DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Default Hate drum solos

I got the pleasure of playing with a blues brother tribute group on saturday, so much fun watching those guys! Well anyway, they called a drumsolo and my excitment dropped... to me unless there is section hits or a groove to solo over its just HEY LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO. I mostly just provided a funky groove and did more notey fills and over the barline stuff, with a little shred at the end.

Anyone else dread showing off, or am I crazy?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Hate drum solos

the key is to not think of it as "showing off" and to think of it as a piece of music with with melody , purpose , dynamic peaks and valleys

nothing more boring to me than a guy haphazardly throwing chops around

and nothing I love more than this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsKq3HD0EFc

that being said.....I usually hate doing them :)

much prefer a trading 4s situation
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Thats what i tried to do, sing the previous melody and jam over it, great vid!! joe is so tasty
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerjunkie04 View Post
Thats what i tried to do, sing the previous melody and jam over it, great vid!! joe is so tasty
you did the right thing brother ....its tough to have something called when you don't expect it

did you not expect it?

that can be awkward and uncomfortable in certain situations for sure
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
you did the right thing brother ....its tough to have something called when you don't expect it

did you not expect it?

that can be awkward and uncomfortable in certain situations for sure
Nope! Just groovin and "elwood" looks over and says "mike on drums ladies and gents go!"
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM

I am a fairly new drummer and I also do not like drum solos. But i have learnt that less is more. It is better to play an intressing groove with some simple but effective fills than to try to play something really flashy without having a basic idea on where the solo is going. Recently, I was asked to perform a solo, and i ended up playing a simple beat with some nice touches, and my teacher said it sounded nice. But overall, if you are not confident with solo-ing or dont like it, then simplicity is best.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

The question is whether or not the audience wants to hear a drum solo......
Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 AM
jackie k
This message has been deleted by jackie k.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 AM

We all have opinions on the drum solo/ no drum solo-thing.... Crafting...melodic, etc, etc. I grew up playing them. i like doing them, but for me, its about selling what you've got to solo "with" to the audience. Draw them in with what you can do (no matter who your solo influences are), and sell it! Me personally, I 've spent years in the past doing the 10 to 15 minute B.R., Bonham, Baker, Bellson, solos, and now, I think, even if you've got great chops and ideas, 5 min's is tops. State your stuff, wow the audience and move on. Leave them wanting more. The drum solo can be a great highlight to the musical evening, but if you're in a band where the band is there to provide music for the dancers, your solo may or may not be welcome. Read the audience that's in front of you. Would they appreciate it? If the floor is packed with dancers and you solo, can they keep dancing or are you just driving them off the dance floor?... Or.... has your audience come to listen and enjoy your music? You're better off doing a solo under those circumstances.... Me personally, when i see/hear a drum solo, i like lot's of technique and ability that demonstrates a master at work on his (her) instrument. Not really into the "showmanship" per se. I really like playing for other drummers, don't you? You can't get away with anything in front of other drummers.

Ok.....
Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
the key is to not think of it as "showing off" and to think of it as a piece of music with with melody , purpose , dynamic peaks and valleys

nothing more boring to me than a guy haphazardly throwing chops around

that being said.....I usually hate doing them :)

much prefer a trading 4s situation
1:50! Holy shit (left hand).... going to practice...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 AM

I din't like playing solos because I'm not very good at it.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
That brought a smile to my face and made my morning! If only all drums solos were as musical!

To the OP, there were plenty of jazz drummers who shunned solos. Off the top of my head, Sonny Greer, Al Heath and Al Harewood. All of them could swing like mothers though, and they had chops...just what you feel comfortable with I suppose.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
The question is whether or not the audience wants to hear a drum solo......
Everyone needs a toilet break.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

I don't like doing drum solos either (or watching them, for that matter), so I generally do the same thing: Build a little groove, do some fills that sound impressive to non-drummers and then lead into the song (or whatever comes next). That way I give the audience a pulse to latch on to along with a little bit of flash, and I think that's all a normal crowd really wants to hear from a drum solo.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

I find them boring to listen to, and am pretty convinced that your average audience does also (after the first 10 seconds or so) and very difficult to play.
So I admire people who can pull one off, but have no desire to do one myself.
Nor does the band we're in really work for drum solos.
There's one or two song beginnings/endings which seem suspiciously drum-soloish but they're usually nipped in the bud before I get giddy
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM

