DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

Iv'e been wanting to read music for drumming purposes for a while...what book/dvd would you guys recomend for me? I just want to learn for now the most basic of reading music. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 AM

Syncopation for the modern drummer is what i started on. Don't know if its still in print though. Its supposed to be like the begginers bible in music.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Hi, Im looking for a DVD that focuses on hand and foot technique, e.g different grips, moeller technique etc. Could someone recommend me the best instructional dvd for this in their opinion? thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 AM

Pat Petrillo, "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" has great explanation on hand technique and exercises, with lots of groove with play alongs for foot technique

Jo Jo Mayer Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer focuses on Hands extensively as well. Both are great
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Jojo Mayer DVD - absolutely the single best instructional video ever for hand technique. No joke. I have invested in many videos by top drummers and most lack real instructional value. Its great to watch them play, but of little value for education. They don't hold a stick to this one :)

Pat Petrillo Hands Grooves and Fills has exceptional content as well for the topic.

Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials DVD for styles
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 AM

NAME:
Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer - by JoJo Mayer

STAR RATING:
# # # # # (#)

WORDED RATING:
I took a quick look and didn't find anyone who has reviewed this DVD, so I figured I would correct this. I give this DVD an optional 6th star simply because it blew me away!

TARGET AUDIENCE:
All playing levels - Anyone looking to improve their hand technique.

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Limited

DESCRIPTION:
In this DVD, Mayer covers pretty much every good hand technique there is. Although this DVD is more encyclopedic than most others, Jojo really has a great way of explaining the techniques crisply and accurately. Plus the grooves he throws in really show off what's capable when you bust out the "secret weapons". Personally, I am just learning Moeller strokes (correctly this time around) but I know that there is so much more to cover. I can't wait to get to the push-pull, and one handed roll! Jojo is a phenomenal drummer and I have gained much from his instruction with this DVD.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 AM

If anyone is thinking about getting Todd Sucherman's new DVD, don't think about it, just do it. Someone on here recommended it, then someone else on another drummer site did also, and I came back here and read even more good stuff about it.

Very entertaining and informative, and I haven't even made it to disc 2 yet :)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Books Stick Control
Ted Reeds syncopation
Joe Morellos Master studies

Dvds Anything By Steve Smith

JoJo MAYER
Tommy Igoe
and something new Jason Bittner

To me you need no other but a good Teacher
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

has anybody seen the Ed Shaughnessy DVD??
Taste, Time, Technique and Timbre??
i was thinking of getting it but dont know if it is any good......
if anyone has seen it a reply would be great!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

NAME:
The Commandments Of Early Rhythm And Blues Drumming - Book and CD

Written by Zoro and Daniel Glass

STAR RATING:
##### 5 Stars out of 5

WORDED RATING:
All you ever wanted to know about Shuffles!

TARGET AUDIENCE:
All playing levels - Anyone looking to learn about the shuffle and its variations.

PUBLISHED BY:
Alfred Publishing

DESCRIPTION:
The book mainly concentrates on the early 40's and 50's Rhythm and Blues drumming styles which were all shuffles. These shuffle patterns are where Rock and Roll came from. I bought this book with the hope of improving my shuffles and have re-discovered my Rock and Roll roots. The book is full of history, great photos and written examples of each shuffle that corresponds to the CD so you can hear the groove. There are several full length charts with exampls on the cd both with and without drums allowing you to play along. The book also contains great listening recommendations pointing out the style of the shuffle and who made them famous. It's an awesome book that i now consider mandatory for any drummer.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 PM

Has anyone got ahold of Benny G's DVD yet?
Even if it's awful (very, VERY unlikely), I'll still pick up a copy; Benny's a frickin superhero man.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

NAME:
Benny Greb: The Language of Drumming

STAR RATING:
# # # # # #

WORDED RATING:
The usefulness of the concepts in this DVD are amazing, it touches on aspects that many drummers sadly do not notice and the material in the DVD will help anyone.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Everyone

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson

DESCRIPTION:
Benny structures this DVD to start from the foundation right up to combining all aspects of playing. The system he has created is like a language in that drumming is made up of letters, then those letters can be put together to create words and then sentences. This may sound like some sort of typical analogy you may hear but this DVD is not typical.

This isn't a DVD that throws a few patterns at you or licks for you to learn. The exercises are EXTREMELY flexible and can be made as easy or as complex as you want on the kit. It is hard to explain but the amount of useful content you can get from this DVD is amazing.

