The Ludwig Curse

Dealer says I have to send it to Ludwig for "warranty inspection" and I have to pay for shipping, myself. I get 50% of the shipping cost as store credit, however...which is maybe $10-$15. It took more than a week to arrive at this but I guess it's a start.

Dealer says I have to send it to Ludwig for "warranty inspection" and I have to pay for shipping, myself.
Well, that sucks, bro. I'm sure Ludwig will inspect the kit and give you your money back, though. If your lucky, they might even give you the shipping costs back.

Good luck

Looks like someone changed plans. FedEx is picking up the drum, tomorrow! Hopefully I'll have a brand newbie on my doorstep, in a few weeks.

I'll agree that DW does a fine job, and do come close. But 100% perfection? I don't know of any major manufacturer that can claim that. If I had to name a drum maker that is probably 99.999% with their drums, it would be Craviotto. Of course, you pay for that kind of workmanship and attention to detail.

Sorry Zam about the repeated problems with Ludwig, I've had only a few problems and nothing structural, just some yellowing lacquer, and they quickly discontinued the finish in question and replaced the drums. I will say that Ludwig has majorly stepped up their quality control in the last 6 months. I realize that doesn't help you with any of your drums, but don't assume that Ludwig is in some sort of downward spiral - they're not. They've had some issues, they've sought to correct them, and based on 3 kits I just took delivery on last month, it's clear that they have. Wrap, hardware, seams and edges are flawless. And no, they don't pay special attention because they're my drums. My orders get put through right along with everyone else's, I'm not even sure my name appears where the workers can see it (I'll find out tomorrow, I'm going to the factory.)

But I know I can't re-sell you on Ludwig. I know what it's like to encounter repeated frustrations, whether it's with restaurants, people, or occasionally gear. Sometimes you have to move on. :(

Bermuda

Without wishing to hijack or flame here, I just got to say that I have never found a better constructed drum than the Yamaha RC range, and yes I have compared them to ALL brands, I recently reheaded my 20 year old kit, and the quality of the construction and finish IS 100%. You would swear they are brand new..

Without wishing to hijack or flame here, I just got to say that I have never found a better constructed drum than the Yamaha RC range, and yes I have compared them to ALL brands,

Including Craviotto? Brady? Sonor? Canopus? I could name 3 dozen more "custom" shops who each claim excellent QC.

Just checking, you did say "ALL brands". :)

Bermuda

No word on what Ludwig intends to do, yet. Should know something this week...maybe? The dealer did warn me that they can opt to repair the shell, if they feel it isn't too far gone to be salvaged. NOT thrilled about that at all, so I'm really hoping they do me right by just making me a new one. I do intend to sell the kit as soon as I get (whatever) back from Ludwig, so I'd rather not see the resale value of the drums take a nosedive, so Ludwig can save a few bucks. I hope they make the right decision here. :\

Got a replacement...arrived yesterday and looks excellent! Tuned right up. I think I'm good to go. :)

Great! You should just keep 'em, dude. You know what I'm saying? haha!

Yeah, I think you should keep them as well. You seem to like the sound, yet want to get rid of them on principle. I don't really get it.

Bermuda

Got a replacement...arrived yesterday and looks excellent! Tuned right up. I think I'm good to go. :)

I truly hope that you'll be happy with your Ludwigs,and I also hope you hang on to them.I'm glad this nightmare is over,and I hate to see this happen to anybody.
I have to admit also,that I drank the koolaide in the 60's and just love Ludwigs sound and look,and I think you do too.

Unless the memory associated with this is just too much,I would hang on to the drums.Whatever you decide to do,do it because it makes sense,and it makes you happy.Count to 10...breathe.....ooooooossssssaaaaa.:)

Steve B

I'm not keeping this particular kit because I don't really need it. I'm actually at the point where I'm equally as comfy on a 24" kick, FINALLY...so I'm keeping the big one and selling this one. I'm sure I'm cursed, not the kit, so let me know if you're interested in it. :)

Yep, Jimmy also does nice work.

Bermuda

Back