DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Default Need advice on Drum rack

So i am one of us drummers who are not fortunate enough to drive a van or truck with cargo room. I drive a cutlass..Its not too small, but its no astro van lol. I have wanted a drum rack for a long time, and i feel like my set has outgrown its stands.. not to mention its a pain to set-up and carry 7 or 8 stands with attachments each gig. I thought about getting a gator drumcart hardware bag. The bag is removable so its a drum dolly too, and it has wheels and a teloscoping handle. But i think i would rather have a nice rack with memory locks, probably a gibralter or pearl..I'm just not sure if i can transport it. I would need at least a two section rack.I am wondering if anybody has a rack setup and is able to transport with thier passenger vehicle. How big are they when broken down?

Thanks for the advice, anything helps!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need advice on Drum rack

I recently had this same conversation with a regular gigging drummer. He said he tried it both ways (stands and rack) and it was actually quicker for him to set-up/ pull down using stands rather than setting up and dismantling the rack each time.
His kit was a 6 piece Tama Hyperdrive with 5 cymbals- not a massive kit but not certainly not small either.
Any pics of your kit so we can get an idea of what you're dealing with? FWIW- I'd hate to stuff around with the rack I have each time I played a gig!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 AM
moretulife

Racks are handy if you don't have to take them apart. If you can just fold them with mounts attached and go. In your case, you will have to break it down to fit in your car. In that case I say get a couple of multi stands that hold 3 things each, and it will be much quicker and easier, to set up.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Yeah in your situation not sure how much a rack would help out, still would need to be broken down to put in your car.

Like was said above can you post a pic of your kit, we might be able to give you some ideas to help.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 AM

I have a rack that I don't use much anymore. When I was playing out I found it to be both useful and a pain. I don't see any real advantage to ease of hauling or saving car space. You'll still have a snare stand, hi hat stand, various cymbal arms plus the rack itself. I will say that a rack makes repeatable setups a breeze when everything is memory locked. Just mark where the legs go on your drum rug.

Where it was useful was when I used to play in clubs where there was 2 or 3 bands in one night. I could pre-setup the drums up on the side of the stage and when it was time for our band to play it was super easy to get a couple of guys to lift it onto the drum riser, slide in the bass drum, snare, hi hats, hook up the pedals and away we go.

Where it was a pain was when we would play in smaller clubs that had a limited drum riser or limited space. I had rack mounted floor toms at the time and if I had to pull in the side rack so it wasn't hanging off the riser everything was out of place. I ended up going back to stands because it's easier to move indiviual pieces without affecting the entire kit. Or just leaving out some pieces to reduce the overall footprint of the kit.

So I guess theres pros and cons of stands verses racks.

Last edited by drummydude; 10-29-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Grammer/spelling
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM

yeah i see what you guys are saying, space is kind of why i never got one..I will attach a pic anyway..I have two racks, two floor toms, 2 splash cymbals (i want a couple more) hats, ride, 2 crash cymbals(i would like 1 more) and a china(I would also like one moreof these)I'm not trying to add too much, i just dont want to limit myself and theres no telling what kind of musical situation i will be in next, so i like to have my options open on the kit. I'm not building up to a neil peart setup or anything, lol. there IS an end! haha

What if i just used the front rack? would this fit in my back seat or trunk? I feel like the main reason i need one is to get my rack toms comfy, and i cant completely do that without them having full movement(RACK). And there is no device on my drumset to slide them left/right or front/back. I also would like to find a setup I'm comfortable with and "lock it in". My setup always changes a little partly due to not being able to perfect it each time. And accesablilty is more valuble than portability imo, as long as its possable.

I am using stands with attachments now, and they hold up, but one litttle whack or too hard of a drop in the trunk, and there goes the settings! Not to mention the pile of hardware i gotta carry!

PS. - the picture is a little old. it would not let me upload the newest pics i have, but there is one of those as my profile picture if you look at that. But its basically the same as this, add a couple things, and GREEN NOW!!! Again, thanks for the help. Time to go to work now
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatPlaysDrums View Post
yeah i see what you guys are saying, space is kind of why i never got one..I will attach a pic anyway..I have two racks, two floor toms, 2 splash cymbals (i want a couple more) hats, ride, 2 crash cymbals(i would like 1 more) and a china(I would also like one moreof these)I'm not trying to add too much, i just dont want to limit myself and theres no telling what kind of musical situation i will be in next, so i like to have my options open on the kit. I'm not building up to a neil peart setup or anything, lol. there IS an end! haha

What if i just used the front rack? would this fit in my back seat or trunk? I feel like the main reason i need one is to get my rack toms comfy, and i cant completely do that without them having full movement(RACK). And there is no device on my drumset to slide them left/right or front/back. I also would like to find a setup I'm comfortable with and "lock it in". My setup always changes a little partly due to not being able to perfect it each time. And accesablilty is more valuble than portability imo, as long as its possable.

I am using stands with attachments now, and they hold up, but one litttle whack or too hard of a drop in the trunk, and there goes the settings! Not to mention the pile of hardware i gotta carry!

PS. - the picture is a little old. it would not let me upload the newest pics i have, but there is one of those as my profile picture if you look at that. But its basically the same as this, add a couple things, and GREEN NOW!!! Again, thanks for the help. Time to go to work now
I play a setup not much different from you and I gave up my rack and went back to stands. The way to address setup and teardown variations is to mark your rug for the stand feet and to collapse the stands as minimally as possible. I have several booms attached to each of my three stands and I simply collapse the booms - I never detach clamped booms or fool with height settings. I use memory clamps liberally to keep height and angle settings intact during movement. And if your stands are getting moved about simply from moving in and out of your car, you may need a new set of hardware at least.

I had eliminated my center rack tube and was gigging with two side racks, but even that had challenges and, because of how far the rack had to be disassembled to fit in the car, did not preserve the settings any more than a stand setup would have. It also played merry havoc with my back, leading to a couple of herniated discs.

For your kind of situation, I don't think a rack will get you any particular benefits, but your individual experience may vary.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

are you a Moongel endorser?

F
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Not sure how stable just a "front rack" would be? Plus the legs may protrude into your setup behind the kit.