Benny demonstrates almost all of the exercises he mentions. He also talks about timing, exploring different sound sources and other essential aspects to improve your musicality.

The visual quality of the DVD deserves a mention as it definitely makes the footage more interesting to look at.

Benny has performances in between some sections with a fantastic solo at the end. There is also a PDF file on one disc that has some of the exercises explained or written out. There is also some bonus material on the second DVD with tour footage and other miscellaneous videos.

I have only seen this DVD once and so I can't think of everything I just saw right now, but I can truly say that it was worth my $80 that it cost me to get.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 PM

How about Russ Miller's new DVD, Arrival? Has anyone picked up a copy yet?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Pro Drummer

Greb is Great! Love this groove/solo:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/bennygreb20081.html
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM

How is Rich Lackowski's book on progressive drumming? I'm thinking of buying it, any reviews?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Double Trouble Drums by Chris "Whipper" Leyton.

This DVD covers his style of playing blues shuffle beats.
The lessons (exercises) are 18 and are shown fast, slow and with a band.
If you like the drumming on Stevie Ray Vaughan's records this one is for you!

Steve Smith - Drum Legacy

This DVD is the shit for all jazzdrummers. 100% jazz and awesome lessons.

I found them on internet so i got it for free, but it is well worth the money if you buy it.

Last edited by lowhatten; 04-14-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:27 AM

A book many seem to overlook is Ed Soph's "Musical Time, A Source Book for Jazz Drumming." It's the only book I've seen that addresses playing jazz ride rhythms as they are played by jazz drummers like Tony Williams, Louis Hayes, Jimmy Cobb, etc.

I read one review of Soph's book that dismissed it as "too basic." Wrong! The exercises start with simple rhythms, but soon progress. Sure, you'll not find the complicated independence gyrations you'll find in "Coordinated Independence For the Jazz Drummer," but you'll perhaps find something even more valuable--the ability to play swinging, breathing jazz time that your fellow musicians will prefer to the locked-in limitations imposed by the standard ride pattern found in most drumming tutorials. And when the later chapters of the book are played at faster tempos, you'll unlock the secret of the Cobb/Williams/Klook type ride rhythms that made the sound of those drummers sound so expansive and open-ended.

I sent a letter to Soph, complimenting him on his book, and encouraged him to write a second book that expands on the knowledge found in the first. He said he's working on a second book that will deal with broken cymbal rhythms and various time signatures.

I have worked as a professional jazz drummer for over 30 years. And I have purchased, and studied from, many drum books. For an introduction to playing swinging jazz time, I find "Musical Time" to be among the best introductory methods of playing jazz time on a drum set.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Author: John Riley

Name: The Master Drummer

Rating: *****

Target Audience: This DVD is a great asset to novices, seasoned players and educators.

Publisher: Alfred Publishing Co.

Description:

John Riley’s new DVD release The Master Drummer is an in-depth look at characteristic of great drumming. John brings over forty years of teaching and performing experience with Jazz notables including: Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Milt Jackson and John Scofield, into a unique discussion of four aspects that drummers need to possess for success: technique, groove, creativity and musicianship. The video includes the basics of hand and foot technique. Its main features are the many phrasing exercises and fill ideas for the beginning students as well as the more advanced learner from some of the greatest drummer including Roy Haynes, Philly Jo Jones and Max Roach. These are also included on a PDF file, which can be printed for easy accessibility. The video includes many ideas about practicing, talent, and an analysis of recordings where he discusses how technique and coordination are used to serve the musical needs of the ensemble. . As such this is a great asset for rock, funk, jazz and Latin drummers alike and offers a superb addition to his groundbreaking books The Art of Bop Drumming and Beyond Bop Drumming.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM
SickRick

I had a review up here from Benny Grebs DVD that wasn't that good. Apparantly, I've showed the DVD to many of my students and they all love it. Not only that - basically everybody who watches it is so impressed with the picture quality and Bennys way of explaining stuff that they all think it's one of the best DVDs ever shot about drumming. So I decided to remove my review because for the target audience this DVD seems to deserve a much better rating that I had given it.

Sorry about that.

On the other hand: It's never too late to change your mind about something.

