DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM

Default Help with Roland, etc

First, let me say I've learned a lot just reading on this forum, and I thank you all for it. Some of you may be tired of the questions I have (I have searched and read through as much as I could find), but there are about a jillion options I'm trying to figure out, and I would really appreciate any help.
I'm a guitar/piano/etc player who needs to get an e-kit. I'm sick of programming on the computer or synth keyboard. I had an Octapad 2 from about 1991, but it gave out on me a while back, and I think at this point, I would prefer to play a kit. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems like the Roland TD 4/6/8 series are all good options, but I would like to hear some opinions as well as some facts. I'm probably leaning towards a used kit just for the value. I like the idea of the coach/trainer functions. I want 'decent' sounding drums, but I don't want to pay a mint for the very best. I have a good computer and interface and I can use MIDI to get much better sounds when I need it. I definitely want chokeable cymbals with at least 2 zones. My budget is somewhere around $300-$600 depending on what I find.

Opinion questions:
1. Are Roland kits better than Yamaha, Simmons, Alesis? Of course, individual models will vary considerably, but it seems that most of what I read indicates that you can't go wrong with Roland. Are they really higher quality? Would you strongly recommend any one particular model as a standout value? Am I completely wrong, are they all similar or is something else better?

2. Is $350 a good price for a "V-Drums" TD-4 kit?

3. What's a fair price for a TD-6 kit?

Fact questions:
1. It appears that as the number goes up, the kits get better (more features in brain, sometimes more and better triggers) e.g. TD-6 is better than TD-4. Is this always correct? In particular, it seems the odd numbers (3/5/7/9) aren't as good as the even numbers, at least the odd numbers seem nowhere near as popular. Is that right? Is there some basic ordering I could find, or a good comparison of ALL the models?

2. If I buy for example, a TD-4 kit, can I upgrade the brain later to, say, a 6 or 8? Are there limits? Are all the Roland pads interchangeable with all kits?

3. I find the suffixes and qualifiers very confusing. I've seen "V-tour", "V-Drums", "SX", "K", "KV" and many more. Some may be errors of people posting online, but is there some guide to what all these mean?

If you have any other relevant facts, opinions, or info for me, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Help with Roland, etc

In terms of build quality, Roland and Yamaha are above the others in terms of durability, ect. The sounds are somewhat subjective. Some like the rolands, some like yamaha ect.

TD6 (and 8) is older gen than TD4. The TD4 replaced the TD3, which was the same gen as the TD6. I think 350 is a very good price for a TD4.

What you will find, is that in general, the newer modules are compatible with older equipment, but not vice versa. If you look up the modules on rolands website you will see what they are compatible with.

The current Roland Generation is 11, 15, and 30. The prior gen was 4,9,12,20.

What you generally see as Roland sets increase is better cymbals, mesh pads, more inputs (ie drums) allowed, and far better dynamics.

At your price point and what you would be doing i would try to get a TD9, but a TD4 is fine too. The BIGGEST failure Roland has is the FD7 foot pedal. Personally, I just think its awful. This comes standard on the lower end roland kits.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 AM

achdumeingute, thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot more lately, and now I'm even less sure what I want. Now, I think people are saying that Yamahas are more realistic feeling and cheaper (which is always nice). Plus the Yamahas are sample-based as opposed to synth (Roland COSM). I would think samples would be best for drum sounds. Any opinions on Yamaha v Roland in general? Also, as I would suspect a lot of this has been covered before, I would certainly welcome any specific links to other more complete info.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Personally, I feel trying to get "real feel" from electronic drums is a folly. They will never be the same as acoustic no matter how hard you (they) try. Just accept that its different. I think if you learned or play on an acoustic and supplement it with E-drums that's overall better than just playing E's. The E's will mask your ability, as they largely sonically "correct" your mistakes.

I've just played around with a yamaha kit at a guitar center, but from what many people say, they are quality. Yammys are cheaper in price, but they are also harder to resell IMO...