DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Hate drum solos

When I was young, in the 1970s, I loved drum solos. I was also a big fan of drum corps, and still am. This would end up being a predictor of where I'd end up as an adult.

Sometimes a drum solo would be awesome. Other times, not so much, such as when Motley Crue was a new band, and Tommy Lee was in his spinning cage.

When I got older and had to work to pay rent, I found my rehearsal time to be limited. I had to make decisions on what I should do with my time. Do I really want to be a soloist, or do I want to be a valuable member to a band? I chose the latter, and spent my time working on things that would help me to achieve my goal.

From the mid-80s to the mid-90s, I had pretty much forgotten about drum solos, until I heard Terry Bozzio's "Melodic Drumming and the Ostinato." For me, this approach was a class unto itself, somewhere between the rock drum solo and the drum corps, but with that something extra.

Today, I still love drum corps, and also like what people like Terry Bozzio are doing with regard to drum soloing. As for me, I chose to not focus on that talent. If the solo is part of the song, such as the ending of "Rock and Roll," then that's fine.

But my goal is similar to that of Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez. That is, I'm there to be a part of something bigger, and I'm there to make the other instruments sound good. If done right, this makes me sound better.

I find that I can appreciate a drummer, not because of their soloing abilities or chops, but because of what they do within the context of their setting.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Actually, Ringo did play a solo on The End.
Yes, but he did not like to play solos at all, that's why I included him in the List. Moon also played a solo a few times but he hated them. Porcaro said that he had never played a solo in all his life and did not like to play them. Just not his type of music.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

You know.. i was just watching a video and thinking.. i don't hate ALL solos.. just the bad over indulgent ones. Gaving Harrison was on lettermans drum week and that performance is what made me finally buy some drums.. So i think it comes down to like anything else in life... Something done with taste and tact can be enjoyable whereas the same thing done badly of course will leave a bad taste..
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Well, I do not hate drum solos per se, but I just don't like to play them myself. I don't want to be in the "spotlight" more than necessary and always fear that I might end up doing something silly if I play a solo (did not happen yet when I had to play small solos as part of the songs *knock on wood*). Also, I do not think that my skills are good enough for "showing off". (Some people tend to disagree though... they are so wrong. I am mediocre at best.)

Some drummers are keen on solos because of their ego, some because they want to show off their skills, some because they want to "tell a story". Not me. I like to add a groove, keep the time, add some salt to a composition. That's all I focus on. I love it when a song evolves, when I can lay a foundation for the other instruments and guide all musicians through a song. A good song-performance is for me more rewarding than five minutes of "solo-stardom". Some musicians stated that I am a "total bandplayer, a guy who always prefers to stay in the background". They like that approach - me, too. ;-)

Also, I do not like to watch many solos because I do not think that many drummers include enough musical ideas in their solo-drumming. I do love Joe Morellos solos. They are masterpieces, combining skill, a story to tell and a high degree of musicality and diversity. I do enjoy Antonio Sanchez solos. A Gadd solo is also quite entertaining. Steve Jordan, yeah, cool. Adam Deitch - just awesome, Daniel Glass - very nice. But drumsolos like the ones played by Carmine Appice, Carl Palmer, Terry Bozzio, Tommy Aldridge, Manu Katché, Tony Royster, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Jack DeJohnette and the like ... they just don't impress me at all. They make me want to push the "forward" button.

Oh, Charlie Watts has never played a solo, right?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

I hate drum solos, although I have heard a couple that actually seemed worthwhile (Joe Morello's solos have a musicality because of his dense texturing that makes them seem less like drum solos and more like ... music solos). In general I consider them almost as annoying as bass solos ... I respect good bass players and all that, but it's just not an instrument I want to hear soloing.

But I will say that I love trading fours or twos. Those are kind of mini-solos, but they're more playful and interactive. If you're not lost in panic (as I frequently am) you can listen to what the guitarist/bassist/pianist/hornguy plays and respond or echo it in your own playing, then they do the same, and you get a fun conversation going.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:59 AM

Well, I enjoy drum solos - good ones anyway.

