DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 AM

Default Fibes Drums

Here's an Austin era Fibes kit I just picked up in a sort of purple laquer finish. I've owned a few Fibes kits in the past and have always regretted letting them go. I called Tommy Robertson in Austin and he told me these were made on May 3, 2000 with Jasper shells. This is the best sounding kit I've ever owned, thanks.
9x10,14x14,15x20
Attached Images

Last edited by Boneybeaverbrother; 12-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Fibes Drums

I guess not too many people here know much about Fibes drums. The Austin era Fibes are top of the line made in Austin, Texas, Tommy Robertson took over the company in 1994. They mainly used Jasper maple shells, but towards the end of there run, they used Keller shells and also made acrylic kits. The company stopped production a few years ago, but Tommy told me they were going to start up again in about a year. These are great drums, but are a little hard to find, if you ever have a chance to pick some up you won't regret it, thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

I love those drums, and I know they are top notch. I do not come to this part of the forum very often. I once had a Corder set that was about the same thing. I should have kept it, but that is water under the bridge. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM

I love them too, like I said, the best sounding kit I've ever owned.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Drums do not get much better than those. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome! I live in Austin and would love and Austin era fibes kit. Great score!
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Killer! I had an Austin-era Fibes kit in what looks like a similar blue/purple finish as yours.

I sold my blue Fibes kit recently (probably a huge mistake), but still have my turqoise Corder set with 14x22, 8x10, and 16x16 drums. Great portable kit!
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Those are great looking drums, I saw your blue Fibes kit on ebay and heard them on youtube. I would not have sold them, but heh, I know how it is if you need extra cash. Is your Corder kit made with Jasper shells? How does it sound compared to the Fibes kit you sold? Tommy Robertson told me they used a special method cutting the bearing edges on the kick, which is why the kick sounds so good, thanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneybeaverbrother View Post
Those are great looking drums, I saw your blue Fibes kit on ebay and heard them on youtube. I would not have sold them, but heh, I know how it is if you need extra cash. Is your Corder kit made with Jasper shells? How does it sound compared to the Fibes kit you sold? Tommy Robertson told me they used a special method cutting the bearing edges on the kick, which is why the kick sounds so good, thanks.
Thanks and yeah, maybe I shouldn't have sold them. But I'm not exactly the best drummer around, I wanted a new Ludwig Classic Maple set, and I hate having alot of stuff piled up going unused. But still...

I bought both the blue Fibes and the turqoise Corder from the same guy here locally. That blue Fibes kit was a 2006 if my memory is right and he said the Corder kit could be from the '80s. He re-wrapped it in turqoise and did a great job.

I believe the bass drum and floor tom on the Corder went together, but the 10" tom was bought on eBay and rewrapped to match. I wouldn't normally want a 10" rack tom, but this set sounds great, is super portable, looks killer, etc...

I do believe they are Jasper shells on the Corder. The blue Fibes didn't have Jasper shells. The guy I bought these from said he was told something about the Austin era either using shells made by Pearl or maybe buying equipment from Pearl to make their own shells, etc... Something to do with Pearl. I've never seen anyone else mention that, so I'm not sure how accurate it is...

Also, Tommy Robertson has been saying he's about to start Fibes production up again for years and years now. Not sure how accurate that is?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Well, my kit was made in 2000 and has Jasper shells, I think around 2004 they started using Keller shells. I'd never heard anything about using anything from Pearl, as far as I know, everything they use is American made. I talked with an employee at Tommy's Drum Shop about a month ago and he said Tommy told him that production was to start up again in about a year, something about getting everything straight with the city.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 AM

This is a vintage Fibes kit I pain-stakingly restored and regretfully later sold. It is shown being used by Robert Sweet (Stryper) with Rev Seven. Last know whereabouts were Las Vegas around 2002, if it surfaces some day I want to buy it back!