DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Which Roc n Soc do I want?

I've decided to follow the advice on this forum and invest in a Roc n Soc throne. However, after reading various posts on the topic, I can't work out which is the "real" and/or "best" throne to go with.

On this website, a few are listed:

http://www.drumshack.co.uk/category....#filter-scroll

Are any of these worth having/the one to get?

Cheers
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which Roc n Soc do I want?

I'm also looking.. Really curious to know if there is a stool that doesn't rock or topple once its well used. I don't care about any other features really, I just want a solid one.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Personnel opinion...I don't like bikicycle seats!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post
I've decided to follow the advice on this forum and invest in a Roc n Soc throne. However, after reading various posts on the topic, I can't work out which is the "real" and/or "best" throne to go with.

On this website, a few are listed:

http://www.drumshack.co.uk/category....#filter-scroll

Are any of these worth having/the one to get?

Cheers
This is really a matter of personal preference. I'm on my second Nitro throne both with back rests. The first was a round seat. (my son inherited that one) For me this one was good, however I felt a little off balance on this seat. I was guessing that it was the shape of the seat. So after trying out the cycle seat, that is what I selected for the second one and it works much better for me. As for the nitrogen cylinder, I grew fond of this when I used to gig alot. Mainly because depending on what I was playing I could make quick adjustments to the height and that made it a bit more comfortable to play certain styles. If I'm using double bass then I like to sit higher, if not then I'll lower it an inch or 2. Small point but I kinda grew used to this feature. Some may say the Nitros are too bouncy but I don't find that to be true at all. And as for the back rest I only use this when I'm not playing or in between tunes or during song sections that have no drumming. Plus I'm getting old. LOL (48 as of today)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I'm also looking.. Really curious to know if there is a stool that doesn't rock or topple once its well used. I don't care about any other features really, I just want a solid one.
I meant to answer your question in the previous post. The first throne I mentioned (the round seat) is still going strong. I bought that around year 2000. Don't remember exactly. I used on countless gigs and practice sessions for about 8 years. My son still uses it. No rocking or toppling. Roc N Soc makes superior products that last IMO.

Last edited by drummydude; 10-29-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I absolutely love (for comfort) my Roc n Soc seat. However, if you should happen to gig a lot, do yourself a favor and get a model that has a collapsing base. I have the Lunar, which is solid as a rock but can be a real challenge to pack into a car.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I absolutely love (for comfort) my Roc n Soc seat. However, if you should happen to gig a lot, do yourself a favor and get a model that has a collapsing base. I have the Lunar, which is solid as a rock but can be a real challenge to pack into a car.
+1 identical situation and opinion
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

I have a R.N.S. "Nitro" round seat just keep the bolts tight & it works great....I too prefer a round seat it sits the same everytime..lol

Bonzolead
Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
....+2.......I have both, the lunar and the nitro, both with backrests........they both work great, but the nitro is much easier to travel with.

I waited for many years to get a decent throne, I can honestly say it is the single best investment in drums I have ever made.........my back used to kill me after playing for a few hours......now I can go on for a long time without the pain..........good luck in your search
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Collapsable base FTW. Unless this is for a set that never leaves the house. Even then, I'd still get a collapsable base, just in case I wanted to re-purpose it for a gigging set. Spindle or hydraulic, they both work great. I had a hydraulic cylinder fail on me once, a fluke I think, and I've been with a spindle ever since. But the hydraulics are my favorite feel, no doubt. Bicycle shape or round? I like the bike seat. Depends on your body shape. Backrest or not? I only lean back in between songs waiting for the guitar players to get ready. Otherwise, I am on the edge of my seat, so I never saw the need for the backrest.YMMV. I use RNS collapsable base, spindle bike seat w/ no backrest. Simple as they come. Even without the hydraulic, this seat is completely comfortable, all night long, for this 245 lb man, born with the bare minimal amount of ass padding. With the hydraulic, its even more comfy. A great comfortable throne is a necessity.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Recently bought a kit to get back into drumming and it came with a lame round garbage seat. It actually caused an issue with my prostate! Talking to my Dr. I guess this is something that happens frequenelty with bicycle riders. I bought a RnS and love it and no longer have the problem. I agree when people have said this is one of the most important investments for a drummer! Just for FYI i did look at the Carmichael seat that has a gap in the middle. A little out of my price range at about $250 though.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Collapsable base FTW.
I agree with that. I may go one further to say "Non-Collapsible base WTF?!"

It HAS to collapse. I don't want to drag a fully-assembled seat around. And I don't want to hear all the complaining from band members when my seat takes up that much space in the back of the van.
It needs to break down and fit in a hardware case or I can't use it. Bummer, because Roc-N-Soc looks like it'd be comfortable.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

I like the bicycle seat; anything else is uncomfortable. The triangle shape rolls your hips forward and encourages a straighter posture, IMO, and is a real back saver. The Roc N Soc bicycle seat is also much more comfortable than any other brand of bicycle seat I've tried, hands down. Try some in a store if you can.

I have played Roc N Socs that are wobbly from overuse, so you bigger dudes should get something more solid if possible. Mine are holding fine after more than 5 years.

I have also played on a hydraulic Roc N Soc that "bounced" up and down as I played -- definitely a hindrance. I'd stay away from the Nitro. And really, how lazy are we that we can just spin the seat to adjust the height? Are you going to be sharing the seat that often?

The backrest is great at the rehearsal studio or at home, but it's a bit much to pack up and take to the gig.