RISE ABOVE BREAK THE STEROTYPE

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
As I have been posting and reading some of the threads these days I have been doing some thinking about something I wanted to convey to everyone. Recently, I was even personally attacked on a thread because of something I said, people are arguing about practice, Ringo, drumshops, you name it. It's like a child fest in here sometimes. I realize its a forum, so please don't write me about that, yea I know its a forum to speak your mind but all some people are doing is keeping the idea alive that drummers are dumb, not musicians and just thugs that hit stuff. Come on guys and girls leave that kind of stuff for the guitar player forums.

RISE ABOVE!!! BREAK THE STEROTYPE!!! Being a drummer is awesome!!! Whether your a pro or whatever your case maybe. When I get together with some of the greatest drummers ever at Namm parties or events do you think we argue about drum related subjects. NO WE DON'T!!! We hardly even speak of drums, we ask about each others families and just shoot the breeze like regular buddies would do. We all know the trials and tribulations that go with being a pro drummer. These days its more like hows your back, hows your health? How are your kids? and of course we talk drums but it's all cool.

Being a drummer is something you should carry proudly, not sound like an idiot, or act like an idiot. There is no bashing, that just should not happen. PLAYING DRUMS IS LIKE BEING IN A BROTHERHOOD!! more than any other instrument. It's not a competition people. There is no room for bashing!! We should all agree on that.

Drummers have turned the table on the music industry from their playing styles, to electronics, loops, sequences and mostly their signature grooves. We are all not just sidemen anymore. You can be more than a sideman if you make your mark with your playing and your personality. Short points in case for example: Dave Mathews and Carter Beauford and trust me there are many more points in case where the artist always has the same drummer. WHY? Because its their comfort zone. If you have a good drummer behind you for the most part your worries are over and you can just do your thing. I have that exact thing going on for the last 22 years with Esteban so I know what I'm talking about. So Remember when your on this forum and in life in general to carry yourself like a drummer should, with pride and humility and confidence. Come on!! Rise Above. Be happy your a drummer and make us all proud!!

THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!!!!!

Joe, I think for the most part, discussions on here are pretty cool. Occasionally, there's a thread that gets silly for one reason or another, & that's cool too, so long as it doesn't get personal. I even like the frivolous & pathetic, again, with the caveat of mutual respect. In short, for me at least, it's only when disrespect creeps in, that I switch off.

Your observation about conduct when meeting in person is a very valid one. "Meeting" over the internet is a half measure. It's sterile, bereft of all the interpersonal queues that make interaction whole. Accordingly, it's potential for misunderstanding is huge.

Joe, I think for the most part, discussions on here are pretty cool. Occasionally, there's a thread that gets silly for one reason or another, & that's cool too, so long as it doesn't get personal. I even like the frivolous & pathetic, again, with the caveat of mutual respect. In short, for me at least, it's only when disrespect creeps in, that I switch off.

Your observation about conduct when meeting in person is a very valid one. "Meeting" over the internet is a half measure. It's sterile, bereft of all the interpersonal queues that make interaction whole. Accordingly, it's potential for misunderstanding is huge.

I totally agree with you Andy, and the disrespect did turn its ugly head so that as you said pretty much switches me off. Although I was really touched on this forum with the thread I put up about my daughters graduation had such a great response. It was so positive and I just totally dug that. Probably time for me to take a break from the forum. While I am here though I will tell you that my snare drum mmmmmmmmm YEA!!! I like this drum so much I might actually take it to dinner. Great job man.

I was really touched on this forum with the thread I put up about my daughters graduation had such a great response. It was so positive and I just totally dug that.

I think the answer is right there: don't take this the wrong way, but it's no coincidence that the one time you posted something that has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else you either received positive responses from people who are capable of experiencing empathy or complete silence from the loonies who couldn't find a way to turn the thread into something about themselves.

Most people don't listen to what anyone else has to say; most people don't bother to read things thoroughly anymore; when they do open their mouths or hammer on their keyboards they have just been waiting for their turn to talk about themselves. The internet hasn't changed that it just exacerbated it.

You'll wait a very long time to have a calm, reasonable and productive debate on the internet with a bunch of strangers who come from very different backgrounds. The only way to not let it bother you is to try and have fun. I saw that "personal attack" you got the other day . . . I thought it was hilarious: not the insult, but the thinking behind it. As though some random yahoo half way across the world can make you suddenly stop and question your entire way of life or system of values because of some crap he typed in five seconds. I'm surprised it upset you at all: presumably he hasn't met you and doesn't know the first thing about you. So . . . ?

This is the internet for you....
If you think forums are bad try playing games online!

