DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Default Upgrading from Eliminators - any noticeable difference?

I've been on Pearl Eliminators (belt driven) pedals, doubles and singles, for a good few years now, and I'm wondering if it's time to replace them.

My question is, as I considered them to be high end at the time of purchase, would I notice much difference if I upgraded to today's upper echelons? The Dw9000 comes to mind, and keeps topping the charts, but in practical terms, would I see much difference from my current elims?

Surely at the end of the day, a pedal above a certain standard, is going to do the job as well as any other. Can anyone sell me on the DWs?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Upgrading from Eliminators - any noticeable difference?

Well, there's definitely no point upgrading from one pro pedal to another unless you've tried it and found it to be better for you.

Like you said, most pedals in the pro segment (Eliminators, DW9000, Tama Iron Cobra, Axis, etc) will be good, but they often feel very different. You'll need to try them out for yourself to see what you prefer. Maybe you'll like the ultralight feel of an Axis, or maybe you'll prefer the smoothness and powerful stroke of a DW instead.

I'm an Eliminator player too, and personally I'm not a fan of DW pedals. That said, I've only ever played them in situations where I haven't had the chance to mess around with settings, so there are probably settings there that would work for me too.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. Are Eliminators still considered part of the pro bracket then? I know they were four or five years ago when I bought them.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are Eliminators still considered part of the pro bracket then? I know they were four or five years ago when I bought them.
I would say so. Although Pearl has since brought out the Demon Drive, that's a completely different pedal, aimed at players who want direct drive. For strap and chain pedals, Eliminators are still Pearl's top offering, and they're still great pedals.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Right. So direct drive - is that where the pedal is mechanically attached to the beater system, rather than connected by belt or chain? Does this feel much different? I imagine it responds quite snappily.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post
Right. So direct drive - is that where the pedal is mechanically attached to the beater system, rather than connected by belt or chain? Does this feel much different? I imagine it responds quite snappily.
Yup, the pedalboard is attached by a direct link of some kind.

It's a more direct feel, even more so than chain drive. Some people like it, some don't. I don't personally have a preference either way, but I'm not an ultra-fast kicker either. A player's preferences will generally narrow more and more as he pushes himself and his equipment to the limits of speed and power.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Ok. Thanks for your replies. Pretty much convinced me that I don't need to upgrade at the moment; I don't have problems with the Eliminators, and mostly, it seems to be a matter of preference.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say the Eliminators are still top quality, fantastic pedals.

Even over the Demon Drive.

The ability of changing the cams, for one thing, is "better" than anything any other pedal is offering for feel adjustment IMO.
There is SO much ability to change the feel & action to what YOUR FOOT likes and works with the best, to give a person the best performance possible.

Direct drive is cool if your foot likes it, everyone is different, but it's not "better" or more "pro" IMO.
The DD now comes with a chain (could probably use the strap too), and a different cam design, so it may adjust with one cam, the shapes of all that are offered with an Eliminator. That would be kinda cool, but I haven't seen any of these pedals in person.

I "upgraded" last spring, and bought a new, redesigned pedal. It was a top quality build, with great adjustments, and would last forever, but I went back to my Eliminators because I could do more things with it. The feel and action just suits my foot and technique better.
I was bummed that (after a month of trying) the Ludwig ATLAS pedal didn't work out, but that's the way it goes.
For what I can do with an Eliminator, there was no contest, and the ATLAS went up for sale.