Playing drums with glasses? ..yes or no...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Grea asked Thaardy this question below in another thread.

BTW, are you wearing contacts these days or flying blind?

Which made me think, how many of you out there who's wearing glasses actually keep them on while playing?

I never wear my glasses when I'm playing drums, they just keep sliding off and eventually fall, I can see my drums though.

Contact lenses? Flying blind? Glasses? No glasses? Any tips and tricks?

I always wear my glasses when playing drums. I do not move my head that much, nor do I sweat much (air conditioning is my friend). Peace and goodwill.

I don't wear glasses, but when I did some gigs back in the day, I'd wear sunglasses for the first song or two just to look cool. The drummer I jammed with last Tuesday was wearing sunglasses the whole night. Yes, it was inside and it was night. He sure did look cool over there....for a drummer.

Maybe you can wear prescription sunglasses! Way cool!

Only when I have to read. Mine always stays put. Maybe you should see a good optician to adjust your glasses.

Dennis

If your glasses keep falling off when you play drums, you need to get better glasses.

I have to wear glasses as part of the wardrobe requirements of my band. They don't have to have glass in 'em, but I got them that way anyway.

...I put one of those wraparound holders so they don't fly off.

I wear them while I play 100% of the time. No issues here doing so. No tips or tricks other than I don't move my head a bunch when I play so that helps to limit the travel of the frames on my face.

Contact lenses here, so i don't have to worry about it. I've never tried playing with glasses though, i haven't worn glasses in years.

Although i can imagine the glasses would get pretty annoying with earmuffs pressing against them??

Grea asked Thaardy this question below in another thread.

Which made me think, how many of you out there who's wearing glasses actually keep them on while playing?

I never wear my glasses when I'm playing drums, they just keep sliding off and eventually fall, I can see my drums though.

Contact lenses? Flying blind? Glasses? No glasses? Any tips and tricks?

Now I wear contact lenses,but I used to wear glasses,and had the same problems with them sliding off.So I took a que from some white water rafters.They use surgical tubing to hold their sunglasses in place.It just slips over each lobe,and is infinitly adjustable.Its super cheap,lasts a long time,and you can buy it by the yard for about 5 bucks US..:)

Steve B

My glasses are to correct a depth perception astigmatism, so I don't need them to drum. I do, however, often wear sunglasses when playing out of doors. Keeps sawdust and buts of stick from getting in the eyes, too.

I do wear my glasses because if not I wont see where i'm hitting.

The most impressive drummer wearing glasses was defunt Joe Morello. I wouldn't miss a beat even if he had to push them back into place with one hand.

I where contacts whether I'm playing drums or not as I'm almost legally blind without them, but I have worn sunglasses while playing outdoors and not had any problems.

I wear prescription glasses since 7 years old. Yes I do wear them while playing the drums, they never bother or fall off while moving around the kit. I rather keep my eyes in movement than my head though...My uncle wears glasses too! ;´)

Attachments

• paice.jpg
    paice.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,047
Sorry for the OT post here but.....Ian is your uncle?I guess you have a great teacher,who knows how to keep his glasses on.:)

Steve B

I wear my glasses at all times and don't really have a problem with them while playing.I do sweat a lot, but I simply push them back up! My optician did spend a good deal of time getting them to fit really well, so they are snug to start with. You can also ask them to put longer hooks on the end of the legs that hook around the back of your ears and stop them slipping down.

Contacts, mostly. I don't really want to play with my fancy, and expensive for that matter, glasses from Prada. Too bad 'The Devil wears Prada' is already taken.

That is right man! He kept his glasses on for more than 40+ years of drumming...and still does!

Sorry for the OT post here but.....Ian is your uncle?I guess you have a great teacher,who knows how to keep his glasses on.:)

Steve B

Reactions: A J
Wear them. Otherwise everything past the bass drum is blurry. Yeah...that bad.

If your glasses are slipping off and you are not bopping your head a lot, then they need adjusted. Mine have never slipped off, but then again I don't move my head a lot.

I need glasses for distance. It's nice to be able to see the audience members faces and expressions, but generally I take my glasses off to play. My vision is good enough to drive without them, even at night, so my eyes aren't too bad. Still I do like it when I can see further away, but I look better without them on. Which isn't saying a whole lot. Every little bit helps lol. I am usually looking at the soloist or up in the air anyway. I hear things better when I look upwards.

Back