DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Default Custom Bass drum logo heads. Help!

I need to order a front bass drum head, with my band's logo on it. Sounds simple enough, however, I need recommendations before spending $ on it. Who sells heads where the logo is integrated into the head, without just simply being an aftermarket "sticker" of some sort? This obviously would be for sound purposes...since I refuse to use a head that sacrifices sound quality just to advertise the band name.
I currently use an evans emad resonant, and want to get as close as possible to that. Can anyone recommend the best company for this? Price considerations are not as important as the sound quality. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Custom Bass drum logo heads. Help!

Hi, This guy does great work, he is fast and reasonable. Check his website out and see for yourself.

http://www.drumart.com/
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

I used this link here. http://www.drumart.com/

They did an awesome job. The head they used is top quality(better than the remo reso head I had on there originally).

I would definatly use them again.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

Do you guys happen to know how long it takes to get a custom bass head using my own logo from drumart.com?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Jim at Drumart does fabulous work, pretty much every overlay seen on kits at NAMM is done by him. He did this little number for me:

Two things to know: Drumart does a stick-on layer, but you'd never know, not a chance of it coming off (except maybe in extreme heat after your heads have melted anyway.) And they use Aquarian heads exclusively. Jim did me a big favor by digging up an Evans head. Even though I had the Evans logo as part of my art, and nobody would have known it wasn't an Evans head underneath, he wanted to keep everyone honest. So that's three things, he's also ethical.

Turnaround probably varies, and I can tell you that he's probably busy with NAMM orders right now. But worth sending an email, he'll respond quickly and tell you what he can do.

Bermuda
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Looks like drumart is a clear favorite. Bermuda, that head looks great...killer artwork! So I am guessing (by the company praises) that the overlay doesn't really make any huge difference in sound or response from the head, then?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM

I too am looking at creating a logo head for my kit. I have been playing with the Headbuilder tool at Drumart, and have come up with some really neat possibilities.
My biggest issue now is what to get! Wish I could afford to buy two or three!!
Good luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM

No apparent difference in sound, the overlay is extremely thin and has perfect integrity with the head, so there's none of the damping that a 2-ply head would have, if that's the concern. If there's any effect at all, I'd think the pitch of the head might be lowered a bit, but simply tune it as needed.

Bermuda
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Hi, This guy does great work, he is fast and reasonable. Check his website out and see for yourself.

http://www.drumart.com/

That guys a D**K, ripped me off for $10, I did the artwork on the web sites headbuilder the way I wanted it and submitted it with the cash, he emails back telling me he cant do it that way but could do it this way and sends me a pic of how he could do it, I said I dont want it that way I will pick another one, he said fine but I have to charge you $10 for the artwork I already did, I said why, I didnt want it that way or even ask you to do the one you send me, he said it was policy and refunded my money except $10 short, needless to say I didnt pick another one.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 AM

Hmmm, that's the first negative thing I've ever heard about Jim or his work. Sorry you had a bad experience. Jim's customer service and work are normally exemplary.

Bermuda
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
That guys a D**K, ripped me off for $10,..... needless to say I didnt pick another one.
I love DW, all the stories, who did what etc. Shared experience. Its such a great resource.
Gotta love Abe Alboriel Jrs. minimalist 'custom' artwork on his drum head with McCartney band. Two letters in white tape "PM"

Anyone ever question why drummers are asked to wear a band's logo but its rare on other members equip, like the front cloth on amps?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Buy a banner...hang it high behind the band for all to see.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Anyone ever question why drummers are asked to wear a band's logo but its rare on other members equip, like the front cloth on amps?
Undoubtedly dates back to the time before amps, when the bass drum head was the largest piece of real estate in the band.

For example:

Bermuda
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 AM

Here's another option:
Vintage Logos
I haven't used them, so I can't testify, but I've been considering buying a head from them.
The website will allow you to import your own art and edit it for the head. They also have many canned choices.
If you use them, report back, so I'll know if I should too. ;)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Hmmm, that's the first negative thing I've ever heard about Jim or his work. Sorry you had a bad experience. Jim's customer service and work are normally exemplary.

