Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Paiste Cymbal Recommendation

My current Paiste setup is:

14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
18" 2002 Medium Crash
20" Ride

I need a second crash cymbal to complete this and I can't figure out what I should get. The only store here that has Paiste has a very limited selection and they do not allow returns. They have a 20" 2002 crash, which I love, but I'm afraid it will be too low pitched in relation to my hat and ride. They also have a 16" 2002 crash, which to me sounds like a big spash cymbal. I listened to the 18" 2002 crash on the Paiste site and it sounds like it will clash with the medium if I hit them together, but I don't know. The 20" Medium sounds like a match to my ears, but I'm afraid it will be too loud and overpowering. My 20" ride is not that loud. My hats are quite a bit louder! My 18" needs to really be "laid into" to open up, so I'm thinking I will probably need a regular 2002 17-19" for a quieter crash for verses and ballads. I really don't want to mix signatures in there because I really want them to sound like they all belong together, but I do love the sound of the 16" Signature full crash. My bands range from classic rock to modern hard rock. Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Paiste Cymbal Recommendation

I had the 18 2002 medium. Its muted compared to the regular crash. You have to really hit it to open up, so doesn't work as a left-side crash for me. So a regular 18 crash could go with a 18 medium crash, they differ in pitch a fair amount.
Really, the 20inch 2002 is the bomb for a right side crash.
Paistes are all very consistent so you can go by sound files on their site or u-tubes, then order or ebay what you want. Sadly, I don't bother with local stores anymore for cymbals - poor selection and high markup.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

The 17" Crash is quite a bit fuller than the 16", in my experience, and a great left-side crash. What side will you use it on ? For the left, I would say the 17" Crash, and for the right, I would consider a 19" or 20" crash. I don't think it will over-power the ride. It's all in how you hit them.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 AM

Yes, I love that 2002 20" crash, which they have in the store, but it's too deep and huge for a left side crash. On the right though, I was thinking that it would be killer. I love to crash ride on my Foo Fighters style stuff and the 18" medium is good for that, the 20" medium would be better I think. I just don't want to shelve this 18" medium. I want to use it, but more than 2 crash cymbals is just not practical for the small time gigs I will be playing.

I think I bought the wrong cymbal. I don't know what to do...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 AM

17's and 19's are great. 17" gives you the sound of an 18 with the cut of a 16 its the best of both worlds! same goes for a 19", I'm a big fan of odd size crashes.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Personally I reckon there is enough separation between standard 2002's and the mediums to justify getting the 18". That way you can use them both together or pick and choose according to the gig. I've done this with various Zildjian medium/thin and mediums for years.....the extra weight gives enough change in pitch and tone so that they don't sound the same at all.

Another excellent choice would be an 18" Giant Beat. They'll blend really well. Made from the same B8 alloy as the 2002's just not quite as bright and cutting. A little more complexity through the mid-range but still plenty of that glassy shimmer that means it'll sit well with your 2002's. GB's have an awesome tone.....well worth looking into.

Outside of that, you're not gonna go wrong with a 17" or 19" 2002 either. Great cymbals all of them......you can't lose regardless of which way you roll.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Long View Post

I think I bought the wrong cymbal. I don't know what to do...
well , You can do what I did, you sell the 18 medium that doesn't work for you, and buy anotehr size regular crash, or something else that fits your bill. If you wash ride a lot (ala Foo fighters) and want a compact setup you might also consider a 2 cymbal setup with 2 crash /rides. But as said, an 18 2002 medium and 18 2002 crash seperatre pretty well (check it on the Paite site Soundroom). If you play Foo Fighters stuff or in a generally loud band I would not go below an 18, but thats me.

Good luck . Procuring just the right cymbal....is never over. lol
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

+1 for the 20" crash. Flippin' fantastic.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(' . '<) View Post
17's and 19's are great. 17" gives you the sound of an 18 with the cut of a 16 its the best of both worlds! same goes for a 19", I'm a big fan of odd size crashes.

+1 odd size crashes are great.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I really don't want to mix signatures in there because I really want them to sound like they all belong together, but I do love the sound of the 16" Signature full crash.
Utter nonsense! I have a 17" Sig Full crash, and it's sitting right next to a 17" Dream Bliss crash. They sound great together in part just because they don't sound identical; they have contrast in their character. I also recently got an old 20" 2002 ride, and next to the 20" Sig Full crash I have, they're almost too alike. I'd want a little more difference in pitch between them.

