A little Rage Against The Machine! (just drums and bass played by me)

diegobxr

Silver Member
Well, this is my very first "your playing" post... I admit I'm a bit scared !!

This is just me playing an extract of the song "Bombtrack" by RATM. It's just a drums and bass cover. (no original recording in the back)

RATM - Bombtrack - Bass and Drums Cover

The vid shows only the drumming... yeah, I won't lie, I'm not a bassist.. I double-tracked some parts, haha... (I spent like an hour just to get the intro right!). :)

Well, drumming-wise, it's a pretty simple rock tune, but I hope you like it.

Any feedback, critiscism or opinion is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers!

Sounds good. Maybe a little more energy on the chorus but over all very tight. Good job!

Thanks a lot, man, I appreciate it. It's true what you say, it could use a little more power and letting go a little more.. It's difficult while recording and in front of a camera though!

Thx for your feedback.

Cheers! :)

Sounds good! Recording yourself and opening up to the criticism of others is a hard thing to do but I think it's a fantastic learning experience. Keep it up! You've got me listening to old RATM songs now! I've always had a soft spot for Vietnow.

Sounds good! Recording yourself and opening up to the criticism of others is a hard thing to do but I think it's a fantastic learning experience. Keep it up! You've got me listening to old RATM songs now! I've always had a soft spot for Vietnow.

Haha thanks a lot man! Yeah, I bought my recording equipment some months ago and I think it's probably the best investment I've ever made. You play and record.. then listen back.. and the recording doesn't lie!! It can be a bit frustrating at times but also very rewarding.
Thanks a lot for your feedback and if you don't have it, I strongly recommend you get the "Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium" DVD. It's really awesome! :)

Nice job! I'm a huge Rage fan and usually hate seeing people murder their songs but you did it justice. The bass rhythm in the verse is wrong (you didn't mention if that was intentional or not). Also Brad's hi hat work is really unique and essential to sounding like Rage, so I'd suggest you try and copy what he does. You can see it briefly in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX-5ZYV18R8

Hey thanks for the feedback Kettles!

Yeah, I didn't play the song like Brad at all. I kept the basic tempo, structure and accents but yes, the bass drum and hi-hat part are not the original, some ghost notes I used aren't in the original recording and the fills aren't the same... And of course there's no second verse and chorus. It's a very lazy interpretation. Haha.

And of course, as a RATM fan, I apologise for the crappy bass line. If Tim C. ever saw this video he would find me and break his J Bass on my head! haha. :)

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers.

excellent groove. nice sounding kit. curious what your setup is there for cymbals and snare?

excellent groove. nice sounding kit. curious what your setup is there for cymbals and snare?

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it. :)

Was wondering the same thing...that ride looks like a monster!

Haha, yes it is!! :p
Here's the kit specs:

Drums:
1992 Pearl Export (22",12",16")

Snare:
14"x5" Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum

Cymbals (Zildjian):
14" A New Beats
18" A Medium Thin Crash
24" A Medium Ride
20" A Custom EFX

Recording:
4 mics: 2 Behringer C-2 as overheads, an SM57 on the snare and an SM58 on the bass.
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Cubase 5

Cheers!

Back