Bermuda
Yeh, I had heard that and thats one of the reasons I tried to order from him plus it turned out he was also a radial player at the time.

I checked thru my bookmarks and found these companies too.

http://www.drumsigns.com/
http://www.vintagelogos.com/
http://www.kustombassdrumgraphics.com.au/
http://www.customskins.co.uk/
http://www.rockdrummers.co.uk/
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Do you guys happen to know how long it takes to get a custom bass head using my own logo from drumart.com?
Hi all,

Jim from DrumART here -- thanks for the kind words!

DJ_magic_d, please see here for information on our printing process and our philosophy on custom bass drumhead artwork as it relates to the sound of the drum:

http://www.drumart.com/help/39-help-...-the-drum.html

PeteN, our turnaround time is 3 to 5 business days (yes, DAYS). Please see here for more information:

http://www.drumart.com/help/40-help-...urnaround.html

GRUNTERSDAD, we also offer banners. ;-)

And finally, our good friend Tard...what to say. I guess it's good to see you finally follow through on your threat to bash me and my company! As anyone who has ever worked in a business will know, it's impossible to satisfy all customers at all times. That said, we do our absolute best, and our sterling public record is testament to our efforts. To wit, more than 900 independent customer reviews on DrumART averaging a solid 5-stars across the board:

http://www.shopperapproved.com/certi...w.drumart.com/

By way of explanation and in defense of my company, Tard (Drew) designed his drumhead through our *amazing* HeadBuilder by purchasing background artwork from our catalog of more than 19.7 million (yes, MILLION) images. Normally, HeadBuilder orders are fulfilled as-designed since customers have the ability to resize artwork, add text, change fonts and colors, add manufacturer logos, include ports and port protectors, etc. all right within the HeadBuilder. It's truly a wonderful tool. That said, we are happy to enhance designs (adding outlines, glows, shadows, cleaning up edges, etc.) if the customer allows us to, but the overall design is usually pretty solid.

In his order, our friend Drew made many requests normally outside the realm of what is included which we happily accommodated. Swapping out logos (Peavey for Premier), adding extra logos (Aquarian, Vic Firth and Sabian), leveling things out, etc. Here's how he formatted his artwork through the HeadBuilder:

And here are the changes we made for him as a courtesy for free.

While I don't personally see any issues with the modified head, we understand that opinions are subjective and Drew did not share mine. Instead, he felt entitled to make more changes. I explained to him that HeadBuilder orders do not generally include additional design time or revisions, but that we do offer another, slightly more expensive, order option (Leave the work to us) that includes additional design time and another mockup. At that point, he got belligerent and demanded a refund which we happily provided immediately upon his request.

Our published refund policy states that HeadBuilder orders are subject to a 15% cancellation fee which we waived, again, as a courtesy:

http://www.drumart.com/help/41-help-...-policies.html

The $10 mentioned in his post is the license fee paid to our image repository for the catalog image he selected. This is a non-refundable fee since it is paid by the customer to the image repository on the back-end at the time of purchase (also outlined in our Help article above).

We DID send him a high-resolution version of the artwork he licensed, but that was unfortunately not enough to satisfy him. He became increasingly belligerent in his tone, so I had a bit of fun with him. As I said to Drew in the long and comical chain of e-mails that resulted from this little debacle, we're in business to do good work and make a bit of money, not take sh*t from unreasonable customers. So we don't.

Anyway, that's the long and the not-so-short of our interaction with Tard. To Berm's point, it's the first negative thing you've heard about me personally (obviously not our work since Drew never actually received a head) because we very, VERY rarely have issues with customers. After more than 15,000 heads produced, I can count on ONE HAND the number of interactions like this that we've had. I sleep very well at night knowing that we do good work very quickly and for a reasonable price.

Rest assured that we at DrumART work very hard to satisfy ALL of our customers. If you're even relatively close to reasonable, we'll work great together as you can see from our reviews and the generally kind words you've seen about us here and elsewhere. If not, I can send you links to a couple competitors you might like to work with... ;-)

And thanks for reading if you actually made it this far! Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have additional questions, comments or concerns about DrumART or bass drumhead artwork in general at jim AT drumart DOT com.