The internet has created a way for people to say what they like without having to look people in the eye. People can be cruel or nasty to you without you being able to punch them or atleast poke them in the eye...

I think everyone gets 'attacked' on a forum at some time. When people have opinions they defend them whatever way they can or get frustrated that they can't explain stuff properly without being face to face.
I've been 'attacked' on here before for my opinions, sometimes if people put a good argument together I'll see it there way and apologise, other times my opinion stays the same and that is that. The trouble is not everyone can live with that and they want to change everyones opinions to their own and they'll keep on ranting forever (this is ironic).

I'll put my opinions across but, I know not everyone will agree and that's fine. Everyone is different.
People have probably felt like I've attacked them before. My tone probably changes the closer a subject is to my heart. and if I feel like someone is directly insulting me or talking down to me I don't even pretend to write a clever comeback I just tell them what I think (which will probably end in me being banned).

I saw Gruntersdads post to you. it did seem very harsh and uncalled for.
I have to say though, I've never seen him say anything like this to anyone before so maybe it was just bad timing (lol) he was in a bad mood already or just that the subject is close to his heart and he lost his cool. Happens to everyone, not that it makes it ok but he's usually really cool.

All in all there's tons of really cool people on here who I pilfer information from lol and look forward to hearing their posts even if they have polar opposite views to me. It's a great forum but, like all forums people disagree and some people come to disagree. Don't let it spoil your time here though :)

Message boards relate to a topic and the responses are anonymous. Obviously, that's going to generate a certain amount of disagreement and at times a "loosness" in what is being said. And that's cool - short of ad hominem attacks which are just rude and douschy.

What else do you expect to happen on a drum forum? We're not going to get together and start discussing politics, or film or sports. And if we did, there'd STILL be arguing! lol

Probably time for me to take a break from the forum.
I've felt like that from time to time. I think the post you're referring to was an out of character remark borne out of a momentary annoyance. I would't take that as personal, or a reflection on you. Just as, with respect, you didn't place a lot of thought into your levity post, I doubt there was much thought placed into the reply either. Whatever is the truth, please hang around here, as you have much to offer :)

While I am here though I will tell you that my snare drum mmmmmmmmm YEA!!! I like this drum so much I might actually take it to dinner. Great job man.
She especially likes cold water crayfish tails in chilli truffle oil washed down with a nice bottle of Amarone della Valpolicella Villalta. Unusual gastronomic bedfellows, but what a result! (ahem, I'm pretty fond of that combo too :) hint!)

Although I was really touched on this forum with the thread I put up about my daughters graduation had such a great response. It was so positive and I just totally dug that. Probably time for me to take a break from the forum.

Be buggered!!

You've got two daughters to go......you owe us at least two more threads before I'll entertain any more talk of you leaving.

If you're that bored, post a couple of pics of your bent hat stand.....that oughta lighten the mood. :)

I dont post on here very often but i do when something interests me. I totally agree with you.

Pretty much every forum is the same though, ive been on a few with different interest ive had and there is always the "forum git" lol.

I like to think im the same person online as i am offline, treat others with respect etc etc... A lot of people seem to put on a front so to speak when it comes to the social aspects of the internet

We need the pros like you to stick about!

Did you hear about the drummer who tried to commit suicide?

He tried to throw himself behind a train.

Joe, I think for the most part, discussions on here are pretty cool. Occasionally, there's a thread that gets silly for one reason or another, & that's cool too...

I agree, the discussions are often cool, interesting, funny, informative and very pleasant to read and participate, there will be always the odd moment where it slips into a little dispute, when someone "hit" that specific post from another member, like in real life, it's bound to happen from time to time.

All in all there's tons of really cool people on here who I pilfer information from lol and look forward to hearing their posts even if they have polar opposite views to me.

Certainely true Chunky, I really enjoy the shared experience, knowledge, humour, friendship, music within this forum, I read much more than I post (no, I don't have a life, lol) and I look forward to all the regular posters.

I like to think im the same person online as i am offline, treat others with respect etc etc...

Same for me.

Joe, I think Grunt was just having a bad day or something, or he didn't like his diner, or it was too hot in Florida, or he got up on the wrong foot, or maybe all three together, lol... the Mayor is a cool dude, he just used your post as a springboard to release his bad vibes of the day...

...I appreciate your posts Joe, please stick around (pun intended)

Joe's topic is actually the reason I originally left these forums before. A lot of people get bashed for asking certain questions, or talking about their technique. And many times if it's a simple typo, they get jumped by three or four guys. For what reason?

People come here for help and knowledge about drums, not to be bashed. I can honestly say I've never been rude or harsh to anyone on a drum forum, no matter how laughable their post seemed. But strangely, as kind as I've been, I've been the victim of personal attack, often because of a simple typo. Things should not be this way.

