ok so if drum heads to a drummer......

robyn64

are like strings are for a guitarist, are sticks important to a drummer like picks are to a guitarist?

does this make sence or do i need to explain my question a lit'l better? lol

Yes they are. Pretty good comparison between 2 things that are very different. Not sure that changes anything in your world though.

ok so if i choose my sticks the same way i choose my picks, then i've done good right?

ok so if i choose my sticks the same way i choose my picks, then i've done good right?

I think there's a lot more to picking sticks than picks (and I've done both over the years). Picks come in thicknesses, textures, etc. but they all fit in your fingers essentially the same and have very similar action. Sticks come in an incredible amount of variety, with different playing actions and sounds depending on length, tip, taper, weight, material, diameter, etc. etc. etc.

I guess if you have an uncomfortable pick, it can affect your playing, but I know that if I grab a pair of sticks that are not correctly sized, and try to play for a couple hours, I can get the claw hands.

All the time, guitarists lend each other picks. I carry my stick bag when I have a reasonable expectation of playing when I go somewhere.

So no, don't pick sticks the same way as picks. You need to make sure they fit correctly in your hands, have the proper amount of rebound and control, and are straight and true. A lot more care needs to go into choosing sticks, in my opinion.

I think there's a lot more to picking sticks than picks (and I've done both over the years). Picks come in thicknesses, textures, etc. but they all fit in your fingers essentially the same and have very similar action. Sticks come in an incredible amount of variety, with different playing actions and sounds depending on length, tip, taper, weight, material, diameter, etc. etc. etc.

I guess if you have an uncomfortable pick, it can affect your playing, but I know that if I grab a pair of sticks that are not correctly sized, and try to play for a couple hours, I can get the claw hands.

All the time, guitarists lend each other picks. I carry my stick bag when I have a reasonable expectation of playing when I go somewhere.

So no, don't pick sticks the same way as picks. You need to make sure they fit correctly in your hands, have the proper amount of rebound and control, and are straight and true. A lot more care needs to go into choosing sticks, in my opinion.

i understand what you explained, but i'm a lit'l different then most guitarist, i am very picky bout what pick i use, and yes there is a difference in how they feel in your fingers, i hate the thick hard picks, won't ever use one on any of my guitars, and i don't like the ones that are bigger sized then normal, if i forget my pick... well i'm s**t out of luck unless someone has a thin soft pick with them and that usually isn't the case. anyway thanks for your opinion and in a round about way it did answer my question. :)

are like strings are for a guitarist, are sticks important to a drummer like picks are to a guitarist?

I'd say they are. I'm also a bass player, and I have a heck of a time trying to find a pick I like. I've got a bag full of picks that I've tried and not been satisfied with. I've got it narrowed down to three different ones, based on the tempo and rhythm of the song.
I have my favorite sticks for normal use, but I also carry a few pairs of other sizes for other things.
Since drums, to me, are more important than bass, sticks are more important than picks. But each matter.

I'd say they are. I'm also a bass player, and I have a heck of a time trying to find a pick I like. I've got a bag full of picks that I've tried and not been satisfied with. .

no disrespect mikey but you'll probly never find a pick that satifies you coz real bass players don't use picks. lol , i'm just kidding.

no disrespect mikey but you'll probly never find a pick that satifies you coz real bass players don't use picks. lol , i'm just kidding.

haha yeah, I'd rather not use one, but these old fingers just can't flutter like they used to....
I need a battery-operated blastbeat speed pick with adjustable tempo option!

Back