DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM

Default Changing to Mesh heads on Millenium kit

I was bought the entry setup Millenium E drum kit from Thomann (think it's the mps-200) as I am just starting out. I have it setup in the spare room and will be building a tennis ball isolation platform to help with some of the rack noise. I'm also contemplating changing to mesh heads (or atleast the snare and kick for time being) to help with some noise as the rubber pads aren't the quietest but not sure whats the best way to go on a budget? I have seen some conversion kits for various drums to change to mesh and some people who have built there own but not sure I could do that.

Any advice would be appreciated or alternative solutions.

Thanks
Shane
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Changing to Mesh heads on Millenium kit

I used these for triggers:
http://quartzpercussions.com/products_en.html#harness
and these for mesh heads for my A2E- very happy with both!
Lots of options for both but when it comes to the mesh- make sure it's at least 2-ply (and stay away from Pearl Mufflers)!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
I used these for triggers:
and these for mesh heads for my A2E- very happy with both!
Lots of options for both but when it comes to the mesh- make sure it's at least 2-ply (and stay away from Pearl Mufflers)!
May I ask what's wrong with the Pearl Mufflers? I've got them on my Rhythm Traveler practice kit, and I've been considering converting it to a triggered e-kit. Will Pearl's mufflers not trigger well, being single-ply, or is the problem something else?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM

Thankyou for the info but that's more for if you're creating your own? I watched a video where someone stripped down a rubber pad on an Alesis kit and essentially just replaced it with a mesh head they bought on ebay (think it was a case of moving the trigger and raising the head slightly with some metal banding)

Another possibly budget way I was thinking was seeing if I could find some second hand, although I'm not sure if it's all plug and play? For example if I found a snare from another manufacturer would it just plug in with no issues?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodrummer1964 View Post
May I ask what's wrong with the Pearl Mufflers? I've got them on my Rhythm Traveler practice kit, and I've been considering converting it to a triggered e-kit. Will Pearl's mufflers not trigger well, being single-ply, or is the problem something else?

Thanks in advance.
Yep, it's the single ply which is the issue- about as sturdy as toilet paper. They'll do the job in the short term but will eventually stretch/ wear out and you'll have to replace them anyway.
Fortunately there's plenty of choice out there these days for 2 or even 3 ply mesh heads!
On the other hand if you're a jazz player or just not a heavy hitter, maybe you can get away with the Pearls?