DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Default what cowbell to buy?

Im looking for a cowbell so i can play i break everything i touch by Jason Aldean, and possibly use it for a few other country songs that use it. What do you recommend for cowbell and mount?

Also is there a way to play the cowbell, high hat, and snare at the same time? Im new to drumming, so i wasn't sure if that is possible.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: what cowbell to buy?

I use this for some of my gigs. Its the Pearl PPS20 percussion pedal mount. You can play the cowbell with your hi hat foot while you groove like normal with you other limbs.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I have an LP cowbell and I think it's great. But honestly, no two cowbells are the same. I would start shopping at local drum shops and hit them all to see which one best suites your needs. Happy shopping!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
I have an LP cowbell and I think it's great. But honestly, no two cowbells are the same. I would start shopping at local drum shops and hit them all to see which one best suites your needs. Happy shopping!
i will second this.

LP is a band you should definitely look at too, i feel like they specialize in misc. percussion gear like this hah
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Agreed, cowbells span a wide range of sounds. You'll find the sound you want with Rhythm Tech or LP, both have a nice assortment if you go to a well stocked shop.

Bermuda
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

I'm a cowbell junkie...I have at least 10 of them. I started collecting them before the SNL skit, thank you very much.

You're gonna want an LP Classic Rock Ridge Rider. It's quite possibly the best "drumset" cowbell you can buy. Nice deep tone and will last forever. This is an especially good bell for a new drummer who doesn't have cowbell technique yet and would probably crush in any other bell. Yeah, it's more expensive, buy will save you from buying several other cowbells.

I also have a couple LPs in 4.5", 7", 8". Some that are handmade, some that are literally cow bells, a generic bell that was $5 brand new that sounds every bit as good as my LP bells (but will crush if you play it wrong).
Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Go on LP's website and listen to all the cowbell samples to give you a feel of what you might be looking for: http://www.lpmusic.com/products/?pro...ls&section=all

I have:

LP Rock Classic Ridge Rider
LP Rock Ridge Rider
LP Black Beauty

Check out other manufacturer's sites as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM
The Old Hyde

LP was my first cowbell and it had that classic, deep tone. I bought a Pearl Anarchy because it looked cool with spikes on it but I hate the tone of it, its too hight pitched. If I do the intro to American Band it sounds crappy to me now.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

I have found that a short cowbell such as the LP Black Beauty works well for Latin rhythms, and I have used the LP Timbale model for more rock-type stuff. It has a nice low note and plenty of projection.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

I love my bright red Lp ''Bell Diablo'' sounds great , looks cool !!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
I bought a Pearl Anarchy because it looked cool with spikes on it but I hate the tone of it, its too hight pitched.
i got one of those things, and i, too, hated the sound- until i made a startling discovery. there is a FOAM DAMPER inside. i removed the damper, and it now sounds like hoped it would. why would they do such a thing?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM

What mount do most people use, and where do they mount it? Im a beginner, so i need some direction. thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
Im looking for a cowbell so i can play i break everything i touch by Jason Aldean, and possibly use it for a few other country songs that use it. What do you recommend for cowbell and mount?

Also is there a way to play the cowbell, high hat, and snare at the same time? Im new to drumming, so i wasn't sure if that is possible.
When you go to the Guitar Center, check out the cowbell mounts they have. Usually they have two kinds, one to mount on the hoop of your bass drum, and one that's like a multi-clamp you can use on a cymbal stand. The poster who posted the foot-mounted cowbell mount picture, yes, there's those too, but it sounds like you don't need that.

I use an LP Mambo cowbell for pretty everything because it's low-pitched enough, but when you play it towards the mount end, the pitch goes up a little. I think all cowbells do that. That one is about 7" long, cost me about $27 fifteen years ago. A good rule of thumb is to get a fairly heavy duty cowbell mount because the bells are a bit heavier than they look, adn if you mount it on your bass drum hoop, that's alot of weight and over time you can start to bend the hoop, but not always.

