DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Default DTX900 to Mac..help for a dummy

All I want to do is record my module sounds to a GarageBand track. I have a MackBook Pro ( 8,1). I tried a midi to usb cable but it only triggered the GB sounds [and an annoying honk sound for the hihat]. Since there is not a line in on this model Mac, I'm guessing that firewire 800 and an interface is the answer. But before going to that expense I wonder if it too will only trigger the GB sounds? Anyone know?

Chris
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 AM

Default Re: DTX900 to Mac..help for a dummy

A digital audio interface of any type is ideal. You may not have a line-in on the new Macbook, but you are not missing much as the line-in results need a lot of post production anyway. With a USB or Firewire audio interface you record the actual audible sound of the module, not any MIDI signal.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM

@ TheBarak: Thank you. Now I wonder... In the near future I plan to go VST anyway, probably BFD or Superior. Would that bring me back to the midi/usb cable, negating the need for the interface? If so I would rather jump out there now and spend on a VST. See what I mean about the "Dummy" part?
Chris
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrow View Post
@ TheBarak: Thank you. Now I wonder... In the near future I plan to go VST anyway, probably BFD or Superior. Would that bring me back to the midi/usb cable, negating the need for the interface? If so I would rather jump out there now and spend on a VST. See what I mean about the "Dummy" part?
Chris
The MIDI to USB cable will allow you to play the standard drum sounds in Garageband, without buying your first VST software package. But MIDI and audio are separate so that cable will not be able get the module's sounds over to your computer.

The DTX700 sounds are so good that you might miss them badly until you spend more money on a VST package for the Mac.

If you buy an audio interface you can still do MIDI through as you would with the cable solution.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Pioneer Member

I just use a simple midi - USB cable. You can get them for like $8 on amazon. That sends signal straight from the drum brain into the computer without an A/I.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
I just use a simple midi - USB cable. You can get them for like $8 on amazon. That sends signal straight from the drum brain into the computer without an A/I.
True but he cannot record his DTX700 sounds that way, the cable can only trigger virtual sounds on the Mac itself, and his cable is not playing nice with his Garageband hihat. Since there is no line in, he will need an audio interface to get the DTX sound onto a recording.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah, I see. My bad. I thought it was just the triggering a VST issue.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM

On my MacBook you can use the headphone jack as line in. You can change the function of that jack (in/out) from system preferences.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM

If you want to record the audio of the dtx kit? Midi is no good as that is a midi signal not a audio sample.

So if you want the sound of the rock snare for instance, use the left audio out (mono ) conect to mic in on the Mac then record a hit on the snare and save a loop in GB lots of work but u can then build your own virtual kit using the audio sound from the dtx.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzi View Post
On my MacBook you can use the headphone jack as line in. You can change the function of that jack (in/out) from system preferences.
I forgot about the dual function of that socket on the new Macbook! You are correct.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Thank you all for the info! My work around solution ends up pretty bizarre. This particular Mac is one of only a couple models without the dual function headphone jack! Already having a little Korg digital recorder, I tracked on that. It uses mp2 files so I converted them to giff and dropped them into GB. This will not be my final solution though. I just needed something quick to collaborate long distance with my son and his music project.

This Macbookpro is on loan so I am not stuck with it's limitations.

Chris