DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Daniel Glass The Century Project

I think I may have seen some discussion here before about this but just wanted to give my views on it and would love to hear yours

I feel the DVD was fascinating and very well done

an ABSOLUTE must see for musicians and lovers of all beat music ....but especially drummers

it is the absolute best compilation of information on the instrument that I have ever seen in one place and all of you newer drummers must see this to understand where we as drummers come from and why we play the way we do

it is amazing to see the lineage of influence and the transformation of gear and how it all leads up to the manipulation of the instrument as we know it today

I did have a few cons that struck me while watching...

I found Daniels bebop and hard bop drumming to be very unauthentic and very much rhythm and blues drumming with not much bop influence or vocabulary at all ........all of his other playing is absolutely top notch and impeccable

I also felt that he skipped some pretty important bits of information through the bebop and post bop era of drumming ....and seemed to be in a bit of a rush to get to rock & roll drumming just a bit

but other than that .....this DVD is chock full of information that is absolutely invaluable for every drummer to know ....I cannot stress that enough

there is also a DVD that is called TRAPS.......which explores the history of the gear itself from 1865 to 1965 which I am about to dive into now

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Daniel Glass The Century Project

I started a thread on this topic a few weeks ago, and there was relatively little uptake. Maybe now a few more people have had a chance to see it. Me, I loved it. Totally agree with your assessment (though I'm not knowledgable enough to comment on the authenticity or omissions). I learned a ton and found it highly entertaining to boot. I also watched Traps, and I think you'll like that one too. By the way, I also bought his book, "The Ultimate History of Rock 'n' Roll Drumming," and loved that too. That book and these DVDs may be the only ones of the kind. Very cool. Gotta love Daniel's passion for this stuff. Cheers,

-- Bobby
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, I somehow had never even heard of this project until reading this thread. I will have to get the DVD and check it out. I will report back once I've seen it.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Wow, I somehow had never even heard of this project until reading this thread. I will have to get the DVD and check it out. I will report back once I've seen it.

it's awesome ......seriously

get it

and get the Traps DVD as well

both are so worth the price
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

So is it kind of similar to Steve Smith's concept of "History of the US beat", but more profound?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Daniel Glass randomly walked into the local drum store on the 16th the day I got the DVDs.

I almost walked in that day too. :(
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

I like Daniel Glass a lot. Really liked his stuff with Royal Crown Revue. Got to see them a handful of times and was routinely blown away by him.
This DVD sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
So is it kind of similar to Steve Smith's concept of "History of the US beat", but more profound?
Yes, Daniel Glass had a slot on a recent Modern Drummer festival DVD, performing a clinic about the evolution of the shuffle.

I enjoyed it, but it was very reminiscent of Steve Smith's concept from some years earlier.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
a bit yeah

the Century Project covers a wider time period and is a bit more detailed

seems to be a bit bigger budget as well

this video was recommended to me by Steve himself who was raving about it
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 AM

Yeah, the Steve Smith DVD is probably the closest thing out there. Daniel covers a wider time period, and he performs on vintage kits from the era.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM

I loved Steve Smith's DVD and the Modern drummer piece on drum set history. Now i want to see the Daniel Glass dvd. It's so fun to see how the straight 4/4 beat and almost all popular music came for orchestra music that formed jazz. Everything had a swing to it, and when they tightened it up and made it more straight for fancier and funkier soul and R&B, it became the precursor to the "rock" beat. Plus he did interviews with the rockabilly greats a little while ago in MD and that was fun to read as well.