Considering Selling a Drum Set and Would Appreciate Feedback

Chunkaway

Silver Member
So I currently have several drum sets that are giving me very similar sounds.

2 C&C kits -both 3 ply, both are 22/12/16 and both have rounded edges for a vintage Ludwig sound. One for studio work and one for gigging.

A Ludwig Legacy kit - 3 ply for a vintage Ludwig sound. 22/12/16

An early 1970s Ludwig Standard kit for a ...you guessed it...vintage Ludwig sound. 22/13/16

A 1968 Ludwig Jazz Downbeat set, for a ..never mind. 20/12/14

My C&C kits are my main gigging/recording kits, so I'm hanging on to those two. The 1968 Ludwig was a gift from my mom many years ago, so that one will stay.

So...my question. I'm considering trying to sell or trade my Legacy kit OR my Ludwig Standard kit. I was thinking of selling my Legacy kit to pull off a Gretsch Brooklyn or a New Classic to give me a different sound, although I'm not a fan of 18" deep kick drums. The Gretsch Renowns are interesting but the finishes are terrible, in my opinion. The USA Custom are $$$$.

I was also considering a Yamaha Club Custom kit as they seem to mesh modern and vintage. I can't find these used...at all, so I would have to shell out some coin for this choice. Or....I have been thinking about just selling my Ludwig Standard and trying to get into a cheap Rogers or something like that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about these choices? Should I just hang on to the kits I have?

First world problems, I know.

I have gone to EVERY drum store near me (even three hours away to Seattle) but I have not been able to play any of these kits besides a Gretsch New Classic, which I thought sounded great, albeit very modern sounding. I have listened to a ton of youtube clips (more for the Gretsches than the Yamaha simply because they are more popular) to try to get a sense of the sonic characteristics.

Keep the Legacy kit,and sell the Standards to someone you know.They are coming up in value lately though,so that is something to consider.Personally,I would sell one of the C&C kits,since you do have two.

Steve B

Keep the Legacy kit,and sell the Standards to someone you know.They are coming up in value lately though,so that is something to consider.Personally,I would sell one of the C&C kits,since you do have two.

Steve B

Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated. As for the C&C kits, one basically stays in the studio/rehearsal space and the other is for gigging. I like the sound of these two kits more than any of my other ones, which is why I want to hang on to both.

Sell both kits available for sale. Get something that you always wanted. Tama makes fine stuff. Or Sonor. With Ludwig.... you've been there done that. Life's short!

I find that 4 kits are enough. One always set up at home, one to gig with, one to leave at practice space, and one more just in case you have 2 gigs in one day but you don't have enough time to break down and set up your kit and so you hire someone else to have the other kit ready for you.

You could be the first guy on your block to own Andy's Guru Origin kit. Think big!

I'd agree with putting both kits for sale, and then leave them there. However, when they are up for sale, you might regret selling one of them, and then you just put that sale down. Works every time ;)

Please forgive my ignorance on the Ludwig stuff, but they're both 'vintage' kits right? (wether in age or sound, as I said, I'm not exactly versed in this side of things!!!)

If you're looking for something with a vintage sound to replace 2 vintage sounding kits..... You can see where I'm going with this.... Is there something wrong with these kits to the point anything else is going to sound massively better????

As I said, I'm a total Lehman on these issues, but sometimes the simplest question can be the most poignant......

Please forgive my ignorance on the Ludwig stuff, but they're both 'vintage' kits right? (wether in age or sound, as I said, I'm not exactly versed in this side of things!!!)

If you're looking for something with a vintage sound to replace 2 vintage sounding kits..... You can see where I'm going with this.... Is there something wrong with these kits to the point anything else is going to sound massively better????

As I said, I'm a total Lehman on these issues, but sometimes the simplest question can be the most poignant......

Well, yes, I guess they both are "vintage" sounding kits. The Standard kit is definitely vintage in every way. The Legacy kit has modern, upgraded hardware, and it definitely has a slightly brighter, more open sound. (Still doesn't sound like a modern kit with a double 45 bearing edge, but it is definitely louder, more open sounding than the Standard.)

There is definitely nothing wrong with either of the kits I am considering selling. They are actually in great condition, sound great, play well, etc... However, to my ears the C&C kits I have sound a bit better than anything else I own. So, basically, I'm looking for a different sound. The vintage Rogers and vintage Gretsch kits I have played certainly sound different than the vintage Ludwig stuff. The modern Gretsch kits definitely have a modern sound, although they have a pretty high price tag.

Sell everything but the 1968 Downbeat. That's all you need.

What finish is it? Pics? Start a thread, por favor...

Ha! It is a gold sparkle kit-original everything with clear interiors. I actually am using it to teach my daughter to play. (She likes the smaller sizes.) The kit actually sounds wonderful, but the kick doesn't have quite enough "oomph" for the music/venues I'm playing. I'll try to find some pictures of it.