I assume most Drummerworld members are drummers.

I'm baffled as to how anyone who drums can 'HATE' the endless possibilities of self-expression, technicality, musicality, sheer excitement, and sound, a well-played solo on the instrument they profess to play can provide.

There's also a near century-old tradition of drum solos to preserve. Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Benny Greb and a thousand others anyone?

Surely there's got to be more to drums than just playing 2 and 4...
Old 04-26-2017, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

I like solos, but I prefer the ones that stay in time and are briefer (16/32 bars) rather than out of time that last like 10 minutes or so.

With that being said, I do love Toad.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
I find them boring to listen to, and am pretty convinced that your average audience does also
...and I thought I was the only one...
Old 04-26-2017, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
...and I thought I was the only one...
Nope, feel the same way. Love my brother drummers, but solo's.... nope.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post

I'm baffled as to how anyone who drums can 'HATE' the endless possibilities of self-expression, technicality, musicality, sheer excitement, and sound, a well-played solo on the instrument they profess to play can provide.

There's also a near century-old tradition of drum solos to preserve. Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Benny Greb and a thousand others anyone?

Flour can be used as an ingredient to make some great things. I still wouldn't eat it raw :-)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Audiences always love drum solos. As long as they stay in tempo with the song and they are not too long. The solo should be in context with the song. I Also like these kinds of drum solos. I don't like the long out of song tempo drum solos. They sound like the drummer is just showing off his/her chops. You know like some guitar players do.

I once did a drum solo during a slow blues song. It was very out of the ordinary. But it fit the mood and feeling of the song and the audience and other band members loved it.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

Obviously no Cubans here, Giovanni and Horacio make the other musos's seem irrelevant to me! It's just traveling in time..
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM
JohnoWorld

I reckon it comes with age.

When i was 18, I played in a band with an ex-member from Spacemen 3 and we did cover of SOS (no not that one). I played 3 drum solos in that song, 1 in time with the groove, then 2 as we break into a wall of noise.

Having dislocated my shoulder for the umpteenth time that afternoon playing Rugby, I knew my rugby career was over. In intense pain, I just necked some pain killers and a couple of bags of speed.

So I just went absolutely mental, taking all my aggression, disappointment, sadness and anger out on my drums.

I really couldn't have given 2 shites whether the audience was enjoying it, it was all in a massive wall of noise and feedback and I was shouting and screaming whilst doing it.

We recorded it though and it sounded epic :-)

Never solo'd since, I'm just not good enough but I do really like them. As long as it's not just some kid showing off. I much prefer angry drug fuelled destruction :-)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Never been much of a fan of solos either-long rock one especially. However with age and acquiring a taste for jazz I've seen some great solos. But I still don't like if they are too long.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Obviously no Cubans here, Giovanni and Horacio make the other musos's seem irrelevant to me! It's just traveling in time..
Agreed, when the solo is as musical as these guys can make it, they become songs on their own.

I do find that solos as part of a song (couple of bars break) can add to a song.

But a chop fest for the sake of a chop fest no thanks.

I find drum solos are a great time to go purchase beverages or evacuate them.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure how to make the distinction, but drums played as the lead instrument are different to a drum solo. There are guitarists who spend their whole lives playing "rhythm guitar" and never solo so it's not unusual not to want to play solos.
It can be exciting seeing a great drummer going for it for a short period of time, but even as a drummer and therefore someone who you'd think would be into pyrotechnics I'm really not a fan of drum solos.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

I love drum solos.

I don't care if it's Gospel chops, or Jazz noodling, or metal banging.

They all are fun to watch no matter what the skill level. It's just much more awesome when it's somebody who has the goods.

For all those wanker bands in clubs, if it was only a bunch of drummers instead of the everyday pap up there on stage, I would be happy as sh**.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Solos are about making a statement that fits in the context. Why would drums be any different.

Albeit sometimes "showing off" is the right thing to do.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Nope, feel the same way. Love my brother drummers, but solo's.... nope.
Likewise, don't like playing them playing them (in fact refuse to) and don't enjoy listening to them either. Fortunately none of the bands I've ever played in require or would suit a drum solo so it's not an issue.

