DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Travis Barker

Among what i see through teenage drummers and listeners, Travis Barker is highly over rated. Most teen drummers talk about how 'awesome' Travis is and how he is 'the best'. Mainly they think that being lightening fast determines a good drummer. That's all i hear my peers talk about. No doubt Travis is an excellent drummer, but i would rather see him be admired for his excellence than how fast he can move or being Blink 182's famous drummer. Personally, I much prefer Mr. Barker as the drummer for the Transplants rather than Blink 182. And how come Steve Gadd or Vinnie Colaiuta hasnt had a TV show?

Does anyone agree with my opinion or am i just talking nonsense?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Travis Barker

So you're saying he's both fast and excellent, but you'd prefer him to be admired for his excellence rather than his speed? Believe me, there are plenty of people admire him for the "right" reasons.

=-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Travis_Barker.html

Old 07-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Pioneer Member

I guess i cant quite get the point across i was trying to make. Or maybe its just me talking nonsense. hah.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Pioneer Member

i can see what your sayin. personally, i think travis is a very talented drummer, i just think he should work on his feel.

PS.and the reson steve gadd or vinnie don't have their own tv show, is directly because their were never really popular like him in the non drummer world. but they have something he doesn't............instructional DVDS!! yay.. haha so that means we can try and be the next them!!
peace
Old 07-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Pioneer Member

haha. I was just kidding around when i said why didnt they have their own shows.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Pioneer Member

i think that travis is a amazing drummer.. but, he is so popular you know. and if you are popular, people wants you for everything.. tv is a good example, so.. travis got his own show..
Old 07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Travis is a good, well trained drummer, that's all. End of story.

He is just more popular among non drummers (and young drummers who were non drummers :D ) than, for example Billy Cobham (who is, no doubt, genious)...

Actually I liked what Bernhard sayed in some of his posts... (not precisely what he sayed, something like that)''if people start playing drums because of him that is good!'' They eventually sooner or later will go into complicated stuff

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM
onggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammaster
Travis is a good, well trained drummer, that's all. End of story.

He is just more popular among non drummers (and young drummers who were non drummers :D ) than, for example Billy Cobham (who is, no doubt, genious)...

Actually I liked what Bernhard sayed in some of his posts... (not precisely what he sayed, something like that)''if people start playing drums because of him that is good!'' They eventually sooner or later will go into complicated stuff
Yeah nicely said!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Stu_Strib

I love this forum! This is the only forum on the internet (yes, I've checked them all, hehe) that can have an intelligent discussion about Mr. Barker without a huge fight breaking out.

My opinion is that his playing style is difficult to play, yet highly annoying. Other bands and drummers play difficult parts with music that can be slightly-to-extremely annoying, but I like them (Rush, Chic Corea Elektric Band, Cobham, Steely Dan, Dream Theater). The drumming in these bands is so amazingly talented and difficult, that it makes it easy to look past whatever annoyance the rest of the music brings (Rush's vocals, Corea/Cobham/Steely Dan dated 70s sound, Dream Theater's pretentious difficult-just-because music). The same can't be said for Blink-182. He obviously doesn't suck, but his taste is far different than mine and much different than the legends like Gadd and Coliauta.

I've also noted on more than just a couple of songs, Blink 182 has real problems with their tempo. It may be intentional by the producer, but I'm never a fan of studio music that has obvious tempo variations.

His videos on drummerworld are the worst examples of good drumming of all the ones Bernhard has posted. Everytime someone says how 'awesome' Travis Barker is, I ask for some sort of amazing footage (such as that new Benny Greb guy), but nobody can come up with anything. Every video I've seen is just him playing semi-fast 16th notes, marching drum style, with lots of flashing lights. He is much better than that on some of the Blink-182 recordings, but again, he plays stuff just to play stuff, and it gets annoying.

