I have carried those sticks in my stick bag since that night

I actually have a cool story about Keiko.....well I have several ...but this is a good one

I went to see Elvin with Jazz Machine at the Knitting Factory in LA I guess around circa '99 or '00.....I had already known him for a couple years and had studied with him a few times at this point ....so I visited with Keiko and Elvin before the set backstage then took my seat at my table.....directly in front of Tom Leykis....a radio personality who talked about this incident the next day on his show funnily enough....

anyway Elvin dropped a stick during a drum solo and it rolled to the front of the stage.....I probably shouldn't have but I walked to the stage and grabbed the stick....with every intention of putting it back in his bag after the set........one of the stage guys who worked at the Knitting Factory came over to me and ripped the stick rudely out of my hand and walked back stage.....

Keiko saw this and I watched her follow him and take the stick from him....go over to Elvins stick bag ...where I thought she would just put it back as I intended to.....but she grabbed another stick and walked off the front of the stage and up to my table and handed me both sticks.....as if to say to the stage guy.....F U....hahaha

That's awesome. I'd love to hang out with you over some beer or something and hear more stories like this.

I'd love that as well

we should all have a few beers at some point

I love to travel

Gvd: Taunting me with stories of pure awesomeness on a regular basis for a year now.

Man, when we finally get together, the beers are on me. I just want to keep hearing the stories!

Gvd: Taunting me with stories of pure awesomeness on a regular basis for a year now.

Man, when we finally get together, the beers are on me. I just want to keep hearing the stories!

beers on me brother....for sure

You have to tell us what kind of sticks they are, please.

Cool vid. When you mentioned French there was a glimmer of hope it was a gig I was at...nope, wrong french anyway.
My story isn't as cool as GVD's but it'll stick w/me forever.
I went to see Elvin at The Rising Sun in Montreal about 32 yrs ago and as a kid (16ish) I'm in the club sitting at the table right up in front of the stage. I'm alone at the table because all the cool cats wouldn't sit "there". Keiko comes up to the stage, sees me and smiles at me (I had no idea who she was) then proceeds to tweak the drums, finishes gives me another smile as she leaves - total sweat heart, as I recall this as a 48yr old guy.
So, later, Elvin walks in from the back (there's no back stage, the green room is at the back of the bar) sees me, as he's getting on the stage, and gives me a smile and a "hi". The rest is a bit of a blur.

Last edited:

WOOOOOOOOW.

beers on me brother....for sure

I second this. You'll have some beers on me as well.

By my tally we've got dmacc, gvda, 8mile, and wsabol all getting together and buying each other beer. That's at least 4 beers per guy if each one buys one round. What's the best drum key for a hangover?

By my tally we've got dmacc, gvda, 8mile, and wsabol all getting together and buying each other beer. That's at least 4 beers per guy if each one buys one round. What's the best drum key for a hangover?

I'd say let's get some more people....

Great Story! Thanks for sharing.

Cool vid. When you mentioned French there was a glimmer of hope it was a gig I was at...nope, wrong french anyway.
My story isn't as cool as GVD's but it'll stick w/me forever.
I went to see Elvin at The Rising Sun in Montreal about 32 yrs ago and as a kid (16ish) I'm in the club sitting at the table right up in front of the stage. I'm alone at the table because all the cool cats wouldn't sit "there". Keiko comes up to the stage, sees me and smiles at me (I had no idea who she was) then proceeds to tweak the drums, finishes gives me another smile as she leaves - total sweat heart, as I recall this as a 48yr old guy.
So, later, Elvin walks in from the back (there's no back stage, the green room is at the back of the bar) sees me, as he's getting on the stage, and gives me a smile and a "hi". The rest is a bit of a blur.

I lived up the hill from the Rising Sun back in the day and had a pretty cool time there as well, but my favorite was The Esquire Show Bar, met Roland Kirk there and there were only about 10 people in the joint but man he played well. Those were good times in Montreal.

Back