DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Default Silicone Electronic Pads

I am a drummer looking to purchase an electro kit, possibly a yamaha. But there are 2 main different surfaces, rubber and silicone. I was wondering about what the benifits are about the silicone head, and is it worth the extra cash.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Silicone Electronic Pads

Basically rubber pads are the standard low-end pad, and the silicone ones are meant to be yamaha's pioneering higher end pad to rival the roland mesh head.

Personally I prefer the silicone as it has bounce that is much closer to real drums then rubber.

But with all things to do with drums, you really need to go and try them both out! Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM

Rubber doesn't feel that great, but gets the job done. Silicone feels better, but Yamaha hasn't yet perfected the tensionable electronic head like Roland has with their mesh heads. If you are going with Yamaha I would spent the money on the silicone. If I had a choice between silicone and mesh .. I personally prefer mesh.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Page Dude View Post
Rubber doesn't feel that great, but gets the job done. Silicone feels better, but Yamaha hasn't yet perfected the tensionable electronic head like Roland has with their mesh heads. If you are going with Yamaha I would spent the money on the silicone. If I had a choice between silicone and mesh .. I personally prefer mesh.
The reason Yamaha does not offer a mesh head, is perhaps due to not having the patent for it. However the new textured silicone pads are really great. I personally much prefer them to mesh heads. The less expensive rubber pads are fine for toms. Don't judge them on experience with rubber pads of other makes. Yamaha rubber pads play very nicely and are not noisy or hard.

I would second the advice that any buyer should visit a store and try Yamaha and Roland and whatever else is there and compare them directly.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
I was wondering about what the benifits are about the silicone head, and is it worth the extra cash.
Some of the benefits of the TCS (silicone) pad over rubber include:
  • The silicone pads are quieter than rubber...actually they're quieter than mesh as well...
  • Because of the way the silicone pads are developed and produced, the pads can have a different feel and response based on which pad it is..in other words, the snare has a slightly tighter feel and stick response than the toms...similar in feel and response to real drums
  • the silicone pads are easier on the hands and wrists than the rubber pads
  • Silicone pads are less bouncy than mesh head pads... Some drummers don't like mesh head pads because of this...

If you are looking at Yamaha e-kits I would certainly consider the silicone pads...I think in the long run you'll be happier with these pads (compared to the rubber pads)...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 10-25-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Thank you guys! I am going to Pro Percussion next weekend and will try out both silicone and rubber pads, and the Roland mesh one's. I have been playing acoustic drums for the last 2 years and thought it would be a nice change.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM

I've got the same DTX535K kit as thebarak and I have to say that even though the silicone snare is phenomenal, it doesnt really make sense to me to spend the extra almost $1K just to have the same size silicone toms as the rubber toms. The rubber toms do fantastic. Now, if they offered the 8 inch silicone toms at a reasonable price, I would seriously consider the upgrade. But the rubber toms do fantastic.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I've got the same DTX535K kit as thebarak and I have to say that even though the silicone snare is phenomenal, it doesnt really make sense to me to spend the extra almost $1K just to have the same size silicone toms as the rubber toms. The rubber toms do fantastic. Now, if they offered the 8 inch silicone toms at a reasonable price, I would seriously consider the upgrade. But the rubber toms do fantastic.
That's my opinion too, and personally I don't like the silicone but you have to decide for yourself. Nothing you buy will feel 'real' so if you're happy with rubber you'll save a bundle.

A dtx with an add on hi hat stand and top end kick pad would prob be my choice. I bought a 2box, take a look at them.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 PM

The rubber pads are definitely "harder" than the silicone pads. You will feel it in your hands and wrists.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

The DTX Silicone pads are dope.
They play really well and feel close to a regular head. The DTX snare pads even have denser silicone than the toms to emulate a tighter tunes snare head.