Thanks for the mature discussion on this topic, and lets hope all the "Travis Barker RULZ!" crowd stays away from this thread.

stu
Old 07-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree with most of what people say about Travis being popular. I guess he deserves a place in drummerworld due to popularity and that's about it. He isn't playing anything that hasn't been played before. There are some drummers in that genre who don't get enough recognition. Brooks Wackerman for Bad Religion being one of them. Travis is a lucky a guy, he was in the right band at the right time. Blink182 are a bunch of good looking guys who play music that appeals to a demographic that likes to buy lot's of merchandise and music. He has his show on a channel that like to sell lot's of crap to a certain demographic that is known for buying lots of crap due to watching that certain channel. There is no mystery there. I think as far as his solo's are concerned they lack texture and feel. There is no build or culmination into anything. He shows off how fast he can play and badly segways into an off tempo break-beat. Not impressed.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Pioneer Member

travis has some speed...... thats about it IMO.....sorry but... ya know
Old 07-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Pioneer Member

The deal with Travis Barker is that he isn't a highly-acclaimed and talented drummer like Vinnie or Gadd or Cobham, but he is still extremely talented. Travis Barker is a high-class celebrity, no argument needed there. Because he is a huge celebrity people who don't know drums will see him and say, "Wow this guys amazing." Their facts are based on what they think makes a great drummer, and usually it's speed, their "look," and power.

Then there are people like most of us who are drummers and have seen what it takes to be put up on the pedestil as an amazing or unbelievable drummer. When Travis Barker is compared to many other drummers out there he may fall short, but he has the upper hand over them because how many drummers are as massively main-stream as Travis Barker. For example if Vinnie C., Virgil Donati, or Cobham were as famous as Barker in every way, then maybe people would realize what it takes to be a great drummer. You get what I'm trying to say? Travis Barker has just set a standard for the non-drumming community and those who don't know much about drums

So in the end Travis Barker is a great drummer, but not an amazing drummer (i.e Cobham, Rich, etc.)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Pioneer Member

^^^ what he said. I thought he was really good when i first heard him, then i listened to more technical stuff (Dream theater for one) and realised that barker isnt god, just good.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Barker isn't a bad drummer but I don't think he's very good either. He gets done what he's supposed to do in his line of music, but he doesn't really try to innovate or improve like Wackerman or even Freese.
A lot of people argue about his corps background, as do people with Joey Jordison, the little rudiment video on here didn't really impress me either. It was very show-style with the stick clicks and kind of crass but that could be because I'm used to listening to real corps drummers perform amazing shows with great ease. What he did is very high-school level.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Stu_Strib

Exactly what Rudy said about the rudiment video...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Far too good drummer to be called a PuNk rock drummer, and absolutely no punk attitude, a more MTV obedience attitude. But I do appreciate his energy and technic.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 AM

GRRRR it pisses me off the fame travis gets, i honestly do not think he is anything special, or really that fast....i see his solos on this site, almost all snare, and he needs some big ass stuff going around him in order to get a rise out of the crowd. i do think the only reason he is regfaded as the best drummer is becasue of his band;s fame, mostly becasue people are ignorant to classic and prog rock..i mean bozzio, peart, or portnoy are so much freakin better but, he gets all the fame....it sometimes makes mewant to kill someone
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Pioneer Member

he puts on a good show, that is about it. he is fast yes, but can he groove? NO. his tempo is usually always fast. and i hate blink 182. he is every non-drummers favourite drummer, because he is fast, has a mohawk, and lots of tatoos.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM

haha ^^^ very funny post. Back when I first started drums i would think Travis was such an awesome drummer, then I started to listen to slipknot and thought joey jordison was an awesome drummer. But as time went on and I did my research, and really started to become more innovative with my drums, I noticed that travis and joey arent everything, yes they are extremely fast, and of course joey is, but I think I have a little more respect for joey, because he has a background in jazz, yet i havent seen him play jazz, but i would like to. Anyways back to Barker, good drummer, can put on a show, but that is what he is... he is basically a show, but i think in the next 5 or 6 years you will see a new barker since he is getting in to this whole producing gig, and learning music, maybe you will see him slowly evolve in to a better drummer, you never know, so do dont hate cuz hes get a fine ass wife also
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23 PM

I like him ok as a drummer, but as a person he seems like an egotistical jerk. Maybe i'm way off here, but thats the vibe i get from all his T.V. apperances and interviews. He's all "I'm so hardcore."

