Anyone using GAFFERS tape for dampening heads?

I'll probably start a new thread entitled: "So how many wasted heads do you have laying around?"

I'd join that thread. [actually, I'm living a little through you vicariously, as you're kind of on the same search I am at the moment]
I use gaff tape all the time. I like that thing that that guy Jared[?] does....a single square of toilet paper folded until it's about 1"x1", centered under a strip of gaff tape. It's like adding a 1/4 slice of moongel. It gives the ring a more controlled fade out so it's not the last thing you hear. Works great for me live and in the studio. Way cheaper than moongels, even though I have an emergency set.

I'll admit it!! I'm a Muffler!!

I can't help myself. It's like a fever. An addiction. Is there a group I can join?

I'd consider anything (except duct tape). Where do you get this Blu-tak (Blue-Tack?)

Yeah, my bad - Blu Tack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack

I get it from major suppliers of stationery. In Oz we have Officeworks.

Whatever happened to just putting our pitifully thin wallets on the snare and taking it away when not needed?

I've seen that done - highly effective!

Yeah Pol.....I was dumb enough to be suckered into buying some in order to check it out. As a general rule I'm not a "muffler" per se. But as I'm sure you're aware, I don't believe in absolutes either. There are many times I've needed to muffle....often because it's quicker and easier to do so than to totally retune (and no amount of naysaying from strangers on drum forums will stop me doing it. Close micing doesn't hear their objections and neither do I). Hence the Moongel.

But as for your angle.....Blu-Tak? As long as all roads lead to Rome, Pol.....I'm down with it. Same outcome, different product (and price!!) IMHO. :)

Yeah, DMC has talked about how office putty does the same job as Moongel but much cheaper. I've not even seen Moongel. Not even noticed it in shops.

Back in the day there was less choice with heads so dampening was pretty well compulsory. I was thrilled when pinstripes first came out because the dampening was pre-done by the head.

Zero rings anyone? ...they liberate full tone when you hit the drum by raising into the air and come down to cut unwanted overtones.

Attachments

• remo1.jpg
    remo1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 820
Zero rings anyone? ...they liberate full tone when you hit the drum by raising into the air and come down to cut unwanted overtones.

I do use one on the 16" Floor tom. That thing just rings all day. I'll be switching heads on that one shortly though and set aside the ring.

On all my snares, they really seem to add a bit too much dampening. I'm a borderline muffling goon myself. Nothing chronic though. Just occassional as the symptoms arise.

I've been trying to nail down a head as bright as the Ambassador, but with a bit more control. I've used the ST, HD Dry, Reverse Power dot, G2...and a few others.

The HD Dry really darkens the tone, while the ST needs more dampening.

It is coming down to either the ST Dry or the HD - as was recommended by 2 evans reps. I've almost given up on wasting the cash to guess on the ultimate head - so I figured I'd try to work with a head that at least give the brightness I desire. So damn picky...I know.

I'll probably start a new thread entitled: "So how many wasted heads do you have laying around?"

I'd join that thread. [actually, I'm living a little through you vicariously, as you're kind of on the same search I am at the moment]
I use gaff tape all the time. I like that thing that that guy Jared[?] does....a single square of toilet paper folded until it's about 1"x1", centered under a strip of gaff tape. It's like adding a 1/4 slice of moongel. It gives the ring a more controlled fade out so it's not the last thing you hear. Works great for me live and in the studio. Way cheaper than moongels, even though I have an emergency set.

I might start that thread tomorrow. I'm going to GC to pick up an ST Dry and/or the HD (not dry). At least I'll know I've tried all the heads I could.

I've been trying to nail down a head as bright as the Ambassador, but with a bit more control. I've used the ST, HD Dry, Reverse Power dot, G2...and a few others.

The HD Dry really darkens the tone, while the ST needs more dampening.

It is coming down to either the ST Dry or the HD - as was recommended by 2 evans reps. I've almost given up on wasting the cash to guess on the ultimate head - so I figured I'd try to work with a head that at least give the brightness I desire. So damn picky...I know.

GREAT NEWS!!! I Won't be starting that thread!!! (at least not yet for 14" heads!).

I just got back from GC and picked up both the HD and the ST Dry. Slapped on the HD and tuned it up. WOW - Exactly what I was looking for! BRIGHT, but just a tad dryer than the prior Ambassador, and a shorter, controlled ring - WHICH IS STILL THERE! What's cool is that if I hit about 3 inches off center, it will give me that nice trademark ring. I'm stoked!

You guys have educated me though a bit on options for that 16" Floor. Rings forever...

What head combo are you using on your ft? Also what brand is the FT, wood it's made from and size.

What head combo are you using on your ft? Also what brand is the FT, wood it's made from and size.

DW Collectors - Maple wood. Currently using G2 batter, and the stock DW reso head. I think it's a 10m clear that Remo makes for them. Size is 16 wide x 14 deep. For now in the studio, I have to use a Remo ring and I even have one inside the drum on top of the reso.

I'm thinking of using the Aquarian Perfornance II's next.

DW Collectors - Maple wood. Currently using G2 batter, and the stock DW reso head. I think it's a 10m clear that Remo makes for them. Size is 16 wide x 14 deep. For now in the studio, I have to use a Remo ring and I even have one inside the drum on top of the reso.

I'm thinking of using the Aquarian Perfornance II's next.

Have you played around with different tunings on the batter and reso head? Just wondering if you have the heads a little too tight. That combo should sound really good. A coated batter might add a little more focus to the sound.

If i use anything,it's gaffers tape. Any gigging band should have a couple of rolls in the van. Sometimes the mic can hear things that you can't. I have only ever used it at the request of soundmen,and then not often.I have never needed more than about an inch on a snare,usually less.the tiniest piece can usually remove the problem.

Have you played around with different tunings on the batter and reso head? Just wondering if you have the heads a little too tight. That combo should sound really good. A coated batter might add a little more focus to the sound.

I've got the reso tuned tighter than the batter. But overall, the tone is deep and fat - just a little bit long sustain. Coated G2 on there right now.

I've got the reso tuned tighter than the batter. But overall, the tone is deep and fat - just a little bit long sustain. Coated G2 on there right now.

Try having the reso tuned lower than the batter.

also might try and ec2 from evans for the batter

+1 the toilet paper & gaffer's tape. Back in the day I'd use a little square of paper towel and duct tape. I didn't worry about tape residue because I was such a hard hitter that my Emperors wouldn't last more than a few gigs anyway.

Nowdays I like everything open and ringing.

The old wallet trick works really well. There's even this little gimmick:
http://www.thedrumwallet.com/

+1 the toilet paper & gaffer's tape. Back in the day I'd use a little square of paper towel and duct tape. I didn't worry about tape residue because I was such a hard hitter that my Emperors wouldn't last more than a few gigs anyway.

Nowdays I like everything open and ringing.

The old wallet trick works really well. There's even this little gimmick:
http://www.thedrumwallet.com/

Now that's a Cool IDEA! I'm gonna have to go out to my workshop and look around for some fabric and stuff. That's cool how you can flick off and on with the stick.

I actually liked the sound of his snare before the muffling though.

Gaffers tape doesn't cut down on as many overtones as moongel because it's lighter and less sticky. This might be what you want, but unless you have a roll of Gaffers tape lying around, I'd say just cut a moongel in half and stick it all the way to the edge of the drum and see how that works.

Back