DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Default Beginner looking for advice

Hi all,

I have only had a few lessons, however I am wanting to increase my rate of learning by getting in a lot of practice at home.

I have been looking at many books for beginners but I was wondering if there is a particular one that I should definitely go for?

I have had a quick look around the forum but I got a bit lost on what I were looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Beginner looking for advice

Stick Control by Stone is still a standard book in most drummers library.. and most don't get past the first page.. as there are enough exercises on the first page to last a lifetime. Great for hand practice..

A little more advanced but Book 1 of Gary Chester's New Breed is an excellent book for improving limb independence on the kit as well as sight reading.

Good move - Taking lessons is the best way to get up to speed faster and not learn bad habits..
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 PM

I've always been partial to the Ted Reed: Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. It has great exercises that you can play on the snare and then start alternating limbs to work on limb independence.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

I'd only recommend "Stick Control" if you have a somewhat obsessive personality. It's without doubt a great book but I can see why many beginners simply find it boring. If you are obsessive, then definitely get it, and obsess away to your heart's content!

"The New Breed" isn't for the complete beginner and I, for one, found it pretty daunting when I first started to use it: it was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my entire life up until that point. As a particularly obsessive person, I enjoyed it, of course, but had I been less masochistic I'd probably have given up drumming altogether.

I don't own every drumming book that's ever been published, but I do have a fair few and of those I have, the one I'd recommend for you is "A Fresh Approach To The Drumset" by Mark Wessels. The information is in bite-sized chunks that go deeper than they appear and it's pretty comprehensive. I haven't worked through it from beginning to end - I dip into it for ideas or if I'm not sure about something - but I think if you did you'd find you learned a lot.

Another one that you might want to come to in due course, which I can't recommend highly enough, is "Advanced Rudimental Phrasing" by Russ Gold. You will need some limb independence to get the most out of it, but you could still use the book while this is developing. It's is very much like the classic "Syncopation", but it comes with instructions as well as online resources if you get stuck.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

A Funky Primer.

Best book for a beginner who wants to play beats in a band. At least I believe so. I still go to that book all the time, and I haven't been a "beginner" for a long time! The bass drum section is pure gold. I've gone there to get ideas for songs my bands play.

http://www.amazon.com/Funky-Primer-R.../dp/0739006630
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Books... I remember those.
I used this back in the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Reali.../dp/0897244869
Really good book aimed at rock drumming, even covers a little bit on double bass.

Paiste
Yamaha
Pork Pie

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0J...gq84ZMEJHhVp6g
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

That's cool, but how much time during the day do you spend listening to music? I say study what your end result is supposed to be and go through texts/videos/lessons to achieve that. There is also something that needs to be said for learning a few exercises and just drilling them on a pad in front of the tv for hours. I was taught this in drum corps, and consequently after my time there, I would drill exercises for hours. Do that now and get the playing time in before your life is overtaken with "adult responsibility" stuff and then you never have the time to get your muscles trained.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Thanks all for the input, I will have a look.

I am having lessons and listening to a lot of music but I just wanted something I could have a look through. Learn how to better my technique and control.

Thanks again!! :)
Old 05-22-2015, 06:24 AM

Another good workout book is Master Studies, by Joe Morello. If my memory is correct, I think he studied with Stone, and the two of them together began developing exercises that would build on the material in Stone's book Stick Control.

And when you want a change of pace, work on your brush technique with Ed Thigpen's book The Sound of Brushes. Brushes are really cool and give you very different sound options that a lot of players don't have because they think that brushes are old-fashioned or wimpy. Go watch a video of Steve Smith or Jeff Hamilton killing it on the brushes. You'll see the brushes aren't wimpy at all. Dig it!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumPhil View Post
Another good workout book is Master Studies, by Joe Morello. If my memory is correct, I think he studied with Stone, and the two of them together began developing exercises that would build on the material in Stone's book Stick Control.
I wouldn't touch Master Studies until I was well acquainted with Stick Control and Accents and Rebounds.

As even Joe said, MS is for putting "polish" on a trained set of hands. Don't skip the washing.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d..m..b View Post
Thanks all for the input, I will have a look.

I am having lessons and listening to a lot of music but I just wanted something I could have a look through. Learn how to better my technique and control.

Thanks again!! :)
Not being funny, but is there a reason you feel the material you're being given by your teacher is inadequate?

Sometimes - and I'm not saying this is the case here, yet - more isn't more, it's just needless distraction from doing enough work on the simple, hard stuff right in front of us.

Two of the biggest foes we have in this game are impatience and lack of focus.