Horses for courses and all that, if people like doing them then that's fine, I just don't and never have!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
I like solos, but I prefer the ones that stay in time and are briefer (16/32 bars) rather than out of time that last like 10 minutes or so.

With that being said, I do love Toad.
Me too, all versions!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post

There is way,way,way,way more to drumming than 2 and 4, but as far as I am concerned a solo is not one of them. Hate to have to listen to one, and will never play one. If you cant get all your drumming feel, invention and excitement out whilst playing for the song then you are missing something important.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

I think drum solos are like any other solo. I like the good ones and hate the bad ones. I enjoy doing them but I try to do the whole Gene Krupa thing in that people should be able to dance through the whole thing.It all depends on context of course.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Kinda surprised Bermuda didn't reply, since he of course is the author of the most amazing (and literal) drum solo of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86sTcmbvGSg
Old 05-06-2017, 12:34 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7xpQlmepo

You just have to look at the drums for the instrument they are. Drums aren't used for melody, they're used for rhythm and grooves, so you have to base your solo around that idea. Keeping a pulse going is usually your best bet, but once you start thinking outside of the box and think musically then you'll be able to make really great solos that people want to hear. If a song is driving aggressive and fast then do a solo like that, if a song is relaxed and laid back then do a solo like that. And always play into your strengths, if you can play fast or if you can roll really well or if you have certain fills that you can pull off well then go for that. It also just takes a LOT of practice.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Listen to some Morello drum journey's or perhaps one of his students Jerry Granelli for inspiration.

Morello on C Jam Blues (Newport 1958, Paul Desmond quartet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdK85D2WbM

Jerry Granelli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFSRJFKQx6E

Both do a fine job of soloing. Both are contextually Jazzers. Maybe there's a connection. With rock drumming, I think (me personally, with an inference on "I") a lot comes from the African rhythm's, Ginger especially. I enjoy the African influence in a Rock context. But, I also enjoy many other roots to modern drumming.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

There are some solos that have such musical ideas and phrasing that I enjoy listening to them. Here's two for example:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...rumsolo16.html
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...icalsolo1.html
Old 05-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Moby Dick is one of the worst "songs" in history.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I dislike doing solos all by myself. I simply don't have the goods to deliver an engaging solo. I do however love trading 4's or 8's. I do feel I have the goods if there is underlying musical structure that I can dance on top of. When I have to do the underlying structure and solo on top of that, I can't do that to my satisfaction, not even close. I've conditioned myself to not go out of time, and as a result, I'm uncomfortable with the time stopping, even though it would be much, much easier on me. It's like I won't allow it because it's like "giving up". I want to be able to play both "parts" at once.

In my mind, if I can't do a solo that's all in time, then I don't feel I'm a person who should solo. I believe it's fairly easy for me to do a solo that doesn't have to maintain a time thread. It's playing the 2 parts at once, rhythmic grounding with a solo thing riding on top of that, that's where my wheels come off. I feel naked and alone when I solo, which pisses me off because I support everyone all night long, but when I could use some support, even just a chaka chaka on muted strings...anything to pick up the underlying time thread and relieve me of that part of the equation. But it seems like they couldn't care less that I'm twisting in the wind. I don't have the musical signposts...in the form of chords I hear...when I solo. Yea they're supposed to be in my head, but the audience isn't keeping the song form in their mind. So even if I keep the form in my head, they aren't hearing it, and it makes it a real uphill battle for me.

When I do solo, it's usually the last song we play. So usually I feel I did pretty good doing my job prior to that. But when I have to end the night with my weakest link...let's just say I wish the solo was in the middle of the set. There's always something to improve, but like I said to my bandleader, if I never had to solo again, I would be perfectly happy. At the same time, when called to do a solo, I would like to be able to deliver the goods. I don't feel I can yet. It will be a happy day for me personally if I ever reach that point.

I'd like to be able to solo as well as Jimmy K, a member here. Love his solo work.