As far as playing, I rarely play both hi-hat and cowbell at the same time, so it's either going to be one or the other. If you ever listened to the Rolling Stones' Honky Tonk Woman (who hasn't?) you'll hear hi-hat in the background, which means someone else was playing the cowbell, or it was an overdub. But if the cowbell part is the important part, then you play that, and it becomes your hi-hat part. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
...As far as playing, I rarely play both hi-hat and cowbell at the same time, so it's either going to be one or the other. If you ever listened to the Rolling Stones' Honky Tonk Woman (who hasn't?) you'll hear hi-hat in the background, which means someone else was playing the cowbell, or it was an overdub. But if the cowbell part is the important part, then you play that, and it becomes your hi-hat part. Good luck!
Sorry for swerving the thread, but I have a question for Bo.

When you play Honky Tonk Woman, after you get past the intro (cowbell: 1 and, and 3, 4) do you play the cowbell:
- al through the whole song?
- 1/8 notes?
- same as the intro?
- something different?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

\,,/
Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
Sorry for swerving the thread, but I have a question for Bo.

When you play Honky Tonk Woman, after you get past the intro (cowbell: 1 and, and 3, 4) do you play the cowbell:
- al through the whole song?
- 1/8 notes?
- same as the intro?
- something different?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.
Sorry to contribute to the swerve, but when I play the cowbell part, I play that pattern through the verses, but on the choruses I'll go to a slightly sloshy hi-hat to phatten it up a bit depending on the band playing it, but yeah, it's integral to the song so I stay on it. Figuring out the intro when I was younger was such an achievement! Who knew I'd also have to sing the song at the same time in later years!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
What mount do most people use, and where do they mount it? Im a beginner, so i need some direction. thanks
More cowbell! http://www.laughness.com/snl-gotta-h...inal-skit.1126

No but seriously you can mount it on your bass drum hoop
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-Ba...83-i1138427.gc

cymbal stand
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...66-i1139075.gc

just go to guitar center and search for cowbell mount or ask at your local drum shop. I mounted mine on a cymbal stand because I do not like mounting anything on my bass drum hoops and it has a wider variety of applications. I got this one http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-PP...97-i1140462.gc
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Rebel

Try and hit the devilīs cowbell... It might take you from here to eternity! :ī)
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

What cowbell did Gene Frenkle play on "Don't Fear The Reaper"?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

The horacio series from pearl. HH4 being thd best IMO. Just awesome sound. No muting required , of duck tape or sock.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I have found that a short cowbell such as the LP Black Beauty works well for Latin rhythms, and I have used the LP Timbale model for more rock-type stuff. It has a nice low note and plenty of projection.
Same here except I use the LP Mambo cowbell for the lower pitched stuff.

I have both the Mambo and Black Beauty on my kit. BB on the bass drum and the Mambo mounted to the right of my floor tom.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Same here except I use the LP Mambo cowbell for the lower pitched stuff.

I have both the Mambo and Black Beauty on my kit. BB on the bass drum and the Mambo mounted to the right of my floor tom.
I've been playing the Mambo cowbell for a decade now and must admit it's a versatile bell that I can use for everything. I recommend it to everyone. If you need a higher pitch, the little Black Beauty makes a nice addition too.

I also have one of those big Salsa cowbells that actually rings, and it only sounds good in really traditional Latin pieces.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM

I probably have 20 cowbells that are useable (and more that are beyond useable). For anything Latin, I'd get a Salsa bell (LP ES-5) and a Cha Cha bell (ES-2), as well as a jam block. After that, I'd add on a Black Beauty and maybe a rock cowbell, too.

One thing: stay away from the Aspire bells...the clamps are crap.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

The LP Black Beauty is probably the most recorded cowbell because its cuts thru the mix & is a great choice but I prefer the LP Prestige because its the deepest or darkest one LP makes.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead