DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratt
for me, since metropolis part II (except for falling into infinity, wich I think is really poor), mr portnoy has kinda lost his way...he is way too far from that drummer who created those excellent arrangements for "when dream and day unite" and "images and words"... remember erotomania and 6 o´clock? where are them?

I wont demand for a band toalways put out great masterpieces but in fact, for me, dream theater has lost the way home since kevin moor quit them...
Hmm. Maybe it's because I just got into DT but my FAVOURITE album is Scenes from a Memory.....I just think that they are trying to go different routes with their cd's. I dont think they necessarily 'lost their way'. I like the way it's progressing.....their cd's are getting more metal.....and portnoy is still playing pretty technical.....I like the placements of the bass drum more and more from each cd.....I think it's getting better.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Ynnad101

Alright ppl, im new to the post so wut up.... in just gonna dive right into it. MP+DT i could not think of a better match, the guy can play in the sense that he connects with the music around him and knows how to enhance it. needless to say the chemistry that one cant help but notice... as to compare with any heavier bands and drummers, i wouldnt. since from my point of view what matters most is how you can complement the music and make it hole and portnoy's abilities do just that.

Personally DT was the door that introduced me to this world of complex technicalities and musical ingenuity in which portnoy forms a great part of. i admit that at first i thought he was the best thing in town!!! but that was cuz like i said i didnt know better, now that does not mean that im beginning to see his flaws, its just a process of education and evolution, and thats the beauty of it all.

To say that in some cases DT is a rip off, pretty much deminishes the idea of musical influence... portnoy's said many times how Peart was one of his greatest influences that does not make him a copy cat, sh.. portnoy's one of my biggest influences and ive used many of his concepts to broaden my abilities as a drummer... besides we see how many of the new styles of music that come out have a clear similarity to a style that already exist... its called evolution ppl. its a matter of taste i think. of course there are faster, smoother, or just plain sick drummers out there but what portnoy does is all in context of the music.
So.. anyways thats just my opinion right??lol
Old 08-08-2005, 06:26 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnad101
To say that in some cases DT is a rip off, pretty much deminishes the idea of musical influence...
Not really. You can be influenced by something in an obvious way without ripping it off. The examples I was mentioning lifted key phrases or riffs from the source songs with little or no alteration. That doesn't really require much independent thought and it's pretty cheap. I'd mind less if they'd at least borrow from stuff that isn't in a similar genre - if they want to go grab a melody from A Love Supreme and turn it into a prog metal riff I'd maybe be more sympathetic to the idea that it's "influence" at work, but grabbing the bass line from another prog/metal song and moving one or two notes around a little bit is quite amateurish.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Mike Pourtnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
I saw Dream Theatre 2 years ago. I walked out after 6 songs. All I have to say about Mike Portnoy is he had really cool shoes.
i saw them too, wakled out after 6 songs, boring, he has no feelig when he plays
and portnoy's kit is too much for him, weckl, carey, chambers, beauford,agren and a lot more do greater things with a smaller kit...
he reaaaally does that thing 2xhand 2 xfeet too often...
his technique isn't great and as someone said earlier, he just pust 4/4 on different time signatures. Amateur drummers go " he's the best, he has a lotta details, and his technique, woahh" he has the strokin technique of grohl and he's so stiff, unlike beaufor
.once you get to know him you can catch the details real quick and they aren't really hard...
you should listen to dave weckl, those are details, or danny carey if you like rock music",
listen to them carefully, with headphones, and you'll realize in each song there are tons of details. tons of em..
mike's really good but for me he's one of those drummers who is now stuck.. the new record sounds just like the one before. and that one sounded like the one before...he hasn't shown anythin new
Old 08-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Ynnad101

Quote:
mike's really good but for me he's one of those drummers who is now stuck.. the new record sounds just like the one before. and that one sounded like the one before...he hasn't shown anythin new
On that i agree just a bit... he should put an extra effort for the next record to expand his technique, and make it more challenging.

PS: if the quote didnt come out right... understand its my 2nd post. :p
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 AM

I think he´s being stuck by the path the band´s compositional involution is traceing, I mean, there are too many odd sigs, a lot of heavy riffs, cool ballads, but everything is so cliché...no wonder he doesent have anything else to do than repeat himself...(although I must recognize his efforts towards creativity)

oh, I forgot to mention all those predictables vocal lines...
its sad, but we have to admit that they´re going preety much the same way as metallica...downhill !!

ops, metallica has continuously increased their profits, so what´s good indeed?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 AM

WARNING: The following link is unsafe for work or school due to adult banners and advertisements.

http://www.muchosucko.com/video-awes...ingskills.html

:) pretty good vid, id say.

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-19-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:22 AM

I saw Mike in that awesome Tama video
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Mike Portnoy

I think Portnoy is a great drummer, his drumset is also very nice... he has some cool drum videos on here, look him up...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:13 AM

The first thing I want to say is that no one can deny that this guy is a great drummer. To handle the time signatures of Dream Theater on a nightly basis is something that must be applauded. I guess that's why he's in the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame.

Aside from that, and with that stated (out of respect for MP), for me, his playing really does nothing for me. I admire him for his consistent execution but I see nothing "original" in his playing. I was also on the Steve Gadd thread as some praised and lauded his playing but for me, when you hear Steve Gadd you know it's Steve Gadd, regardless of what you think of him. He has that feel and that sound and that sense of time that only he has. For me, when I hear Dream Theater, I hear Dream Theater. I think any "talented seasoned professional" could play that gig so long as they have a background in progressive rock.

His double bass work is typical, the 16th note groove or those doubles and triplet licks that everyone does. If you want to hear some great double bass work (other than Donati or Lang, say) you'd hear more interesting work on any ICED EARTH album compared to what Portnoy does. His chops are good, no doubt but again, I don't hear anything original. He seems to play the same stuff that all drummers with big double bass kits play.

But then again, maybe it's just me. I know that this guy has a lot of fans and has a huge influence on so many great drummers. So for that alone, I give him props as I did earlier at the beginning of my "2 cents."
Old 09-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtemoc
The first thing I want to say is that no one can deny that this guy is a great drummer. To handle the time signatures of Dream Theater on a nightly basis is something that must be applauded. I guess that's why he's in the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame.

Aside from that, and with that stated (out of respect for MP), for me, his playing really does nothing for me. I admire him for his consistent execution but I see nothing "original" in his playing. I was also on the Steve Gadd thread as some praised and lauded his playing but for me, when you hear Steve Gadd you know it's Steve Gadd, regardless of what you think of him. He has that feel and that sound and that sense of time that only he has. For me, when I hear Dream Theater, I hear Dream Theater. I think any "talented seasoned professional" could play that gig so long as they have a background in progressive rock.

His double bass work is typical, the 16th note groove or those doubles and triplet licks that everyone does. If you want to hear some great double bass work (other than Donati or Lang, say) you'd hear more interesting work on any ICED EARTH album compared to what Portnoy does. His chops are good, no doubt but again, I don't hear anything original. He seems to play the same stuff that all drummers with big double bass kits play.

But then again, maybe it's just me. I know that this guy has a lot of fans and has a huge influence on so many great drummers. So for that alone, I give him props as I did earlier at the beginning of my "2 cents."
No.
Good Night.

P.S : What's make you more creative than Portnoy or Gadd ? Give me a break and be more positive towards drummers.Thank You.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterB_Junkie
No.
Good Night.

P.S : What's make you more creative than Portnoy or Gadd ? Give me a break and be more positive towards drummers.Thank You.
What a useless post!

Let's review:

* State a contrary opinion
* Don't back it up with anything
* Launch an ad-hominem attack
* Include mandatory "Can you do better?" speil.

Why even bother? Your post has no content! You suggest that others should be more positive towards drummers, yet in the same breath rip into the creativity of the original poster without even having heard their playing. At least the rest of us have actually heard Portnoy play and can therefore comment on it with something other than empty posturing.

I agree with a lot of what was said in that post. I don't, personally, like Portnoy's playing very much. I think his technique is... err.. a little like swinging a hammer (just watch his snare backbeats!) and he really really over-uses the whole four with the hands/two with the feet business. I don't really find a lot of what he does all that creative, which I think was the initial point being made. That said, he's an astoundingly solid drummer and he's taken his career a very long way - there's a lot to respect there, and I'd be the last to ignore that. As would Cuauhtemoc, judging by his posting. He gives respect where it is due, then makes his point in a clear and positive manner.