I enjoy doing solos because it gives me the opportunity to express myself musical. However, the key word there is "musically". A drum solo should never just be throwing chops around haphazardly. In my band, our lead singer introduces the band on the song "Mustang Sally", and they have me solo in it. At first I was like "how do I solo over Mustang Sally" but basically all I do is play the same groove, add a little more syncopation like moving the backbeats around to the "ands" of 2&4 spiratically, at one point I go to double time for a few bars to throw is some faster flashier chops, but always I'm trying to think "melodically" and "musically" and I keep with the original 24 bar blues form of the song. Drum solos are great as long as they are musical. That's what everything we do boils down to. I doesn't matter how much chops you got, if you don't know how to play for the song, and lay down a groove and pocket that makes people feel good, then your failing, and that applies whether you're soloing OR playing in a band equally.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesporter View Post
I enjoy doing solos because it gives me the opportunity to express myself musical. However, the key word there is "musically". A drum solo should never just be throwing chops around haphazardly. In my band, our lead singer introduces the band on the song "Mustang Sally", and they have me solo in it. At first I was like "how do I solo over Mustang Sally" but basically all I do is play the same groove, add a little more syncopation like moving the backbeats around to the "ands" of 2&4 spiratically, at one point I go to double time for a few bars to throw is some faster flashier chops, but always I'm trying to think "melodically" and "musically" and I keep with the original 24 bar blues form of the song. Drum solos are great as long as they are musical. That's what everything we do boils down to. I doesn't matter how much chops you got, if you don't know how to play for the song, and lay down a groove and pocket that makes people feel good, then your failing, and that applies whether you're soloing OR playing in a band equally.
You are a better man than I am. Mustang Sally AND a solo! That would pretty much be my definition of drummer hell.

Good for you pulling of a nice musical solo there. I tip my hat to you, sir.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Anthony Amodeo

if I had to choose between playing Mustang Sally or a swift kick in the nuts ......you would have to give me a minute to decide.

and I would most likely brace myself for the kick
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birks10 View Post
We all have opinions on the drum solo/ no drum solo-thing.... Crafting...melodic, etc, etc. I grew up playing them. i like doing them, but for me, its about selling what you've got to solo "with" to the audience. Draw them in with what you can do (no matter who your solo influences are), and sell it! Me personally, I 've spent years in the past doing the 10 to 15 minute B.R., Bonham, Baker, Bellson, solos, and now, I think, even if you've got great chops and ideas, 5 min's is tops. State your stuff, wow the audience and move on. Leave them wanting more. The drum solo can be a great highlight to the musical evening, but if you're in a band where the band is there to provide music for the dancers, your solo may or may not be welcome. Read the audience that's in front of you. Would they appreciate it? If the floor is packed with dancers and you solo, can they keep dancing or are you just driving them off the dance floor?... Or.... has your audience come to listen and enjoy your music? You're better off doing a solo under those circumstances.... Me personally, when i see/hear a drum solo, i like lot's of technique and ability that demonstrates a master at work on his (her) instrument. Not really into the "showmanship" per se. I really like playing for other drummers, don't you? You can't get away with anything in front of other drummers.

Ok.....

I agree with most of your points about drum solos. Something short and sweet leaving them wanting for more. When done well, a drum solo can be very well recieved if played in front of the right audience and event. If the gig is a top 40's dance gig, a solo probably isn't warranted but in front of an audience that is there to hear the band musically, then a solo may be more welcomed. I notice that most drummers that aren't technically inclined or lack the solo chops generally say "I don't like solos". Granted there are some of those few that even though they posess the technicality may still not like perfroming or listening to a solo but I have come to find in my many years of playing that those that can perform a drum solo well really like playing them. Heck, I've even seen some drummers that really have no business doing a solo playing them. Perhaps it's those types that turn off the listeners to solos. I also like the response some have said "If they are musical". What is that? If they don't carry a groove or a structured beat previously provided, or done within the context of a song they're not musical? I've seen solos performed by Rich, Calaiuta, Weckl, Greb, Paice, Bonham and countless others that weren't in the structure of a song and were more free form and highly technical that were very "musical". Try telling those guys that their solo wasn't musical. One must remember that the drums are a rhythm instrument and doesn't carry the melodic tones of guitars, horns or string instruments but drum solos can be considered very musical regardless of the context if perfromed with proficiency and taste.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobacwrd View Post
One must remember that the drums are a rhythm instrument and doesn't carry the melodic tones of guitars, horns or string instruments .
tell that to Ari Hoenig ....I don't think he believes that for one second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4UJQbGUH8&t=0m38s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDITFrf0PLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHNmg5I38Y&t=2m31s
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

While initially I didn't care for solos, I realized that they are a necessary skill, and I have to be able to step up. I feel very naked up there, there's no support like we provide for the others, but I have made some progress. Maintaining the time is #1 (assuming the solo is not an "out of time" solo, I don't do these). I also found that I need to start out soft, with lotsa space, so I can build it. As long as the time feel marches on, space works great, with the added bonus that it gives you more time to think of stuff. The longer it takes for me to build my solo, the better it seems to work in my world. Then after I build it, I am looking for the exit. Get in, get out, nobody gets hurt.