His style of drumming is very simplistic, which doesn't bother me, but "punk" drummers usually are self-taught and aren't articulate at all. I think he stresses "image" both visually and auditorily rather than expanding his sound. That makes him suck.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Pioneer Member

hah, wow, bernhard just showed all you guys up haha. and if travis was here on this forum, he'd prolly not give a care, he's rich haha. but like i beleive i wish he could work on his feel. i'm a freak about that. cause unlike buddy, or gadd, when they play rudiments they don't play them like rudiments, do you know what i'm sayin? chris penn said this ina moderndrummer, i can't find which one right now.
peace
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM

Personally, i like Travis, i understand why people dont like him and as i have become more interested in drumming and listened to a lot more different drummers i have come to realise that despite his style (of apperance) and speed, he is not as good as i once believed, however as a young drummer i admire him as after hearing him and watching him (despite not liking Blink 182) he was an inspiration to me to start drumming. So i will always like him because of that.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Elemental Nausea

Unlike some of you here said, barker isn`t self-taught and has a jazz background(in teaching at least) as you can read in his profile on this page here...and he is a very good, technical drummer I think, but the point is, I guess, that he has stopped working hard to become better and better because now he is famous and rich, has a beautiful wife and maybe sees no more need to keep on practicing a lot
Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 PM

Travis Barker is GOD he is an AMAZING drummer most of the people just like him because they listen to blink 182 but its not that i love blink 182 they are my gods but i admire travis for lots of things. he´s got style, he is fast, he knows how to make rythyms with just a little guitar riff or 2 wordss from a song HE IS THA MAN
Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Pioneer Member

The trouble with Travis, Joey is that they are popular to non drummers, well ok, they are TOO popular! It is just annoying when someone says ''Travis is a god! Ptfe, Steve Gadd? Gadd who?'' That is actually the main reason (IMHO) of all these arguments about them. Just because it annoys when someone haven't got a clue what is he talking about.

I respect Travis for the thing he does, I know that he is well trained and he is no doubt a great drummer, just people shouldn't get into these kind of radical discussions...
Travis is a good drummer. End of story!!

There is no one like ''the best'' (except Buddy Rich :DDD ) There are drummers that are ''some of the greatest'' and if I say one of the greatest then he has done something that no one has done before or because he has something really special.

When someone says ''the best'' it sounds like he is talking about car races or whatever kind of sport...
Music is not a sport...it is not a competition either...

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErNeStIn_182
Travis Barker is GOD he is an AMAZING drummer most of the people just like him because they listen to blink 182 but its not that i love blink 182 they are my gods but i admire travis for lots of things. he´s got style, he is fast, he knows how to make rythyms with just a little guitar riff or 2 wordss from a song HE IS THA MAN

ok.... A) of course he can make rythms from a few rifts or a word from a song...he only knows 3 rythms....
B) selling out to the social norm is hardley style
C) he aint that fast...check out buddy rich, or portnoy, or a dead seal....theyre faster
D) he aint that damn special

Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Founder Drummerworld

I like Travis - great style and all.

But for staying with sports: When he would race a formula one race he even couldn't follow the pace car - and he knows it and agrees, that's make him sympathic.

Bernhard
Old 07-16-2005, 05:31 PM
pinkdice

Hello everyone,
I'm new here in the forum. I'm a begginer drummer, well I've been playing about 3 years on and off but it really only seems that I've been playing less, I really should practice more (just tell it to my parents who can not stand it) but in any case, I do love drummin and as far as Travis Barker is concerned, he may not be the "best" but just because he is famous and whatnot, doesn't mean he ain't good either. I think he is an excellent drummer. He has brought a lot of different things as far as drummin is concerned to the kind of music he plays, you can't really compare him to any other drummer who plays in a pop punk band. ANd he does have great technic which is something you do not see in a lot of famous bands...

