Let's Decipher a Fill.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Opeth's 2011 release, Heritage, is really awesome. I mean REALLY awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtTr6G5Xg30

Go to 4:40 and check out Martin Axenrot's (badass) fill into the pipe organ-breakdown (woo!). What the heck is he doing there in the second bar? It sounds like quintuplets to me, but I'm not really sure.

Cheers,

Nerflad

Edit: On second thought, I think that's a flute.

You mean around 4:47? I'm still kinda new to this... But I don't hear any triplets/quintuplets. Sound like this to me (forgive the bad beaming and rest-grouping, Noteflight...). Oh and some of those snares in measures 2-3 should be toms, and there should be some flams at the beginning, I got lazy.

Attachments

• famine.png
    famine.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 266
You mean around 4:47? I'm still kinda new to this... But I don't hear any triplets/quintuplets. Sound like this to me (forgive the bad beaming and rest-grouping, Noteflight...). Oh and some of those snares in measures 2-3 should be toms, and there should be some flams at the beginning, I got lazy.

I hate to say this, but that's definitely not it... the tempo stays the same and he's clearly moving away eighth notes. He fits it into two bars, not three. Like I said, it sounds like quintuplets (5 notes to a quarter) to me, but I can't really tell.

Wow really nice feel.

the first part is Flam Kick Kick Flam Kick Kick Flam kick .In the second part he is playing triplets in 4 note grouping starting each phrase with two sixteenth snares followed by a tom and two kicks:
SnaSna Tom Kick Kick, SnaSna Tom Kick Kick, Snasna Tom Kick Openhat plus Snare.

I hope my explanation makes sense. Otherwise if you could recommend me some easy software to notate it, i would gladly do so

I got it figured out. If you count through it like I am, and consider the first snare accent to be the One of a new bar, I'm 95% sure this transcription is correct. I can export this as an audio file comparing it to the original if anyone wants to hear it.

Attachments

• Famine (Excerpt).jpg
    Famine (Excerpt).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 237
If anyone cares to hear it, this is the fill by itself and then played at the same time as the recorded track.

(the fill audio I made is the midi output of Guitar Pro dumped to a WAV)

Attachments

• famine_fill_comparison.mp3
    489.8 KB · Views: 133
I got it figured out. If you count through it like I am, and consider the first snare accent to be the One of a new bar, I'm 95% sure this transcription is correct. I can export this as an audio file comparing it to the original if anyone wants to hear it.

I do believe that's it. There's a technical musical term for a fill like that...NICE!

Great job!
I still think that by having 12 notes in that bar it makes more sense to play it as triplets. It's just easier and lazier hahahaa

Thank you!

Yes, triplets would definitely be a lot easier than "I am now going to cleanly and evenly play 11 notes where 8 should go"! That's why it was sounding so weird to me. I'm not familiar with that subdivision (I mean who is, other than Vinnie?)!

Back