band member 'awareness'

opentune

Platinum Member
I've been in several different bands now. Very seldom do the members notice changes to my kit at practice - lets say new or different hats, ride, crashes, snare depth/kind, heads, smaller kick drum, or ported kick drum...etc . I end up having to tell them afterward that changes were made. But I notice their changes in gear instantly.
Maybe I'm invisible, or maybe drummers are just more aware?
I'd like to think many musicians in bands have pretty good ears for details.

You're not alone, I notice any small gear change from my bandmates. But I'm also a gear head regarding drums, bass, and a guitar gear. However, and maybe it's just my band, but they also notice changes in my gear.

Our gear is kind of like the 5th member of the band though, our wall of amps and the big drums kind of have their own personality, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've been playing lead guitar in bands for 20+ years and I have to admit that I never noticed a thing about the drummer or the drums. I really only noticed their ability to keep time. I would've have known cheap cymbals from top-of-the-line cymbals. All I knew is that they were loud and annoying. ha ha

I made a full time switch to drums around 1 1/2 years ago. I play in a cover band and an all original band. I can show up with a totally different kit with obviously different colors and nobody says a word. LOL... Now I'm on the receiving end of that.

So yeah, I've come to the conclusion from being on both sides of the fence that very rarely does anyone notice or care about drums or drummers. It's sad to say that and I may have to put on my flame suit soon (lol), but that's my opinion.

You're right Sgt.

People don't notice, many drummers don't notice either from some of the gear conditions I've witnessed (!).

If we are gigging, we all have had the "this kit is NOT as cool as mine" and have to use a back line, or share an iffy kit on a gig at one time.

Once I realized that people actually do not notice, nor do they really care what "you" use, I was able to just "go with it", and play on any kit and just have fun.

As long as there's a beat people can move, dance, jump, pump their fists too, that's all that really counts--because no one remembers anything else.

Yeah, my band mates miss everything new I get and I miss all their new stuff too. Seems like not all drummers have a good eye for detail.

Like Sgt, I only notice if things sound right or not. I always assume that any differences in performance are due to playing rather than gear, unless it's extreme. Sometimes I'll assume someone's having a bad day when really they were just trying to adjust to something new in their setup.

The bassist, guitarist and keys players notice each other's gear changes, but for them drums are "other" ... which, of course, they are.

Wow, I feel you guys have been unlucky.

My band notices EVERYTHING! If I've bought a new bit of gear, set something up differently, tuned my drums differently, even played them differently.

Theu always give me honest feedback and they love my gear. The guitarist knows my sound too and operates the desk to mix my drum mics for band practise. He always nails my sound.

The band fell in love with my new china, I replaced my old one (well, a year old, it broke) and changed it. everytime I hit it I get a nod of approval, which is cool.
I don't feel like I'm on my own.

Every person who's popped into our studio whether they are musicians or just friends have always commented on how awesome my drums sound too which astounded me as I couldn't grt my head round a non-musician saying 'your drum soundnis perfect, they sound really good. How much did they cost'?

But, you don't need to be a musician to know that good sounds good.

I always remember being disappointed with cheapo drumkit sounds when I first started and couldn't afford good gear so it does show that people CAN hear when you've bought good gear and tuned it properly. which is cool.

After all these years as a drummer, I've come to a conclusion... Most times (unless it's a situation where the band has a "musical director" or band leader), we drummers are more band-minded, while guitarists and vocalists are kind of just off in their own little self-absorbed world. I'm not sure why this is, but it is in many cases. Maybe it's because drummers are always given that "drummers aren't real musicians" bs, so we (subconsciously?) go above and beyond to prove that we're more than just cavemen pounding on things behind the real talent. And this is not just sour grapes on my part. It's just how it is.

After all these years as a drummer, I've come to a conclusion... Most times (unless it's a situation where the band has a "musical director" or band leader), we drummers are more band-minded, while guitarists and vocalists are kind of just off in their own little self-absorbed world. I'm not sure why this is, but it is in many cases. Maybe it's because drummers are always given that "drummers aren't real musicians" bs, so we (subconsciously?) go above and beyond to prove that we're more than just cavemen pounding on things behind the real talent. And this is not just sour grapes on my part. It's just how it is.

sounds like yr playing with the wrong cats

Yeah I agree with GV, you're probably playing with the wrong musicians.

Personally I think if the musicians you play with are good, confident and comfortable with their own level and ability and are really passionate about the music you are playing they will care about every aspect of the sound.

If they are only interested in their own instrument you'll probably hear it in their playing too and they'll leave no room for anyone else as they think they're the star of the show.

