DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Default looking for advice on drum heads!!

Hey Drummerworld community! Long time visitor, first time posting.

I'm a long time established bassist, but fairly new to the world of drumming. I'm very excited to say that I've just bought my very first set; a 1960 3 piece mahogany Slingerland Radio King shell set (kick, rack tom, and floor tom) that I picked up from a friend for 50 clams.

The drums themselves were in fairly good condition, but needed a little love. Not a full restoration, but enought to get them into comfortable playing condition. As a bassist, drums are equally my favorite instrument. I guess you might say that I'm just a flat out rhythm junkie :)

So anyways, I'm in the market for advice on drum heads, as I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for in my novice state. R&B, hip-hop, funk, and soul are my main influences. Any advice I could get would be super cool. Thanks folks, I love this site!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Re: looking for advice on drum heads!!

*scratches chin*

seems like you still need a snare, hardware, and cymbals ;)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM

sounds like you could go with some remo clear ambassadors on the bottom of your toms and possibly coated ambassadors, or emperors on the top. I believe those old slingerland kits have larger bearing edges (from what i can remember) so you will want to get as much resonance as you can from your drum heads. Remember that heavier heads provide more resonance, it seems counter-intuitive but you can think of it like this: If you hit two heads (a thin one and a thick one) with the same stick speed, they will both recieve the same initial speed. But the thicker one has more momentum as it has a larger mass, so it will resonate longer. Just a thought. haha

I like the Evans EMAD on the kick, and you can probably keep the same reso on. A clear EMAD is a nice versatile head, possibly get one with external muffling, but I think coated is the way to go on the toms, as you will get a smoother sound that is more applicable to lighter styles of music.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like a perfect kit for a set of Aquarian American Vintage heads, go with mediums and a "with felt strip" bass head, they are made to have the look, feel and a warm sound similar to calf skin, plus the American vintage are made with a bit larger hoop for ease of installation on the older vintage kits that sometimes have a bit larger diameter shell.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...vintage-series
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Because of the year that those drums were made that kit may qualify for vintage style heads that have a slightly larger hoop.
Standard heads may not fit well and be too tight on those shells.

Aquarian American Vintage series heads are a great choice for a vintage kit like that.

Perhaps another member can verify if those shells on the 60 RK are oversize.
I am not 100% sure.

~ I see that Tard posted the same advice while I was typing my post.~

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

I know my '58 Slingerland snare needed the Aquarian American Vintage heads (not Modern Vintage), because the shell is just a bit bigger. A previous owner even cut off some of the wrap to try to make newer heads fit. It's a real shame. Do some measurements of the shell. Modern drums are usually slightly undersized by about 1/8" or so. Older drums are closer to what you imagine - 14" is a 14", and usually need different heads.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Because of the year that those drums were made that kit may qualify for vintage style heads that have a slightly larger hoop.
Standard heads may not fit well and be too tight on those shells.
Yeah I didn't realise, but I'd say you are correct.