And I think you missed the point of what he was saying about Steve Gadd. It's a little unclear in terms of the grammar, but he appears to be contrasting Gadd and Portnoy rather than suggesting they are in some way similar.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:08 PM

Hey finnhiggins, thanks for the defense. I obviously ruffled some feathers even when I thought that I gave MP props for his career and ability to be consistent. I guess some people won't allow others to be subjective and disagree with their point of view. I surely won't discuss religion or politics with this guy.

As far as me, I've been playing drums for 25 years, a local cat from Los Angeles. I've been gigging again as I stopped for a while to finish a Master's Degree, buy a house and become a father while trying to be a good husband to my wife. I don't recall ever saying that I was better than MP although I would say that our styles are quite different. If my critic wants to find something to rip on me he can go to www.audiostreet.net/carlossolorzano and hear some samples from the drumming CD that I released in 2002. It's multi-tracked original tribal drumming songs that I had a blast composing and recording.

Thanks again finnhiggins and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator Emeritus

I have a huge amount of respect for Portnoy as a composer and performer, and I don't agree with some of what Cuauhtemoc posted, but I have no problem at all with him expressing his opinions in the respectful fashion that he did. Actually it was a perfect example of how to state one's opinion, and I hope that those few of you here who need to can learn to do the same. This is one of the better threads about a "controversial" drummer. I appreciate the thoughtfulness that has gone into some of these posts. You guys are the best, bar none, and it's you who make this place so great. Keep it up, guys.

And Cuauhtemoc, I'm going to check out that link of yours when I get a moment, probably tonight. I'm looking forward to it after your description. Sounds like my kind of stuff.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtemoc

Props on the Iced Earth drummers. I'm listening to Dante's Inferno, it's an immense performance all round. I dislike Jon Schaffer's revolving door lineups however. Richard Christy was a great catch and his playing on Horror Show was truly excellent; pity most of the drums were made lifeless by the production.

As for our friend Mr. Portnoy, what can I say that hasn't already been said? I like the fact that opinion is divided over him. In my opinon he is a great drummer... although his solos are a little flat, his playing with bands is an excellent display of both simplicity and complication at the same time.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 PM

Dog Breath, you are the man. Nothing like a good conversation between adults.

And thanks for checking out my site. Hope you like it!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Administrator

well, i've remained quiet oin this thread out of ignorance but now i have had ample opportunity to watch his liquid dream theatre double dvd and i must say that everyone here is right.

in that
1) while he clearly borrows ideas a lot from other drummers (notably peart)
2) he does so in a clever powerful way.
3) he has great foot and hand speed and his time signature chopping and changing are a bit boggling.

he is also quite a cool guy. well spoken on the dvd, friendly and knowledgable. that whole take a drum to the audience and duet with random fans thing at the end of the disc shows that he is a great show man.

in my opinion we are just seeing the tip of the portnoy phenomenon. watch this space. think about it. i wonder what many drummers were saying about peart earlier in his carreer. i bet it wasn't all nice.

my respect to the man.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Perfectly stated, Jason.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM

i really dont think of DT as a band ripping off rush, tool, etc. its a band coming in with there own sort of sound in a way. seperating themselves and there styles away from what 90% of bands are doing today. yes MP is greatly influenced by peart, but who here can say that they never played a song or made up a beat that had some certain aspect of your favorite drummer in there. john bonhams doubles and triplets and POWER, danny careys smooth technical ability, etc. we all pick up certain things. so saying that MP is a rip off doent make that much sense.

and i back up what jason said
Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 AM

Just a little correction on the current enormous Potnoy drumkit :

It is not One drumkit but Two that are glued together.

If you take each kit separately, they are not that big !
Old 10-27-2005, 03:35 AM

If I might be able to interject a different point of view, one from the other half of a rhythm section.

There seems to be a lot of different points of view regarding his technique, technical prowess, and comparison to other drummers. I find this all to be fairly moot. Mike has never laid claim to being the best drummer, the fastest, the cleanest or the most complex. Those monikers were bestowed upon him by fans and fellow musicians. However everyone is a critic, everyone has opinions, and thats why people are here bagging on Mike on a forum as opposed to say.... touring Europe, Japan, putting on clinics, recording instructional DVD's, making tribute albums, collecting endorsement checks from Tama, Promark, Remo, and Sabian.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know the first thing about drumming technique but from a bassists perspective, he is the perfect compliment to a great progressive metal band. His playing is tasteful, it's diverse, fits the music to a T, and most of all TIGHT. His comprehension of time signatures is mind boggling. If you don't believe me, go listen to Take The Time off of Images & Words. There are over 22 time signature changes during the song, but you never feel it. Many bands who try to write like that fail miserably, the song sounds chunky and in shambles.

