Beatles Tribute Show - Come Together

?uesto

Silver Member
This is the kid's performing arts studio my sister sings at (she's singing lead on this tune) and I play some of the shows for them. This Beatles show was a nightmare. I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles so I had to learn 15 songs, pretty much from scratch, in a week with just two rehearsals (and all the singers are 14-17). But I got my buddy who studies Jazz guitar and grew up on The Beatles to play the show, and the bandleader/bass player was pretty cool, so it wasn't too bad. Fun show, all in all.

Here's Come Together. I'll put more up if my sister ever gets around to uploading them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEYWZtpcfY

This place was tiny and everything else was cranked on the PA. I had no mic's, and the girls were still complaining that my drums were too loud and they couldn't hear themselves. On top of that, the one monitor there was right at their feet, which is fine, I could hear them, but they kept telling me to play softer. I only realized on the recordings after the fact that I was not playing loud enough.

The faster tunes of the night, (Back to the USSR, Twist & Shout, I Want to Hold your Hand, etc.,) were so much harder to play at that volume.

I would agree too, it's a very "gentle" version :)

... but in such little time, you did a good job on the drum part and feel, just need a bit more "guts" into the playing.

My sister just went to New York for a family trip and my uncle plays drums for Chick Singer Night, so my sister played there as well. She did this, Yesterday, and Valerie by Amy Winehouse. She and the band all sounded killer, and did an incredible job. Certainly the quality of musicians in the band was probably the main reason, but also having a larger venue where volume isn't as much an issue and you can play at 100% definitely helped.

This place was tiny and everything else was cranked on the PA. I had no mic's, and the girls were still complaining that my drums were too loud and they couldn't hear themselves. On top of that, the one monitor there was right at their feet, which is fine, I could hear them, but they kept telling me to play softer. I only realized on the recordings after the fact that I was not playing loud enough.

My sister just went to New York for a family trip and my uncle plays drums for Chick Singer Night, so my sister played there as well. She did this, Yesterday, and Valerie by Amy Winehouse. She and the band all sounded killer, and did an incredible job. Certainly the quality of musicians in the band was probably the main reason, but also having a larger venue where volume isn't as much an issue and you can play at 100% definitely helped.

A solid groove isn't about volume. Hell, you could have put towels on the drums and hit them harder and it would have been lower in volume and stronger in feel. The overall feel is wimpy and lacks depth. If you're in a small room why do you need vocal monitors? You should know where you are in the song. And if it's a bad take, why are you posting it up for review?

You learn when you stop making excuses.

A solid groove isn't about volume. Hell, you could have put towels on the drums and hit them harder and it would have been lower in volume and stronger in feel. The overall feel is wimpy and lacks depth. If you're in a small room why do you need vocal monitors? You should know where you are in the song. And if it's a bad take, why are you posting it up for review?

You learn when you stop making excuses.

Not trying to make excuses. Just explaining why I'm not playing at full volume. There were t-shirts on the drums, the girls needed a monitor and honestly, they go off in such crazy directions if they don't the material that I have to hear what they're doing to compensate.

The girl who did Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds had ZERO concept of rhythm and in the verse, she didn't know how to come back on a 1, and either kept singing through, or waited too long, so I had to play bass drum on 1 and then again on 2 to almost start the measure over again for her. There were countless examples of this that night.

Like I said, not trying to make excuses, but it was tough to listen, to hear, and to play and not have it fall apart. I'll do my best to play with more authority and with a stronger groove next time. =]

Too funny!! A rock and a hard place. Agree with Nelson - I didn't feel the passion but you guys did well - you kept it tight and that's half the biscuit.

?uesto, you said you hadn't listened to much Beatles ... do you like Come Together as a song? No one's at their best with songs they don't love.

Too funny!! A rock and a hard place. Agree with Nelson - I didn't feel the passion but you guys did well - you kept it tight and that's half the biscuit.

?uesto, you said you hadn't listened to much Beatles ... do you like Come Together as a song? No one's at their best with songs they don't love.

It's alright. A little overplayed in my opinion. I personally loved doing the later stuff (The Long & Winding Road, Strawberry Fields Forever, Let it Be, etc.) Not that Come Together isn't some of their later work, but it's one of their most popular songs that everyone's heard a billion times. I definitely felt that stuff more and I think it reflected in my playing.

Back