DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Upgrading pedal- which one?

Hey everyone, lately I've noticed my somewhat rickety Pearl powershifter p02 just can't quite keep up.

I have a style much like jojo mayer, but i am also heavily training on my double bass this semester.
I'm looking for a top line double bass pedal.

I've been using a friend's DW 7000 for a bit now and love it, considering buying the 9000 for myself.
What do you suggest? Are Axis's really that good, as well as for subtle touch and sound? (not including the beater). I just don't like the asthetics too much for my style. :P To hard.

Anyway, any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Upgrading pedal- which one?

Tama speedcobras hands down, no contest. You could go the direct drive route but I can't stand em because they're so weightless, I just feel like I have no power and the feeling is quite odd. The speedcobras are soooo smooth, quick, and have a ton of power. I also am really digging the pointed beater for the punch it gives, but you can always change the angle to make it flat.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 AM

I am personally ordering some Axis right now because I like the design and I know that they can keep up to serious speed. I would say that first of all look for a pedal that you think looks great. then find a few that look amazing and then try them out. then buy the one that you think has the best combo of feel and looks.

Since you already are looking down on Axis, I wouldn't suggest them. I would say try looking at some Pearl Demon Drives, DW 9000, ot Trick Dominators/ Pro V1's. I would not suggest Iron Cobra's because everyone else will. (they are a little too mainstream for me :p but thats all personal choice )
Old 11-02-2012, 03:56 AM

If you like chain go with mapex falcon. It can also upgrade to direct. If you like direct drive go trick no contest.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

All good pedal suggestions. Axis has some nice gear. If you're already used to the chain drive - short board pedals (ie DW7000) make sure you test drive the Direct Drive, long board pedals before you dive into those.

I started on the DW9000 single. Nice pedals. I ended up getting the Trick Dominators double pedal. It took months to get used to the Longboard and Direct Drive. Insane pedal though, and I'd never go back. Plus I can get on anyone's pedal (short/long, Direct Drive/Spring) and shred.

Can't go wrong with Axis or Trick with the Longboards and DD's. But be prepared.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks everyone!

Now, what exactly is the difference between direct drive (presume just a metal thing like Axis) and chain drives, as well as long/short boards in affecting performance?|
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Thanks everyone!

Now, what exactly is the difference between direct drive (presume just a metal thing like Axis) and chain drives, as well as long/short boards in affecting performance?|
Generally speaking, a lot of drummers are able to achieve greater speeds with direct drive (DD) pedals...this is probably due to the fact that with DD pedals there is no slack (that exists with chain and strap drive)..in other words there is a direct link between the footboard and the beater... The downside to this for some drummers is a lack of feel or power that is perceived/felt in the pedal...DD's do take some getting used to, if all you've played is chain drive pedals..

Regarding longboards vs shortboards....I look at this way...with a longboard pedal, you have more surface area of the footboard to use...if your feet tend slide back (or you play farther back) on the footboard, this will allow you to still maintain better control of the pedal...
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

If you like the dw pedals then you are probably more comfortable with something heavier, and the axis, demon drive and various other pedals are quite light.

I love the 9000, I'm probably going to get one in future.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Many great pedals in the market right now but you MUST try them first. Do your research and play them. It's all about feel and durability IMO. I ended up with the Mapex Falcon double after trying out the DW 9000, Tama Iron and Speed. (I hated the Speed Cobra but that's just me) Pearl Demon and Axis. Advice is good but you have to live with it and play them. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Anyway, any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Consider the Mapex Falcon, it's a very good pedal, full adjustment on everything, it comes standard with 2 different cams, 2 different drive mode (double chains & strap), you can fit a direct drive at optional cost, it feature an innovative beater where you can insert interchangeable weights, 10g & 20g + a few extra accessories, this pedal can do everything and the quality is top notch, it's nicely finished too, with a black enamel coating, really easy on the eye, definitely the best pedal I played for the past 30 odd years.

http://drumrock.com/mapex-falcon-pedal-review.aspx
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy72 View Post
Many great pedals in the market right now but you MUST try them first. Do your research and play them. It's all about feel and durability IMO. I ended up with the Mapex Falcon double after trying out the DW 9000, Tama Iron and Speed. (I hated the Speed Cobra but that's just me) Pearl Demon and Axis. Advice is good but you have to live with it and play them. Good luck and keep us updated.
This + infinity. Do try out pedals before buying, and not just a quick couple of pumps. Play them for several minutes at least, put them through their paces. That minor titchy detail you find during live testing might become that thing you absolutely hate about them in the long run.