Gold sparkle, huh? Nice!

the kick doesn't have quite enough "oomph" for the music/venues I'm playing.

I don't buy it. On my bass drum, I have an EMAD batter and a ported reso with a felt strip. It kicks the butt of any other kit I've played. If you want more "boom", maybe go for a bigger bass drum, but if it's "punch" or "oomph" you're going for, that 20x14 clear maple interior drum is as good as it gets...

Gold sparkle, huh? Nice!

I don't buy it. On my bass drum, I have an EMAD batter and a ported reso with a felt strip. It kicks the butt of any other kit I've played. If you want more "boom", maybe go for a bigger bass drum, but if it's "punch" or "oomph" you're going for, that 20x14 clear maple interior drum is as good as it gets...

Boom is what I'm talking about. It is plenty punchy enough. My bandmates describe it as "presence" which I think is accurate. If I was playing miced venues, that kit would work. I have to say, I also prefer 16" floor toms to 14".

Thought one is:

If you want something "different" then go for something really different, like a Yamaha Oak, a a Tama birch-bubinga or such that is not another thin-maple based shell. Selling a kit just to get a similar-ish kit hardly seems worth the effort.

Thought two is:

You seem to really like the vintage Ludwig sound, so my guess is you're not going to enjoy anything really different, so why bother?

Thought one is:

If you want something "different" then go for something really different, like a Yamaha Oak, a a Tama birch-bubinga or such that is not another thin-maple based shell. Selling a kit just to get a similar-ish kit hardly seems worth the effort.

Thought two is:

You seem to really like the vintage Ludwig sound, so my guess is you're not going to enjoy anything really different, so why bother?

Two very good thoughts.

1.) I'm open to a bunch of different sounds, I just have a soft spot for Gretsch kits as well as Ludwig. I had a problem with a new Gretsch kit about 6 or 7 years ago, so I had given up on them. And then I played a New Classic and dug the sound. I have never played the Yamaha kit, I just like the way they sound on the clips I have heard.

2.) I do really like the sound of vintage Ludwig kits, so that is a very good point. I would like to branch out a bit though as I find having one "sound" a bit more constricting than I would like.

I would have a hard time choosing one of the kits.. Or should I say I would like to be the one who has to decide because then I had all that really cool stuff?

To make a long story short, in terms of sound, the easiest way to get a different sound is to change heads. To be honest, I don't really believe that changing drums is anything but an equivalent to changing heads. Most drummers probably can't tell one kit from another with identical heads and tuning.

If I really had to sell one, I would decide emotionally.
For instance I sold a Sonor Lite kit due to the fact that I was fed up with its old fashioned look, though it was still a superb kit.

Well, that wasn't very helpful I guess ;-)

I think the hardest choice for me would be which of the two kits to trade in for a Gretsch Brooklyn. The Legacy? hmm.....

Three hours from Seattle you say? Well, if you're in portland, the trade up music on alberta has (at least a week ago did) a used gretsch new classic three piece for a grand. 22", 10", 14" I think, natural maple with a bubinga inlay. If it were me, I'd lose the legacy. A kit to emulate the vintage sound, when you already have the vintage gear, not to mention the two C&Cs that also emulate it.

Three hours from Seattle you say? Well, if you're in portland, the trade up music on alberta has (at least a week ago did) a used gretsch new classic three piece for a grand. 22", 10", 14" I think, natural maple with a bubinga inlay. If it were me, I'd lose the legacy. A kit to emulate the vintage sound, when you already have the vintage gear, not to mention the two C&Cs that also emulate it.

Really? When did they have that kit? Sh*t, I'll go down there right now!

Really? When did they have that kit? Sh*t, I'll go down there right now!

I've been working a lot, so my since of time is a little off, so it may have been two weeks ago. They've got a sexy little Starclassic too, green sparkle, 18" kick, not what you're looking for though.

On the C&C note, I've been eyeing those player dates, but the toms come with coated batter and reso heads, I may have to ask Jose if he'd let me bring in come clear heads and switch them out. :D

I've been working a lot, so my since of time is a little off, so it may have been two weeks ago. They've got a sexy little Starclassic too, green sparkle, 18" kick, not what you're looking for though.

On the C&C note, I've been eyeing those player dates, but the toms come with coated batter and reso heads, I may have to ask Jose if he'd let me bring in come clear heads and switch them out. :D

Very cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to try to head down there today or tomorrow.

I'll bet you Jose would do that for you. I'll bet there won't be a ton of sonic difference though. I played those Player Dates and they are very cool!

Thought one is:

Thought two is:

Before even reading DED's response, these were my exact thoughts. You have kits that sound the same, because you like that sound, and you bought kits that sound the same. Did you say that they sound the same? :)

So, if I were you, I'd buy something totally different. Don't buy another maple kit (ie don't look at the New Classic). Try something in birch, or bubinga or oak and expand your horizons. Even if you still like maple the best, you'll have a new sound to experiment with. Have fun!

Back