--Jim.

DrumART.com - Use Your Head! (TM)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Here's another option:
Vintage Logos
I haven't used them, so I can't testify, but I've been considering buying a head from them.
The website will allow you to import your own art and edit it for the head. They also have many canned choices.
If you use them, report back, so I'll know if I should too. ;)
I personally would not use that site. I have no experience or examples of their work but I find their site to be a bit shady.

The high school drumline used in the photo on this link is a photoshop.

http://www.vintagelogos.com/marchingheads.html

The reason I know this is because I taught that drumline. It is from a school in Ohio and their Mascot is not the Red Tigers. That photo was blatantly taken from their website and had the fake bass drums heads photoshopped on. That picture is probably from 2002 or 2003.

They might do ok work but if they can't use real examples on their site, it makes me wonder how good they could possibly be.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumART Jim View Post
And finally, our good friend Tard...what to say. I guess it's good to see you finally follow through on your threat to bash me and my company! As anyone who has ever worked in a business will know, it's impossible to satisfy all customers at all times. That said, we do our absolute best, and our sterling public record is testament to our efforts.:
Still full of BS I see, you forgot the part about how you did the artwork and sent it to me without my approval then charged me for it and tried to justify it by saying head builder designs are non refundable, but yet, and here is the funny part, you can use head builder as many times as you want with no fees until you send in the cash, if what you say was true then there would be a $10 fee each time you used it. You should have just told me you could not print the other 2 names before doing the high resolution artwork, its not like I wanted to go elsewhere, just wanted to do something different. Also you stated below that you added the logos free of charge, like its something you did out of the goodness of your heart, again I call BS, you state right on your web site ("As long as you legitimately own and play the brand of drums that you are advertising on your head then yes, you are legally allowed to include the logo on your head.") You also state you had "some fun with me", no, what you did was act like a d**k and thats when the friendship turned to henshit. BTW its not finally, I have been bashing your company everywhere it gets mentioned since it happened, you have lost my business and many others that I have convinced to go elsewhere as well, I hope it was worth the $10..

Last edited by tard; 11-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Still full of BS I see, you forgot the part about how you did the artwork and sent it to me without my approval then charged me for it and tried to justify it by saying head builder designs are non refundable, but yet, and here is the funny part, you can use head builder as many times as you want with no fees until you send in the cash, if what you say was true then there would be a $10 fee each time you used it.
Um...again:

"The $10 mentioned in his post is the license fee paid to our image repository for the catalog image he selected. This is a non-refundable fee since it is paid by the customer to the image repository on the back-end at the time of purchase (also outlined in our Help article above)."

Of course you can load as many images into the HeadBuilder from our Catalog as you'd like -- it wouldn't be much use if you couldn't. As a layout tool, the HeadBuilder uses free, low-resolution, watermarked images from our repository (called "comps") to allow our customers design their heads.

Obviously the license fee would be paid to the image repository on our customers' behalf at the time of purchase since the image license purchase is theirs, not ours.

Hopefully this clears up any potential confusion for anyone interested in our service.

Cheers!

--Jim.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 AM

Hey Jim! I just checked out your website, and it's pretty awesome! It looks like you guys do good work...

I have a question... I live in Taiwan, and play in a band here. I'm wondering, do you ship overseas? Any idea how much it would cost to get a head shipped over?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitgreen View Post
Hey Jim! I just checked out your website, and it's pretty awesome! It looks like you guys do good work...

I have a question... I live in Taiwan, and play in a band here. I'm wondering, do you ship overseas? Any idea how much it would cost to get a head shipped over?
Thanks much! We sure do -- international orders account for around 10% of our business. We've sent our heads almost everywhere!

Unfortunately, sending big packages overseas isn't cheap. Shipping to Taiwan via USPS International Priority Mail is $55 US (ouch!) You can find all kinds of info on our international shipping here:

http://www.drumart.com/help/40-help-...ationally.html

Thanks again!