I love Dream Theater, but I'll be the first to say that Mike is no Neil Peart, Vinnie Colaiuta, or Stuart Copeland.

To close, I want to say I find it amusing that people bring up the "ripoff" topic in a thread devoted to a dummer. I will say that one of my largest issues with the band is they let their influences show too much when they write an album. Tool's 46&2 on Home, one that people may not catch is Solsbery Hill by Peter Gabrial on Solitary Shell off of Five Degree of Inner Turbulance.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Pioneer Member

I think Mike is a fantastic drummer and deserves all the respect in the world for helping make drumming more popular...I know alot of people get on his case for using the 2/2, 2/4, 2/6, etc hand foot combos alot, but thats just his style...He makes it work for him and fits the music great, so why see it as a negative? thats just my opinion...

As far a chops go--I don't see Mike as a real "choppy" drummer...If you look at his parts, he never really plays anything more than singles, and the occasional double...Sure he is always "busy", but his rudiments never get too complicated...It's how he phrases, orchestrates, and works with odd time that sets him appart and makes him unique...I see a little of Neil in him, but every drummer has a little of someonelse in their playing...I think thats a good thing...

Long live Mike!!!!!!

That shrink and grow section of "Fatal Tragedy" makes my head hurt...
Old 10-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Amen, Bassman. Excellent post.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Thinshells

Bassman's post nails it. Mike is awesome. I cherish a lot of his work, my favorite is probably Train of Thought and LTE.

I am sick of the petty whining about "ripoff" Where is the line between "ripoff" and "inspiration?" Spastic Ink's 2000 cd sounds almost like Dream Theater. Who cares? It's a cool recording. Dream Theater unabashedly plays RUSH tunes during shows. A nod to one of the preceeding giants, not a ripoff.

Prog rock has a lot of common sounding paradigms and styles. But like other genre's, each drummer to his own.

Mike does some amazing things. I hope one day to master them all. If I could be 1/4 as successful as Mike, I'd be on cloud 9. He is a huge inspiration. I hope to be able to completly rip off his style one day.

And he has one of the greatest kits out there.

Check out my latest must have: Mike Portnoy's "DRUMAVARIUM" DVD

There is a clip of Mike on his mighty TAMA amber vistalite kit from Hammer of the Gods.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/ProductCa...7&idproduct=21

Last edited by Thinshells; 10-27-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 AM

People keep bringing up Mike's kit and I have to say something about it. Now, I love Mike but his kit, (The Siamese Monster) is a bit excessive. The only reason he has a kit that large is because he has the means acquire one.

Mike's best work (IMHO) is the work he did on Transatlantic. For the Transatlantic kit, he used a smaller (well, smaller for him) 8 piece kit and half the symbols of his current kit. I always find it fascinating to listen to amazing drummers who are used to large drum kits, get behind say a 4 piece or a 3 piece kit. I feel it really hones great creative thinking and improv and you learn to approach your playing from a whole different perspective.

This also correlates over to bass playing. I play a custom 6 string, but at the same time I have an old Sears Steinberger rip off that I only have 2 strings on (tuned E & G). You'd be amazed at how well you can play when you have less.

So for those of you with large drum kits, try taking a couple pieces off and playing. If you have a 5, take it to 3. Leave the snare, one rack tom, and bass drum. Sit down and play for an hour or two, you might scare yourself and actually like it.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

I pretty much agree with thinshells, imo Portnoy is an exellent drummer, and it was first when I bought the Liquid Drum Teather that I really got into drums, now I have a 7 pc Ayotte Custom kit, and I love playing the 2s/4s and 6 patterns :)

his kit: I was really disapointed when he started using the siamese monster, it was just to big, but I loved the Purple Monster, 9 pc kits are beautiful :D
Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Being a guitar player for nearly 20 years, I used to not appreciate MP. The drum tracks for DT didn't allow me to listen to the music with out it sounding off time and lacking normal structure. It sounded very mechanical. I didn't realize just how much talent it took until recently.

During my guitar days, I would listen to (and still do) to many of the shreading, technical guitarists of the 80's. Namely Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman and many others.