There's nothing wrong with mixing cymbals between manufacturers or model lines.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

I mix Paiste and Zildjian K regularly, and with great effect. A 16" Signature Full Crash and 18" K Crash-Ride is a staple for me, and a beautiful thing.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm currently runnning with Paiste 2002 17'' and 19'', Alpha thin 18'' & 16'', Zildgen Sweet Ride and a 12'' Sabian slpash and everyone gets along just fine ;-)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Utter nonsense! I have a 17" Sig Full crash, and it's sitting right next to a 17" Dream Bliss crash. They sound great together in part just because they don't sound identical; they have contrast in their character. I also recently got an old 20" 2002 ride, and next to the 20" Sig Full crash I have, they're almost too alike. I'd want a little more difference in pitch between them.

There's nothing wrong with mixing cymbals between manufacturers or model lines.
I know mixing can be great, but I bought the signature bell ride 22" and every time I go to it, it just sounds wrong to me in the context of my 2002 stuff. I'm just gun shy because there is no way to test stuff out over here in Taiwan because they have a no return policy. It sucks.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM

The 19" 2002 crash is my favorite in the line. It is not too deep or too bright. I have even paired it with my Twenty's on occasion. I found it to be more versatile than either the 16" or 17" 2002 crashes - which I lean toward the too high pitched side for my taste.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

The Paiste Sig. 18" Fast crash may be a good choice for your current set-up. or if you're convinced you want to stay within the 2002 line, you may want the 19" thin crash. Go to their website and start a Soundroom comparison.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. Actually the 18" medium sounds really good with the 19" and 20" 2002 crashes. They almost sound like "mi, re, do" in pitch, each roughly a whole step apart. I think I'm going to hold on the the medium and get the 20" 2002 for now. Then get the 19 inch in a few months. I'll put the 18" medium the left of the hi hat and use the 19 as a left side crash and the 20" as a right side crash with my 20" 2002 ride and maybe I'll add a china to the right of that next summer. My wife is gonna be pissed!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

"My wife is gonna be pissed!"
And probably the neighbors as well. :)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Have you considered 2002 thin crashes? I have a 17" which is beautiful, opens very easily and the less weight contributes to a lower voice than mediums, etc.

Also, I second the GB 18" suggestion.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taye-Dyed View Post
Have you considered 2002 thin crashes? I have a 17" which is beautiful, opens very easily and the less weight contributes to a lower voice than mediums, etc.

Also, I second the GB 18" suggestion.
Yes, that 17" Thin sounds beautiful. I'm just afraid that I'd break it in the heat of the moment, especially live when the adrenalin is pumping.

The GB is not the right flavor for me, but it does sound great.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 AM

I'd ordered a 19" Thin 2002 Crash and when I went to pick it up they had sent an Alpha or some other cymbal so since I have to drive 4 hours to get to Vancouver to pick up gear, I noticed that they had the new (then) 20" 602 Medium Ride and got that...Having said that, I still want the 19" Thin 2002 Crash...To me, was the best sounding crash (2002 Series) on the Paiste website (Sound Room)...I am checking into one tomorrow as well as 24" 602 Ride and possibly 20" 602 Crash...Good Luck...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM

I was thinking the 17" thin too.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

If you want a sound that won't clash with the cymbal you have just buy the same thing an inch higher or lower. So in your case a Medium Crash 19" or 17".

Not saying others won't mix but I've found this to be a quick method.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, that 17" Thin sounds beautiful. I'm just afraid that I'd break it in the heat of the moment, especially live when the adrenalin is pumping.

The GB is not the right flavor for me, but it does sound great.

Thanks.
Gotta restrain and direct that heat. Take it out on the snare drum or your toms! Heads can be replaced, a cymbal, not so much. Or buy a badly cracked china and beat the stuffing out of it when that moment hits. lol.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 AM

I sold a set of regular 18 and 20" crashes for 18 and 19" thin crashes. I found the the thins much easier to play and the regular crashes too heavy. The 15 SE hats and 24 regular ride is easy to play- the 24 BIG ride is real easy to play. If you angle and hit cymbals in the proper manner then don't worry about them breaking - they aren't that fragile. Also thinner cymbals 'give' more and so are less likely to break. HTH
YMMV
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I have a simuler setup:

14" Dimensions thin/heavy hats
22" 2002 Heavy ride
18" 2002 Full crash

I couldnt find a 20" crash to match the 18"... did own a 20" 2002 crash but it didnt do it for me. I finally settled on an ebay buy 20" 2002 Rock crash. Absolutely awesome cymbal.. I also really like the Signature Full crash so thats worth checking out..