--Jim.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Um...again:

"The $10 mentioned in his post is the license fee paid to our image repository for the catalog image he selected. This is a non-refundable fee since it is paid by the customer to the image repository on the back-end at the time of purchase (also outlined in our Help article above)."
Well maybe, just maybe, you should tell people that you cant print the head the way they want it before they pay for an image they cant use. Just saying. But at this point who cares, I lost $10 but you lost hundreds on missed sales thanks to me and my big mouth.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Crikey almighty.

Drew, you're not doing any favours with your tone towards Jim. So far in this thread, Jim has come across very reasonably and clearly explained his position. You have not. May I suggest that you - to use pub parlance - take it outside? It's not exactly pleasant reading watching a man implode online.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
May I suggest that you - to use pub parlance - take it outside?
My apologies to all. It was not my intent to hijack or derail this thread, but I thought it was important to reply to a such a public indictment of me and my company. I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions with regard to DrumART or custom bass drumheads in general, but I won't take any more bait.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled (and hopefully *relevant*) thread. Thanks for everyone's indulgence! ;-)

--Jim.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

I think you were being absolutely fair, Jim. Not aimed at you. I think you do fine work.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My apologies to all.
Not at all. I'm fully aware there are two sides to every story........seldom when a business or manufacturer is slighted on an internet forum do I get to see both of them.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 AM

To DJ Magic D, I will personally guarantee a great experience if you go with Drumart.

If you don't absolutely LOVE your drum head, I'll send Jim the $10! :)

Seriously, Jim does great work. Don't let Tard's unfortunate transaction keep you from going with the best.

Bermuda
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
To DJ Magic D, I will personally guarantee a great experience if you go with Drumart.
High praise, indeed -- thanks, Berm. That said, I feel like I already owe him $10 for helping drag his thread into the mud.

Speaking of which, I totally forgot that we have an active $10-off coupon in our system available to Drummerworld forum members from the ads we ran here a while back.

I don't want to break any rules by posting it publicly, but I'm happy to do so if it's okay. If not, anyone interested can just PM or e-mail me and I'll be happy to give it to you.

Cheers!

--Jim.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Crikey almighty.

Drew, you're not doing any favours with your tone towards Jim. So far in this thread, Jim has come across very reasonably and clearly explained his position. You have not. May I suggest that you - to use pub parlance - take it outside? It's not exactly pleasant reading watching a man implode online.
Sorry, no tone intended, just clearly stating the facts of my experience and how it was handled and how it should have be handled and was by no means "imploding" online or trying to "bait" anyone. I was just trying to save others from the extremely unprofessional and very unpleasant experience I had to deal with once things went south with this particular merchant considering he even admitted to "having fun with me" and have actually left out much of the unpleasant details of our conversations.

Any members that have read many of my previous posts know I give praise when products and or services are as or better than advertised and I seldom bad mouth any product or service even if my experience was less than satisfactory, but in this instance I could not sit back in good conscience and let other members of this forum possibly deal with what I had to endure with out giving the heads up. Buyer beware is all I have left to say on this subject.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 AM

Heads-up is hereby acknowledged, and I'm glad Jim weighed in as well. Many of the companies and service people we deal with aren't here to explain themselves when necessary, and it's important to have facts and balance when being asked to assess a product, or somebody's work, or how they conduct business.

The OP can now make his decision accordingly.

Bermuda
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller598 View Post
I personally would not use that site. I have no experience or examples of their work but I find their site to be a bit shady.

The high school drumline used in the photo on this link is a photoshop.

http://www.vintagelogos.com/marchingheads.html

The reason I know this is because I taught that drumline. It is from a school in Ohio and their Mascot is not the Red Tigers. That photo was blatantly taken from their website and had the fake bass drums heads photoshopped on. That picture is probably from 2002 or 2003.

They might do ok work but if they can't use real examples on their site, it makes me wonder how good they could possibly be.
Good information and I agree. I had no info on them, and the web site is pretty nicely done, but I would not use them based on what you have said.