DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM

Default double tom stand vs. rack

so im not sure if this is where i should post it, but it seemed like a good start.

I've been looking into other hardware options recently. I play a 2 up 1 down set, but I like to have my ride low and over the kick. due to this I'm only able to comfortably fit one rack tom on my set. so is it worth the investment in a rack, or should I get a double tom stand for now? I've also been looking at the Gibraltar stealth rack that is kind of like stands above rack on the bottom, any help with this is appreciated.

other info: I only have on crash now, but am planning on getting a second for by my floor tom. I have a couple splashes that I mount wherever right now.

"Lose your dreams and you might lose your mind." Mick Jagger
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: double tom stand vs. rack

I guess, a rack only makes sense, if you have a lot of stuff attached to your drumset. A rack costs a lot of money compared to a tom stand. Also, with single stands you're a bit more comfortable AND they're lighter if you go to a gig or something

If you like the look of a rack, then it's cool as well, though :)
In my opinion, "little sets" look kinda "silly" with a rack, as there's like nothing attached to it..

If you're thinking about expanding your set someday, you might look for a used rack on ebay? I got my Pearl DR-503 on ebay for like 250 with 9 clamps and 1 extension set.. That was cheap!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
If you like the look of a rack, then it's cool as well, though :)
In my opinion, "little sets" look kinda "silly" with a rack, as there's like nothing attached to it..
this is why im thinking of the gibralter stealth rack. it gives you the strength and organization of a rack without being huge of cumbersome. you also have the customization ability of stands due to the different platforms.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Pioneer Member

My set is 1 up and 2 down so not a lot of drums. I just purchased a new MyDentity kit with big shells and I wanted the 12x14 tom in a snare basket. I did a lot of research and decided on the Gibraltar Stealth system. I use both the side system and the dual snare basket system. Using this system the rack tom is locked in nice and tight, no bouncing out of place and the system is heavy duty enough to handle all my cymbals. For me its not too much rack and allows a clearer view of the lower portion of the kit.

I have a set of Paiste 2002s that are going to replace the Dream Bliss cymbals, if I recall correctly the Paiste cymbals are going to be heavier and I'm sure the rack will have no problems handling the extra weight. If you decide to I think you will enjoy the Gibraltar Stealth rack.
Attached Images

Animal Life Savers
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

^------That set up looks sweet man. Now I'm going to have to look into a stealthy rack.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Gold Member

The Stealth rack is great. Easily fit two toms to the left of the kick. Here's a kit I used to have mounted on the Stealth.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Also consider .............
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...sid=677&cid=30

Holds two toms and two cymbal posts with a lot less set-up time.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Some dudes dig racks but I'm really not a fan of them. Very clunky and if you set up and tear down a lot it can take away a lot of empty space in the car etc.

If you're gonna leave your rack at home then by all means I'd say yeah, set it and forget it. But for gigging I find the simpler the better, sometimes a snare, kick, 1 up, 1 down, 2 cymbal stands and a hat is all I need. And with a sturdy stand you can bracket your tom holder to it so you're better off.

That hipGig kit looks like a winner for frequent gigs. That's totally off topic though ha.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM

thanks, now that I've actually seen pictures of real drum sets with the stealth rack I think I'm more interested. the quad stand is also an alternative. i mainly want a stand that can mount my two toms and a crash so both look good.