Last edited:
Joe's topic is actually the reason I originally left these forums before. A lot of people get bashed for asking certain questions, or talking about their technique. And many times if it's a simple typo, they get jumped by three or four guys. For what reason?

People come here for help and knowledge about drums, not to be bashed. I can honestly say I've never been rude or harsh to anyone on a drum forum, no matter how laughable their post seemed. But strangely, as kind as I've been, I've been the victim of personal attack, often because of a simple typo. Things should not be this way.

it probably wont ever stop all you can do is ignore it :/

Quote.....Joe, I think Grunt was just having a bad day or something, or he didn't like his diner, or it was too hot in Florida, or he got up on the wrong foot, or maybe all three together, lol... the Mayor is a cool dude, he just used your post as a springboard to release his bad vibes of the day...

First I will apologise to Joe for my comments, as they were said in haste, but had nothing to do with dinner, the heat, or getting up on the wrong foot. It had to do with one Pro Drummer, who is asking us to "Rise Above" and yet would make an unfounded comment about Ringo, Keltner, and the Beatles recording studio. I will be the first to say Rise Up, and have asked that on many occassions, such as the "For those who don't like the Beatles thread." But Joe will have to do his part in this as well. Being a pro drummer does not give someone a free ride when it comes to rumor, and bashing. I have done my part for years on this forum to abide by the rules, welcome new members, and promote drumming in general and have asked for nothing but respect. Nor for myself, but for all involved.

Is the AZ heat gettin to ya already Joe :)

I won't tell you that it's an internet forum because, you know that.

I will tell you that, at least one of us is just a dumb thug who likes to bang on the drums.

Internet forums need all kinds of posts and all kinds of posters. If someone says something you consider offensive you can ignore them or tell them to eff off. Either way it will be entertaining to me :)

In any forum you will need to sort thru the bullshit in order to find the gold.

And, I'm in central Phoenix if you want me to buy you a beer!

Last edited:
Be buggered!!

You've got two daughters to go......you owe us at least two more threads before I'll entertain any more talk of you leaving.

If you're that bored, post a couple of pics of your bent hat stand.....that oughta lighten the mood. :)

Awww pocket!! The hat stand thing still to this day just kills me. Thanks for the laugh and your kind comments. you always crack me up with that hi hat thing. maybe that thread was my greatest hour and I didn't realize it at the time. !! LOL

Is the AZ heat gettin to ya already Joe :)

I won't tell you that it's an internet forum because, you know that.

I will tell you that, at least one of us is just a dumb thug who likes to bang on the drums.

Internet forums need all kinds of posts and all kinds of posters. If someone says something you consider offensive you can ignore them or tell them to eff off. Either way it will be entertaining to me :)

In any forum you will need to sort thru the bullshit in order to find the gold.

And, I'm in central Phoenix if you want me to buy you a beer!

A beer is always possible and the heat nots getting me yet but its coming. lol

Hey Joe, I just noticed, are you biting your cymbal on your avatar?

What kind of dark brotherhood technique is that? lol!

Quote.....Joe, I think Grunt was just having a bad day or something, or he didn't like his diner, or it was too hot in Florida, or he got up on the wrong foot, or maybe all three together, lol... the Mayor is a cool dude, he just used your post as a springboard to release his bad vibes of the day...

First I will apologise to Joe for my comments, as they were said in haste, but had nothing to do with dinner, the heat, or getting up on the wrong foot. It had to do with one Pro Drummer, who is asking us to "Rise Above" and yet would make an unfounded comment about Ringo, Keltner, and the Beatles recording studio. I will be the first to say Rise Up, and have asked that on many occassions, such as the "For those who don't like the Beatles thread." But Joe will have to do his part in this as well. Being a pro drummer does not give someone a free ride when it comes to rumor, and bashing. I have done my part for years on this forum to abide by the rules, welcome new members, and promote drumming in general and have asked for nothing but respect. Nor for myself, but for all involved.

Ok, first of all I will accept your apology of course. No problem, but please lets get this straight and this was my main point all along. If you think what I said was bashing Ringo, I can see that. I'm with you on that one. I never bashed keltner, or the beatles or their recording studio or their music. EVER!! but I DID NOT BASH YOU!! Get it!! You bashed me personally, that makes it personal and then we have a problem. That's what I don't want to see on the forum. I just am trying to make you understand what I mean, sometimes its hard to get your point across via typing. Thats all I was saying dude. Everyone thanks for your comments and giving me a good laugh. Very much appreciated. Gruntersdad I hope you understand what I'm saying and lets just leave it at that. This thread needs to go away.

Back