DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Default Good exercises to do away from the kit and pad?

Any good exercises that you guys do when away from the kit or a practice pad? I'm a beginner trying to work on limb independence and I'm looking for some things to do while I wait for class to start or am sitting in the car. Anything that will help me with my actual drumming. Anyone have anything good? I've started doing RKLK things to work on my foot independence, but I'm looking for more things
Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Good exercises to do away from the kit and pad?

Just do squats, or lift, bro.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Get a copy of Time Functioning Patterns and/or New Breed. Your right thigh = hi-hat/ride, your left thigh = snare.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

I practice my "mean-face"... The face you make when playing the fills during slow songs where you look all intense. My wife often mistakes this for the face I make when trying to hide the fact that I'm passing gas.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've always been a huge fan of air drumming, tbh. Works great for getting inside the head of about any drummer, and a great way to learn other drummers' parts. You can't really get that playing drums with headphones on because you can't hear the original drum part as well. Sounds dumb, I know, and best done without an audience of any kind, but it really works.

In the car, tapping on the steering wheel is useful too. I tap out rhythms just about everywhere without giving it much thought. Some people like to whistle, I like to tap out stuff.

Really, almost anything that engages your brain with drumming will help move you along. In all the years I've been playing, I'd guess 75% of my "practice" has happened away from a kit and without sticks.

Of course, it does make me come across as a nervous neurotic to those who don't know me. Oh well!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Get a copy of Time Functioning Patterns and/or New Breed. Your right thigh = hi-hat/ride, your left thigh = snare.
Totally agree. Any of the books with specific 4 way co-ordination exercises can easily be adapted to slapping thighs and tapping feet when away from the kit. Hands and feet don't necessarily have to be hitting a drum in order to keep them moving and building co-ordination.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Totally agree. Any of the books with specific 4 way co-ordination exercises can easily be adapted when away from the kit. Hands and feet don't necessarily have to be hitting a drum in order to keep them moving and building co-ordination.
It is a bit frustrating sometimes when you get home and learn that the kick pattern you practiced all morning at work is a bit harder to pull off when you're actually using a pedal, though.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
It is a bit frustrating sometimes when you get home and learn that the kick pattern you practiced all morning at work is a bit harder to pull off when you're actually using a pedal, though.
Hard to argue with you on that. It does ingrain the various patterns and get the different limbs used to separation though......even if it doesn't give you the specific "feeling" of playing on a kit. Still, co-ordination can be half the battle, I've found. In the very least, if you can slog away at that then hopefully it's a smaller bridge to cross when you get back on the kit again.

If you can't use the kit to begin with, then the transition back to the specific action required on said kit is a hurdle that must be jumped regardless. At least part of the learning requirements have been covered and practiced. The rest is just the cross we have to bear for not having 24 hour access to a kit, I guess. In a perfect world I wouldn't need a practice pad, or mesh heads.....and I certainly wouldn't need to slap my thighs. :-)
Old 10-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Listen to good music. Imagine yourself playing it.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hard to argue with you on that.
No it isn't.

Quote:
It does ingrain the various patterns and get the different limbs used to separation though......even if it doesn't give you the specific "feeling" of playing on a kit. Still, co-ordination can be half the battle, I've found. In the very least, if you can slog away at that then hopefully it's a smaller bridge to cross when you get back on the kit again.

If you can't use the kit to begin with, then the transition back to the specific action required on said kit is a hurdle that must be jumped regardless. At least part of the learning requirements have been covered and practiced. The rest is just the cross we have to bear for not having 24 hour access to a kit, I guess. In a perfect world I wouldn't need a practice pad, or mesh heads.....and I certainly wouldn't need to slap my thighs. :-)
I do agree, and I highly doubt anything could dissuade me from playing "the drums" on my knees and on the floor. I really can't listen to music without at least one limb following something. What I need is some type of portable spring deal I can stick to the bottom of my shoe to simulate some resistance and re-bound. I bet I could take a trip to the rubber-hose section of the hardware store and figure out which tube 'feels the most like a pedal' to my foot.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Consultant

Warning: Crazy abstract concepts coming up.

I spent a few years walking in polyrhythmic time. I would walk at a certain rate and set a pulse with my feet. I would then play any odd tuplet with my hands against my legs or even just count the tuplet in my head. I would then reverse the roles of the limbs. This was during the two year period when I studied with Mangini.

Not that I have any current use for it but I can still feel pretty much every note grouping from 1-20 over 1-4 beats. Mike is so out there he can play any subdivision from 1-20 over any other 1-20 subdivision. Stuff like 12 against 19 is so difficult (and jarring to listen to) that even most master drummers don't even bother trying to attempt it. (Maybe Vinnie)

One side effect of all that is that my sense of rhythmic flow has increased to the point where I can feel 4,8, and 16 bar phrases without counting. It's almost as if I can treat a whole 16 bars as one beat. Time really seems to slow at that point. If I played more improvisational music (as I should) I'm sure that "muscle" would be worked out much more than it is currently in my straight eighth, pop/rock/metal world

Pretty much any 4 way coordination exercise can be worked on away from the kit. (You do have to be sitting down for most of them however.)

Speaking of sitting, I know guys who have set up pedals under desks at work (Arky for one).

One thing which is done but I cannot recommend is drumming while driving. Very bad idea. Your brain will start to filter out the "unnecessary" parts of the experience (such as that stalled tractor trailer in front of you) as you practice and your odds of not seeing something before it's too late go up dramatically.

There is a big push here against distracted driving. Like texting, some things are best left from when you arrive at your destination.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Cool I figured there was stuff you could do away from the kit that would help you out. Especially for independence. Someone recommended Time Functioning Patterns and/or New Breed. Which one of these is good for independence exercises that I can practice anywhere?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

You could always practice brushes on a newspaper too.

For the kids here, a "newspaper" is basically the internet made out of paper...
Old 10-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post

For the kids here, a "newspaper" is basically the internet made out of paper...

Classic brady, just classic.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Has anyone recommended practising the four Moeller strokes on a pillow yet? Up, Down, Full and Tap strokes. Also try Pull out strokes - really works your wrists!!!!

Then there's the usual Paradiddle pattern, double paradiddles, inverted paradiddles etc on a pillow or just on your thighs. Get creative with different stickings then take them to the Kit/Set.

Enjoy!

TJ

Britchops Drum Tuition
Britchops Foundation Drum Course

www.britchops.co.uk