Last edited by SickRick; 07-01-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: see post
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 AM
LinearDrummer
This message has been deleted by LinearDrummer. Reason: bought it...didn't like it!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
SickRick
This message has been deleted by SickRick. Reason: See prior post
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

I just saw this Benny Grebb DVD at Drum Depot in Toledo. The alphabet, word thing was done by Phil Perkins in the 70's. Nothing new here.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM

I just recently launched my website where I upload videos explaining new drum fills and ideas. Check it out and see if you think it's any good. Most of the things I'm "teaching", if that's what you want to call it, are for more advanced drummers, but I try to break it down so anyone can understand it. Since this is a review forum, I'd appreciate it if people checked it out and reviewed or gave feedback on the small amount of clips that I have on it. Thanks

www.newchops.com
Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Author: Easy Music Lessons

Title: The drum collection

Star Rating: * * * * * (out of 5)

Review:

Well, first let me say that I've never trusted drum instructional sites. I've always had some pre-judgment like "this is lame" fashion. I'd always thought that this thing was not for me. But, last year I needed some extra cash (my gf got fired but our mortgage was still there) so, I've started to work at nite. That interrupted my practice sessions and my willing to teach. So, I decided to try with this DVD set to see if I could get some ideas, and well, did blow my mind away. Not only the material is great, also the drumming approach and a logical learning sequence. Brandon went from the basics to really advanced studies, and It didn't cost me that much. It is a 5 DVD package all in one and the one who is covering the funk style, really gets into depth of many variations of styles. Really Worth it!.

Loui
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Freeloader View Post
Book: The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary as taught by Alan Dawson
Author: John Ramsay
Rating: # # # # #
Review: I started working on this stuff about 10 months ago and its fantastic. The rudimental ritual will give you a complete grasp of every important rudiment and a few more things that will help develop your chops. The various interpretation ideas for the Syncopation Book (by ted reed) will give you a lot of jazz vocabulary in the simplest way. All you have to do is follow the instructions and work hard on it. Great stuff every one interested in playing jazz needs to get. Alan taught people like Tony Williams, Billy Kilson, Terri Lyne Carrington, Kenwood Dennard and many more.
GREAT BOOK! Absolutely beneficial to ANY drummer.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM

The Ultimate Drumset Reading Anthology. Is it any good for reading practice?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Greetings,

In the Tommy Igoe DVD's I've noticed there isn't an angle that shows what his foot is doing. Is this the case on both DVD's? and if so where do you find the bass pattern? I was considering purchasing these sets..

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 PM
drummmhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Greetings,

In the Tommy Igoe DVD's I've noticed there isn't an angle that shows what his foot is doing. Is this the case on both DVD's? and if so where do you find the bass pattern? I was considering purchasing these sets..

Thanks
Absolutely not true. There are bass drum shots on both DVD's but it's (thankfully) not onscreen the entire time. But in answer to your question about the bass drum pattern, you use the thing that Tommy is so adamant about developing; your ears! The patterns are all explained slowly and clearly and you can see (on paper and included poster) and hear on the DVD exactly what he's doing. If you are interested in playing grooves in bands, Groove Essentials is the way to go. They totally changed my drumming vocabulary. Just ask my bandmates! :)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 AM

NAME:

“Stick Technique” by Jim McCarthy

STAR RATING:

# # # #

WORDED RATING:

An in-depth analysis on proper gripping of the drumsticks for mastery of your kit, with increased hand speed and efficiency of movement

TARGET AUDIENCE:

Beginner to advanced – good for the beginner so they can start off practicing correctly for fast gains in speed, and for advanced to review current playing and to adjust accordingly, if necessary; a great reference

PUBLISHED BY:

StickTechnique.com

DESCRIPTION:

“Stick Technique” is an e-book that explains in great detail how to properly hold your sticks in a way that will dramatically improve your speed, on the snare and all around the kit. In it you'll find in-depth discussions regarding the fulcrum, traditional vs. matched grip, the importance of dynamics, understanding pivot points, rudiment essentials, and so much more. Very well illustrated with diagrams and pictures – a fantastic reference. For an in-depth review at TheParadiddler.com, click here.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Hi and sorry for my english

I would ask about "Fred Dinkins - It's About Time".

This book is unavailable in my country, so I'm wondering is it worth to pay for a shipment from other countries.

Does any body work with this book?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM

I have recently launched a completely unique product which is a drum teaching app for the iPhone, Mapex Drum Masterclass.