People who were not musicians, specifically guitarists, could not truly understand the natural gifts that these people had to be able to play like that. I practiced for 20 years and still cannot even come close to those guys.

I took up drumming about 2 years ago after working with drum machines. Due to my understanding gained for the instrument while programming, it made sense to give it a try.

I do not play the guitar (except to goof around) any longer and now appreciate playing the drums. Therefore, I now am amazed by Portnoy. I have one of his instructional dvds and can watch it over and over. He is now my Yngwie and Paul Gilbert.

My friends who are not musicians do not care for DT at all. They just cannot get into it although they love heavy metal and hard rock. But my musician friends and brother, who has been studying Petrucci for 3 years, love them for what they are able to do. I now listen to them almost every day, and enjoy them thoroughly.

I know that I don't have the natural talent to be a great musician. It just isn't in my genes. I do enjoy learning what I can from the masters and trying to incorporate just a bit into my playing.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:52 AM

I really get a kick out of people who denounce MP and DT anytime they are given the chance, the only reason having to be sheer ignorance. I was the "obsessed MP fan" at one time, I really respect and admire the man, he is an inventive and intelligent player. I bought transcription books and all the actual studio videos and learned many many songs note for note and they are some of my favorite songs to play for fun, namely anything off of Awake or A Change Of Seasons. Lately I am not so much the die hard fan I once was, the latest album really let me down. I do think the kits can be a bit excessive, but I also know that playing on a larger kit is a lot of fun and opens up variety wise what you can express. The Siamese Monster is two kits, one smaller kit attached to the side of his more standard set up, he likes to use a smaller kit on some songs and the other kit on other songs, if I had the means to just have two kits on stage and go back and forth I would too. One reason I like being a drummer so much is that "most" other drummers are really nice and respectful of one another. There is tons of music out there that I wouldn't buy or listen to but I can at least respect what they achieved. If you compare the forums of drummers to guitarists you can see a drastic ego change, many guitarists are really harsh to one another like it is some kind of stupid race. Mike Portnoy may not be the technique titan that Thomas Lang is or the varied monster that Sean Reinert is or as fast as that crazy mofo from Theory In Practice and it is worhtless to compare any of them, but you know what, he is a damn good drummer and a hell of a nice guy, not to mention his instructional videos are right up there with Steve Smith's in being well done and being able to really get something out of it, I would certainly buy the man a beer.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepplehall
I really get a kick out of people who denounce MP and DT anytime they are given the chance, the only reason having to be sheer ignorance.
Oh, come off it. There's plenty of reasons to dislike either beyond ignorance - Portnoy's technique is pretty bizarre, his drum kit is excessive, and as for DT... well... yes. Men in leather pants making "one foot on the monitor" poses while shredding or singing lyrics like "As a child, I thought I could live without pain" about a quarter tone away from the right pitch. Enough said.

Portnoy is a very capable drummer and most of DT can play (LaBrie aside. Ugh) but they are way, way, way overrated by many young musicians. There are plenty of people playing harder, more original, more involved pieces of music out there with much better technique. They just don't get the same degree of worship that DT do.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Oh, come off it. There's plenty of reasons to dislike either beyond ignorance - Portnoy's technique is pretty bizarre, his drum kit is excessive, and as for DT... well... yes. Men in leather pants making "one foot on the monitor" poses while shredding or singing lyrics like "As a child, I thought I could live without pain" about a quarter tone away from the right pitch. Enough said.

Portnoy is a very capable drummer and most of DT can play (LaBrie aside. Ugh) but they are way, way, way overrated by many young musicians. There are plenty of people playing harder, more original, more involved pieces of music out there with much better technique. They just don't get the same degree of worship that DT do.
Not to mention, despite Mike's array of abilities, he has yet to put togeather a decent solo. I like Mike a lot, but his solos disappointment given what he is capable of. He defianately should not be stratified in all areas.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM

Hey I never said I worshipped him or that hes the best out there, come on, do not make an arguement out of nothing, I merely said he was a cool guy and a great drummer. I personally do not like DT for a lot of reasons, one major one being the singer, another being the really overused common themes from album to album (sick of hearing the words "glass prison") and another being the simplistic guitar riffs. And I agree that his solos are pretty lame, he has said himself that he does not even like doing them and often times he will include getting audience members on stage to interact during most his "solo" time. It is true there is a lot of people out there that do not get noticed that should who possess more striking abilities, but that is life, I know of a lot of obscure prog/death metal drummers that can do a wider variety of skills. Portnoy is great for drumming in general though, he has inspired a lot of people and I think that is great, I have run across many drummers that started playing because of or partly because of his influence. There are guys out there currently that I enjoy listening to more, for example Martin Lopez from Opeth, I have followed them since they began and have seen Martin's evolution since he joined on their 3rd album, their latest album Ghost Reveries has some brilliant drumming on it, but I will always respect Portnoy.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:39 AM

If u dont like LaBrie i suggest u listen 2 Liquid Tension Experiment no lyrics just music its pretty cool.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepplehall
Hey I never said I worshipped him or that hes the best out there, come on, do not make an arguement out of nothing, I merely said he was a cool guy and a great drummer. I personally do not like DT for a lot of reasons, one major one being the singer, another being the really overused common themes from album to album (sick of hearing the words "glass prison") and another being the simplistic guitar riffs. And I agree that his solos are pretty lame, he has said himself that he does not even like doing them and often times he will include getting audience members on stage to interact during most his "solo" time. It is true there is a lot of people out there that do not get noticed that should who possess more striking abilities, but that is life, I know of a lot of obscure prog/death metal drummers that can do a wider variety of skills. Portnoy is great for drumming in general though, he has inspired a lot of people and I think that is great, I have run across many drummers that started playing because of or partly because of his influence. There are guys out there currently that I enjoy listening to more, for example Martin Lopez from Opeth, I have followed them since they began and have seen Martin's evolution since he joined on their 3rd album, their latest album Ghost Reveries has some brilliant drumming on it, but I will always respect Portnoy.
Very true...but he had a kit that is made fun of so much on the forums....he has turned into a joke.

- Julien Amar
Old 11-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantantreal
Very true...but he had a kit that is made fun of so much on the forums....he has turned into a joke.
I find it amazing self centered, and envious of people who decide they are going to slam his kit, or any large kit for that matter. There are some folks that are serious kit-nazi's walking around. ARRRGHH!!!!! if it's bigger than two peice it's too big!!!! Arrggh!!! it's over 4-piece! It's totally useless!!! Arrrghh!!! That kit doesn't look like its set up exactly the way I want it to be!!!! Grrr....

I am glad Mike has that huge, almost surreal kit. It's like he is in his office...

Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Mike Portnoy Anyone?

Has anyone seen the the Dreamtheater- Live In Budakon DVD? The drum solo on it is amazing. Any ways, does neone know what kind of heads he's using on his toms? They sound awsome. Help?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy Anyone?

I'm pretty sure he's a clear pinstripe guy, at least during that time he was.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Thinshells

Clear pinstripes. That is an *AWESOME* DVD. BTW: there is already a Portnoy thread. Don't be surprised if this one is e-magically teleported into that thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:28 PM

Personally, i dont go crazy over his solos, i dont find it to be very musical,no more than a showoff.
but thats just me (:
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM

I agree y0avz...

But I consider Mike's a great drummer cause no one can make a composition like him.... Thats the reason he's one of the top drummers....
Too many drummers can have his technique and skills, but nobody can make music like mike, one of my instructors told me once: "You must focus on your music, you can be the best musician, but that isnt enought to make good music".
Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 AM

Personally, Mike Portnoy to me is one of the most involved drummers in the drumming commmunity. He has actually sent me a signed photograph when I ordered his instructional DVD from his website because they shipped it too late for Christmas time. Super nice guy!

As for his kit, why does it matter what the size of ones kit is? He uses all of it on his kit (except the Crotales on his Purple Monster, which I agree shouldn't be there). The truth is, he wants multiple sounds, lots of variety. You can only go so far with a conventionally sized kit. Personally, if I had someone to move and set my kit up for every show, I would do the exact same thing. Why would someone judge whether a drummer is a good/bad drummer by the size of his kit? That's just as bad as someone saying, "Oh, he has long hair, he must be a stoner/idiot/homosexual!" So what if his solos aren't the best, his song compositions are what I truly enjoy. I mean some drummers like T.B. from a certain punk band that really isn't that great, gets a lot of praise. I personally believe Mr. Portnoy to be a better player and song writer then this T.B. character who will remain unidentified by me....
EDIT (NOT Terry Bozzio)

There new album was disappointing.