DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Help me complete my setup

Dear Fellow Drummers,

About 6 months ago I swore to myself that I was going to become a professional drummer.
I am not looking for a super fast or easy path to reach my goal, but I do want to use my time wisely and effectively. As you can imagine, I have tons of questions, but today I wanted to ask you all about gear.

Right now I am working on starting and joining a couple bands, just for fun, experience, and networking. While I don’t expect to be anywhere close to becoming a professional for 10+ years, I do want to put myself in situations that will get me used to performing live and in a studio setting.

Basically, I am looking for general gear suggestions (or any other type you can think of) – things that you feel might be a necessity to help me reach my goal of becoming a pro. Please keep in mind that I want to do live performances and studio recordings in the meantime.

Right now my favorite styles of music to drum to are Heavy Metal (Amon Amarth), Classic Rock (Hendrix, Buddy Miles, Zeppelin) and modern rock (Wolfmother). I like funk, blues, and jazz as well but not as much as the others I just mentioned.

Below is a list of the items in my drumming arsenal. What am I missing?
1) 5-piece Tama Rockstar drum kit
2) Ride cymbal (Zildjian K Custom Dark)
3) 16” Unknown Zildjian Crash
4) 14” Hi Hats (HHX and Mastersound mix)
5) Tama double bass pedals
6) Sabian (unknown) 16” China
7) Sound muffling pads for the kit
8) My smartphone with the “Audio Visual Metronome” app (paid version) and earbud headphones
9) A 10” Remo Practice pad

And that’s it (I think). So what do am I missing that I will want to get in the near future so I can know that I have all the tools I need to reach my goals?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies..I REALLY appreciate it!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Help me complete my setup

There is really not much to go on here, but let's see... purely considering gear you might need to be a professional I will suggest:

A decent set of cases/gigbags.
A good cymbal case (when dropped drums tend to get scraped while cymbals can chip and crack)
Perhaps some in-ear monitors for yourself.
I've never used your metronome app, but I'm going to suggest a dedicated metronome.
A basic recording setup so you can re-listen to yourself practice.
Lots of books and lessons.

A good watch. A true professional is on time or early for gigs.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about the in-ear monitors - what purpose do they serve?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Make sure you remember that practice is paramount in your drumming development. You can have all the fanciest gear in the world, but if you don't practice, it won't matter what hats or drum kit you have.

One tool that I can suggest is some kind of recorder (like a Zoom) to record your practicing. I find watching/listening to yourself play is invaluable in identifying where you need work.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM

For sure - I don't think that point can ever be driven home enough, especially to a noobie like me.

I'm definitely not aiming for fancy, just functional. A ship to help me sail to my destination, if you will. Just don't want to be out at sea and realize I should have packed a compass, a map, or some extra oars.

So far out of two posts, I've learned of two things I had no idea existed last week; and those are precisely the type of things I was hoping to drum up (no pun intended) with my original post.

Never heard of a Zoom. I use my smartphone at the moment to record myself as well, which is better than nothing, but, plenty of room for improvement.

Thanks again!