You can't sound good unless you all sound good though.

I notice every little detail and betweens us we all help refine our sound.
Also we have a unique thing going on in my band where I'm constantly telling the guitarist to turn up his volume live or on record and he's constantly pushing for the drums to be louder.
It's a breath of fresh air and I know I'm not being neglected or overlooked in the mix.
I used to hate the days at college where everyone used to compete to be the loudest, not caring about the mix at all.

I think the better the musician the more they will pay attention to this stuff. That's not a technical ability thing either, it's just how musical you are. Some people have it, some people learn it but, some people never ever can 'get it' or get over themselves.

A band is a team and if someone isn't supporting everyone else then it's time to replace them.

Harsh but true I think. Don't cheat yourself with selfish musicians!

Well, there's a stereotype that vocalists and lead guitarists are the "ego" guys in the rock band and the drummers and bassists are the easy to get along with guys who just want to play. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think there was a little truth to that. But the best musicians defy those stereotypes and it's worth finding them.

Unless you're getting paid...

If an MD is involved you'll probably not be put with selfish musicians anyway but, it can happen.

Some guys notice new drums or changes in configuration, some guys couldn't give a toss. Some guys comment on the sound of new things, some guys comment on old things as if it's a new sound and some guys don't comment about gear at all.

Generally speaking it's not something I actually expect anyone to notice anyway. As long as there's no complaints about the way I'm playing it, I couldn't care less that they couldn't care less what I'm playing it on.

Musicians are there to do a job. Why does it matter if they don't notice a new cymbal, or whatever? Do drummers notice when the guitarist replaces his strings? You take care of your gear, they take care of theirs. Sorry, but this is really silly.

Generally speaking it's not something I actually expect anyone to notice anyway. As long as there's no complaints about the way I'm playing it, I couldn't care less that they couldn't care less what I'm playing it on.

Exactly. Now if I got a radical new hair style ...

Musicians are there to do a job. Why does it matter if they don't notice a new cymbal, or whatever? Do drummers notice when the guitarist replaces his strings? You take care of your gear, they take care of theirs.

Agree with this too. I don't find it silly, just that people who are into gear will pick up different things to those who only care that the music sounds good, and then you have people who pick up everything - or nothing, the latter hopefully being in our past rather than our present.

Playing small group jazz, the other musicians always comment about the "sound" I'm
getting because they like it. These unsolicited comments are very appreciated as I have spent a lot of time and money trying to achieve a particular sound suited to these groups.

Musicians are there to do a job. Why does it matter if they don't notice a new cymbal, or whatever? Do drummers notice when the guitarist replaces his strings? You take care of your gear, they take care of theirs. Sorry, but this is really silly.

I notice when the guitarist or bass player changes their strings. You can't miss it! that fresh, bright zing, or ching to their sound.
and their obvious enthusiasm for playing with them.

It's not silly, just some people care about how they sound as a band and some people don't.
I like to know I'm surrounded by musicians who care as much about our sound as me.

I think it makes the difference and even if the crowd don't know why it sounds better they DO know it sounds better when real effort has been put into it.

Why dedicate years of your life learning an instrument, learning to play songs well as a band then tripping over the last hurdle by just not caring about the sound?

Seems daft to me...

It's not silly, just some people care about how they sound as a band and some people don't.

I don't go by that dichotomy at all, Chunky. EVERYONE with their head screwed on cares about the overall sound. How can you not? No thrill in playing a heroic drum track if others are struggling.

But some people care more about gear than others. I'd guess maybe 90% of the quality comes from the playing - the gear just gives or extra edge or, conversely, doesn't respond.

Who do you want in the band? Steve Gadd on a beaten up old rehearsal studio set or me playing the best gear ever made? No contest.

Well strings are pretty friggin' small now ain't they? I wasn't talking about somebody noticing a new wing nut on a cymbal stand. We're talking equipment.

The point isn't about what 'matters' its just that it is interesting (to some) how others are aware, or not. I can see its not interesting to you. So, maybe you don't look around at your band or they at you.

Playing small group jazz, the other musicians always comment about the "sound" I'm
getting because they like it. These unsolicited comments are very appreciated as I have spent a lot of time and money trying to achieve a particular sound suited to these groups.

COOL, THIS is great to hear. I'd appreciate members of that band, and they obviously appreciate you. Its not about being a gear head (which I don't espouse at all), its about hearing somebody's sound they are trying to achieve, with technique and their setup.

Ha, maybe in small group jazz, band members are 'listening' more?

Back