DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Another Guitar Center good experience...

OK - so I wanted to try S Hoops on my Stage Custom kit.

I found 3 of them, in person, at a well known store (rather not say where), with a big internet presence (snare, 10 and 12" toms).

But they didn't have the oddball 14", six hole hoop for the floor tom. I know they make them, because I saw them on the web site.

I asked the manager there (store shall remain un-named), if he could order one for me. He looked for a second, then came back with 'They don't make them in that size'.

I said 'Yes they do, I saw them on their web site'.

He says ' No - they don't make them in that size.

To make a long story short, I checked GC's site, and they carry only one S Hoop for a snare with a different hole pattern.
So I stopped in to the local GC store and asked them about it. The guy says 'Let me see what I can do'.
He got on the phone, and before I walked out, I had one ordered.

Picked it up today, and now I've got a complete set of S Hoops.

Thanks, Guitar Center.

Don't know if I'm just lucky, or what, because I hear a lot of forum complaints about GC, but I've had mostly very good experiences with the GC here.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Another Guitar Center good experience...

One problem with internet is that we hear about more problems than good experiences. With Guitar Center, there's good staff, poor staff, well stocked stores, and poorly stocked stores. I've had a number of god experiences at various GC stores across the country, as well as more than my share of bad.

But many of GC's problems are due to uneducated & uncaring staff, and just shouldn't happen. It's one thing for the store not having a throw-off in stock, and another for the person behind the counter not even knowing what that is.

You ran into a good guy, and there are certainly more than a few in the GC drum departments. But there are a LOT of boneheads, and that pushes the vast majority of posts into the complaint column.

I go back and forth on GC. I'm pleasantly surprised when I run into sharp people there, and not at all surprised to find idiots. I'll give credit where credit is due, but I won't gloss over the incompetence that is so rampant throughout their ranks.

Bermuda
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Ya - I know.

I just made the thread to give 'equal time', sort of a 'balance' to the similarly named negative thread a bit below this one.

I've had a couple of 'not so happy' experiences with GC, but nothing as bad as with the other store in the first post.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

True, numbskulls are not exclusive to GC.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
One problem with internet is that we hear about more problems than good experiences. With Guitar Center, there's good staff, poor staff, well stocked stores, and poorly stocked stores. I've had a number of god experiences at various GC stores across the country, as well as more than my share of bad.

But many of GC's problems are due to uneducated & uncaring staff, and just shouldn't happen. It's one thing for the store not having a throw-off in stock, and another for the person behind the counter not even knowing what that is.

You ran into a good guy, and there are certainly more than a few in the GC drum departments. But there are a LOT of boneheads, and that pushes the vast majority of posts into the complaint column.

I go back and forth on GC. I'm pleasantly surprised when I run into sharp people there, and not at all surprised to find idiots. I'll give credit where credit is due, but I won't gloss over the incompetence that is so rampant throughout their ranks.

Bermuda
I agree 100%. I've ran into a couple of the 'deer in the headlights' guys, 'airheads with obviously wrong information but zealous to tell you', but on the other hand I've ran into some fine people, and the latter is more common for me than the first.

One such experience was with a fellow that was selling me an acoustic guitar. I knew most of the differences but I wanted to be sure and make conversation to sway me in one direction or the other. The guy came in, and IN DETAIL explained every little nuance between every model of Taylor Guitar on their shelf. The woods, the bracing, the fretboard, tuners, woodworking process, where the wood came from, the tonalities of them, the price differences, the best values, the kings and queens, I mean everything. Convincing, too. It was a 10 minute explanation/demonstration. I felt like I had read the owner's manual.

I walked out with a Martin (ironically) but the guy happily sold it to me and was probably the most knowledgable staff I've ever ran into there. Very pleased.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K