Travis is coolio.

I myself prefer Tre Cool but that's another story.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Nothing he plays is very difficult, and he's not that fast. When I hear his solos, it sounds like he thinks solos are ALL about speed. He plays just like most of the customers I used to get annoyed with at Guitar Center. But he's not a bad drummer.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 AM

the thing with travis barker is that you have to undrestand that he is in a band with musically challenged ppl and as you might know alot of the blink 182 record and some of the transplants record was based off of his drum parts wich means he made the drums beats first then the other guys did the guitar and bass parts over it. So think about it if travsi started doing liek crazy odd time signatures and sincopated beats that arent straigth forward it would be way to hard for the other guys in his band to make anything up to. also you have to give him credit for what he has done is his genre compared to all the other bands.(example ecorprate marching is his music)

regarding his solo how its not very hard its because the kids who come to the blink show usually arnt like great musicains and mostly dont play music so he has to do a solo that impresses and they will enjoy since they paid 35 dollars to get in.

But he does have formal traning and he can do alot more than what he has donn with his bands.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 PM
needforspeed182

Default Travis Barker Double Stick.

There really cool! Check them out!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

they look cool! perfect for different styles in a song...

with

Tama Twin Iron Cobra Pedals

www.myspace.com/sebborocks
Old 07-19-2005, 07:58 PM
needforspeed182

Default Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

Yah exzactly, you could play cool beats with the mallet on the ride and stick on the snare
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdice
I myself prefer Tre Cool but that's another story.
omfg, tre cool is no good at all he has his good things and that but he just knows how to hit the drums and cymbals thats it, he doesnt do anything special i think he sux a little bit. Travis rulez

thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Where's your supporting evidence? Which songs does Tré suck on?

'thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.'

I don't agree with your opinion... but why should I respect? You make no clear argument as to why Travis is so good.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:30 PM

theres no need for an argument or thats what i think.

does tre do something special on drums? does he do any solo´s? the only good thing ive seen on tre he is kind of fast and has sometimes some god rythms with toms as you can hear on jesus of suburbia.

travis is FAST, creative, cool etc...

is that enough for u? or do i night to argument more? its just my OPINION if u dont respect it its cause you are not educated.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Cheers for the insult. I'm just saying, you shouldn't just say 'he rulez' back it up... I personally don't really listen to either drummer; I prefer Steve Gadd etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

does tre do something special on drums? does he do any solo´s? the only good thing ive seen on tre he is kind of fast and has sometimes some god rythms with toms as you can hear on jesus of suburbia.

is that enough for u? or do i night to argument more? its just my OPINION if u dont respect it its cause you are not educated.

I think people are a little obsessed with image. I don't care if the guy looks like Weird Al and can play drums reall welly. Being cool is not criteria for playing drums good. Also fast is over rated criteria for playing drums. What good is speed if you lack control.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
There's always a need for an argument.

Quote:
So he doesn't solo? Whoopdie doo. A lot of drummers don't solo because they choose not to. Does that mean they aren't good? No it doesn't. Actually, I have more respect for them because they have the opportunity to stand out and have the limelight on them, but they choose not to because they're humble about their playing.

Quote:
Wow! Travis is fast! So am I. Speed isn't everything.

Creative? Hahahahahahaha. There's nothing creative in his drumming at all. You want creative? Listen to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Nightwish and countless other bands that don't fall in to the category of pop/punk.

Since when did being "cool" have anything to do with drumming?

Quote:
So because somebody doesn't respect your opinion then they aren't educated? I guess most of the world's population isn't educated then...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
I think people are a little obsessed with image. I don't care if the guy looks like Weird Al and can play drums reall welly. Being cool is not criteria for playing drums good. Also fast is over rated criteria for playing drums. What good is speed if you lack control.
I think Weird Al looks cool anyway. We wanted the 'Travis Rulez' crowd away from here.. ah well.. *sighs*