The idea of the app is to learn to read drum music while on the move, using the on screen snare drum to practise the patterns. It's aimed at beginner drummers, or those who have never quite managed to learn to read the music theory and musical notation. Please check it out http://www.mapexdrummasterclass.com

I'm always looking for feedback for the app, and everything that has been said about the app so far has been very positive.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM

NAME:

“Drumming System" by Mike Michalkow

STAR RATING:

# # # # #

WORDED RATING:

An all-inclusive DVD-based course for the beginner and intermediate drummer detailing the basics, the foundation for great drumming. Advanced drummers will also find new and interesting ideas

TARGET AUDIENCE:

Mainly beginner to intermediate – beginner because all that's needed to start playing drums is there; intermediate because you'll add new tools to your 'toolbox', plus brush up on current skills

PUBLISHED BY:

Railroad Media

DESCRIPTION:

“Drumming System" is a jam-packed instructional course, just released, that covers everything a new drummer needs to get started properly in playing the drums, with a plethora of instruction for intermediate and advanced players as well. A full review of the course, with Mike Michalkow as the instructor, can be found at TheParadiddler.com via this link.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Has anyone tried Johnny Rabb's 30 days to better hands? Wondering if it's effective.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:16 AM

any one know any thing on learn and master drums program??
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM

I'll make a suggestion for those who want low cost instructional drumming video's. Join Netflix and order from their list of videos. I've gotten several which are great and have helped, without having to spend a fortune.
They have videos for beginners and professionals alike, so choose your category and have at it!
Happy Drumming :-)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM

NAME:
Fingers of Fury- Online Arabic Drumming Tuition

STAR RATING:
#####

WORDED RATING:
An awesome resource site with a fantastic community. Five stars!!!

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Fingers of Fury

DESCRIPTION:
This is a subscription based website that specialises in darbuka (Arabic hand drum) and frame drums such as the Riq, Bendir and Daf.
The site also features the e-book 'Percussion of the Arabic World and Beyond.'
http://www.fingersoffury.com.au
http://www.darbukaplayer.com (review)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Drum Books on Polyrhythms and Prog Rock Elements

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing a book on Polyrhythms and Prog Rock Elements such as Odd time signatures, and such. I already know how to do them, but I want to get more in depth, and I thought there'd be good books out there. I'm thinking of purchasing Mike Mangini's book "Rhythm Knowledge" and/or one of the 2 Gavin Harrison books. Does anyone have any more suggestions? Please feel free to email me @ HoxterDrums@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 AM

for me, THE instructional dvd of the year
Old 11-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

TITLE: Show Drumming (Book & CD) also the DVD
AUTHOR: Ed Shaughnessy & Clem DeRosa
PUBLISHER: Hal Leonard
RATING: (same as for DVD) ****
COMMENTS: A great combination of a book/cd that has the charts on the DVD "Time, Taste,Technique,Timber."

I'm really enjoying studying this material for intermediate level players and bandleaders alike.
Ed is a great Big-Band dummer and clinician who can explain concepts and techniques with authority and clarity of thought. The charts are written in a typical style that's seen in a lot of books for shows and musicals. The DVD features Ed explaining the musical considerations and techniques for each of the charts that are performed by a live Big-Band.

Highly recommended for high-school stage band or anyone wanting to learn these various styles from one of the best all around drummers there is.

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 11-21-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Has anyone tried out this DVD set? I've always liked their free instructional videos and thought about asking for this system for Christmas...

http://www.drummerstore.com/products...ing-system.php
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Someone asked me to post a link to my new DVD. Here it is..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=878KA...eature=related
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

TITLE: Extreme Metal Drumming 101

BY: Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy

STAR RATING: #####

WORDED RATING: For fans of death metal and its variants. Flo Mounier is amongst the gods. Lightning fast, technical, and immensely creative, there aren't many others of his caliber that deserver their own DVDs. That said, this is a DVD that really strips it all down and gives the viewer the building blocks for the kind of drumming that Flo does. Exercises, drills, techniques, positioning, everything. Then he gives you transcriptions of a few of his songs so you can put it to good use.

TARGET AUDIENCE: Intermediate. A lot of what he explains IS basic, but he's explaining it for those who intend to use it for the kind of technical drumming that Flo specializes in. As such, it's far from a beginner video. At the same time, the advice he gives is too basic for the advanced drummer.

GET IT AT: http://www.flomounier.com/en_dvd.html