Pollyanna’s 10 000 posts award retrospective…

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Hopefully you can both find some peace in your journeys.

My dad went really quick at only 62. Here today, gone tomorrow. Didn't have no closure, but I did see him earlier that year when he visited California.

My father and I had a very rocky relationship. He was an alcoholic and at one point had "disowned" me because I refused to support his habit.

Fast forward 3 years later and he called me telling me he was going in for bypass surgery. He was living on a boat in the marina at Hoover Dam in Las Vegas at the time. He insisted that my husband at the time and I wait until he was done with surgery and recovered before coming out to see him. We had a nice talk on the phone and he said "I love you" at the end of the conversation.

I called the hospital the day he came out of surgery and the nurse said he was in recovery and doing great. Less than 8 hours later, my brother called me telling me had died. I'm sure the years of alcoholism played hard on his organs and they all shut down in the end.

I did go to the funeral but seeing your father in an open casket after not speaking for 3 years is a hard reality to face. It is one of my great regrets. My father was far from perfect but I have some great memories of him when I was growing up and it is one of my few real regrets in life.

Polly, you have nothing to regret and that in itself is priceless.

MaryO

Sorry Polly (and Mary O too). I know this experience is coming down the road too soon for me as well, as my parents are up there in years. I've experienced incredible pain with a recent divorce and my kid hating me & now estranging herself from me for it. I admire your courage and intelligence through it all. Peace.

Thanks guys. Henri, I'm especially stoked about your blessings from Gob. I've always liked my food :)

Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve. This is a good one, though - my favourite Cozy Powell drumming performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74N-JmjBo8

Since this has been a really self indulgent thread for me I might as well use it for this ... my Dad died last night after having a heart attack in hospital, peacefully (insofar as the painful process of dying can be peaceful).

Just letting you know because some of my pals here would want to know. I don't feel especially sad or in need of condolences because he lived a full span (89) and probably had a more comfortable and enjoyable life than most (apart from dealing with his problematic daughters, of course :)

So sorry to hear this news. I am glad you posted it here, Mary too. And for everybody who has lost. The powerful thing that I take away from this is even though most of us exist in anonymity, we are not alone. Glad to know that I am not the only social animal on this planet. That would be lonely.

When it gets dark and painful, remember you/me are not alone. Very corageous discussion.

Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve.

Bermuda may take issue with this statement, and could offer Weird Al's biggest hit "Eat It". :)

p.s. It doesn't matter if boiled or fried, just eat it....

Henri, I'm especially stoked about your blessings from Gob. I've always liked my food :)

Oh my... talk about THE mis-typed spelling from MAD!!!

I'm so sorry Grea... *full red blushing* ...but, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your food :)

In an attempt to be forgiven, I'm putting a link featuring one of your first drumming hero, it's interesting to hear these versions, different than any records I know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AL73LYo64A&feature=related

Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve.

This, Nina Simone & Pete Towshend, drums by Simon Phillips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ga_ccwyw8o&feature=youtu.be

Polly, you have nothing to regret and that in itself is priceless.

A touching story Mary ...I can relate to your regrets, my mum was sick for the last four years of her live, during that time I had regrets about choosing to live abroad and not being there for her, but I was grateful to see her during my holidays during her last few days with us, I was by her bedside when she died peacefully in my arms, she was only 69.

Last edited:
Dear Grea:

Please accept my apologies for replying late on your Dad's death.

You are an strong woman with a big heart, who stood up and took care of a Father selflessly.

May God Bless Your Father and Rest In Peace.

PS: I just want to let you know. I still keep that letter of yours...

A gift to you: Cozy Powell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsOVCaLGyQ

All The Best,

Ian

Since this has been a really self indulgent thread for me I might as well use it for this ... my Dad died last night after having a heart attack in hospital, peacefully (insofar as the painful process of dying can be peaceful).

Just letting you know because some of my pals here would want to know. I don't feel especially sad or in need of condolences because he lived a full span (89) and probably had a more comfortable and enjoyable life than most (apart from dealing with his problematic daughters, of course :)

Last edited:
... my Dad died last night...

Very sorry to hear that. My condolences. (Even if you don’t want ‘em now, you can save them for later.)

But based on the available evidence--that is, you carrying around half his genes--he must have been a pretty cool guy in his day. Big props from my end for his 89-year run.

Grea, you have my condolences. There's an element of shock at first, then reflection is often the next phase. You gave your all to your Dad right up to the end and that's a beautiful thing. As difficult as taking care of him was, you will have no regrets.

The feeling of loss is a fresh one for me. I lost my Grandma two weeks ago, the last of my grandparents. She was 95 and lived a great life surrounded by love. She was a huge part of my life when I was growing up and really set an example for how to live life to the fullest. She never learned to drive a car and was widowed at age 70, but she never slowed down. She was pull-starting the lawnmower and mowing her own lawn into her 80s. To her last day, she was walking around with the help of a walker (no wheelchair).

You're in my thoughts. Play some good music and think of the good times spent together with your Dad.

:(
I'm sorry to hear this but, I also know this is what you wanted for him. For the suffering to be over.
You already know how I feel about your selfless dedication to him as a carer.
You're an angel who's more than earned her wings.

You'll meet again.

God bless the pair of you.

Grea,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Best wishes through the harder times.

Matt

Thanks again, guys. Very kind.

@ Mary, yes I can see how that would be hard. Inevitably that that hurt would leave a scar. Over time we all seem build up a fair collection of scars from those times when we've been stuck in impossible situations, like yours was. Not your fault. Probably not even your father's fault. More a case of sheet happens. We are all just flawed humans and some are going to be more flawed than others.

@ Henri - you know me ... I liked the typo greatly :) Great links too! Purple ... wow. One of the most fun bands ever, and with tons of talent.

@ Aaajn - we're never alone with DW! :)

@ larryz - I saw some blogger's list of food based songs where he ranked Eat It No 1. How about that? Weird Al and Bermuda cut Mick and Charlie (Brown Sugar).

@ Ian - I've not seen that Cozy clip before. OMG it's almost like Slade at times lol. Suspect Sting got the idea of Doo Doo Doo Da Da Da from this. Just a cute way of saying "f off" :)

@ Anduin - LOL nooo, Dad was massively uncool. His politics were right of Atilla the Hun. Mum was the cool one ... in her own uncool way hehe

@ 8Mile - thanks Larry. Your grandmother made it to 95 - huge innings. Can't be any regrets there.

@ Chunky - exactly. There's no sense existing if you're not living. What's hard is that the line between those two things can be blurred.

@ Matt - thanks for coming out of "retirement" for this, Matt. I appreciate that. Hope you're getting tons of good gigs.

Nah. Henri just wanted to give me a treat because we're e-pals. He obviously thought it would be fun and, just as obviously, he enjoys a project.

It has become an interesting sprawling free-for-all. If threads are songs then this is one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few.

Nah. Henri just wanted to give me a treat because we're e-pals. He obviously thought it would be fun and, just as obviously, he enjoys a project.

It has become an interesting sprawling free-for-all. If threads are songs then this is one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few.

True enough but I still have the feeling a lot of people you included, me included aired some stuff here, some private, some public. Kind of magical, like one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few. :-0

True enough but I still have the feeling a lot of people you included, me included aired some stuff here, some private, some public. Kind of magical, like one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few. :-0

yes. (slight return)

Does anybody think this thread was started for a reason greater than it's original intent?

No, all threads are started for their original intent. Some of us just don't what that intent may have been. Only the thread starter would know the intent. So the answer has to be no.

Back