I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but little by little, I am defining the parts, the beginning middle and end. I feel I have a handle on the beginnings at this point, because it's easy to hold back and use space. It's an evolutionary thing, the more I do, the more relaxed I am, the easier the ideas happen, and the better I get. The more I understand that I don't have to impress anyone, the easier my solos flow out. Instead of trying to do a great solo, I try and do a passable one, and it works out better for me with less expectations. Sometimes I will have a really great start, and then one not so great idea will take the solo in a direction I would have rather avoided. I don't think I ever did one solo that I was proud of yet.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM

i definitely love/hate doing solos. unfortunately, all the bands i play in demand/ require a solo. when i was young and arrogant, i loved soloing. i couldn't wait. i've gotten so i'm comfortable doing jazz solos again, up to and including soloing over the whole form, but this ska/punk/metal band i'm in needs (demands) a blazing, chops heavy solo, as long as i can, as they all clear the stage for at least 5 minutes, sometimes longer. also unfortunately, if i'm not in just the right mood, on fire and inspired, i stink. i absolutely HATE them. i get really, really nervous sometimes, because of the perceived expectations i feel (in reality, i'm sure the audience couldn't care less- they just want to hear cowbell) which absolutely wrecks the continuity of the solo. i over think, and get bogged down with all kinds of technical exercises that the audience does NOT want to hear. as soon as i go to the floor toms, they go crazy. hit a cymbal? mayhem. lay into the cowbell? imbroglio!! eventually i may play a solo i'm completely happy with (i've done one so far- it was ~1994 or so).
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzmann's brain View Post
i definitely love/hate doing solos. unfortunately, all the bands i play in demand/ require a solo. when i was young and arrogant, i loved soloing. i couldn't wait. i've gotten so i'm comfortable doing jazz solos again, up to and including soloing over the whole form, but this ska/punk/metal band i'm in needs (demands) a blazing, chops heavy solo, as long as i can, as they all clear the stage for at least 5 minutes, sometimes longer. also unfortunately, if i'm not in just the right mood, on fire and inspired, i stink. i absolutely HATE them. i get really, really nervous sometimes, because of the perceived expectations i feel (in reality, i'm sure the audience couldn't care less- they just want to hear cowbell) which absolutely wrecks the continuity of the solo. i over think, and get bogged down with all kinds of technical exercises that the audience does NOT want to hear. as soon as i go to the floor toms, they go crazy. hit a cymbal? mayhem. lay into the cowbell? imbroglio!! eventually i may play a solo i'm completely happy with (i've done one so far- it was ~1994 or so).
Yes I find that as far as drum soloing it really doesn't take much to impress the average club crowd. Throw some cowbell in there, some Bonham triplets, lots of floor tom, cross stick crashes and they're impressed. They don't realize that what your doing really isn't that complicated lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Hate drum solo's, almost as much as the bass solo.

I express myself, musically, during the songs.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thats when you kick off your sequenced recordings and give the audience the best song of the night, isn't it?(singing and all...)

...I mean...none of the bozos who would spring an unplanned solo request on you are in the way....

Everytime I sit down to design a solo I end up writing a song....
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Funny thread. I admit it- I hate drum solos too.

The only ones I ever found listenable are Gary Husband on The Un-Merry-Go-Round: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_fiKl_5oFk. It is about the 2:10 mark. Not a big fan of Alan Holdsworth, but man I like Gary's playing on this song.

Also, Elvin on A Love Supreme part III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkMFLhcKJg. Short, sweet and lyrical.

And I guess this crazy 19 year old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_pDjX65vHo. At about 2:40. Nothing fancy, but man it gets me pumped to play.

Wonder if there is a thread on favorite solos?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Great thread!

I prefer musical expression over a chops-fest (although they can be impressive too!). It always come down to intent I guess ... does the drummer just want to show off their skill or are they trying to express something musically?

I really love bass/drum solos! I have also seen Gadd also do some really cool a capella over a tasty brush pattern. Now that is a solo!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

I love drum solos. I don't care for topless drummers or drummers in shorts. (Yes, this goes for both sexes...!!)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerjunkie04 View Post
I got the pleasure of playing with a blues brother tribute group on saturday, so much fun watching those guys! Well anyway, they called a drumsolo and my excitment dropped... to me unless there is section hits or a groove to solo over its just HEY LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO. I mostly just provided a funky groove and did more notey fills and over the barline stuff, with a little shred at the end.

Anyone else dread showing off, or am I crazy?
There's drum solo and drum solo, provided it's musical, within a context and executed with feel and emotion, it can be wonderful...

... the "chops" solo at 200 bpm is extremely boring and never ever suited to any kind of music or context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfuse View Post
Everyone needs a toilet break.
... or a cigarette break :)

I've just return from the London Drum Show, drummers were allowed to play the kits on display for 15 minutes every hour from 10:00 am 'til 6:00 pm... Try to imagine 500+ drummers doing a soloing filled with "gospel" chops, at full speed, at full power and at different tempos, I love drums... but, it was fag time every time.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I love drum solos. I don't care for topless drummers or drummers in shorts. (Yes, this goes for both sexes...!!)
I can see one or the other. Even both. But niether?????!!! Sad. :-)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

I do not like paying drum solos although I can. I do not like to hear any accept in jazz and RUSH. Peace and goodwill.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM

I hate doing solo's and to be honest it is because my skills are not at a level that I feel they should be to do a solo. I am a pocket drummer, when it comes to locking in a groove or tempo I am your man, when it comes to showing off I get very nervous and my mind goes blank because all eyes are on me. Just my two cents of being transparent but I am gaing more gigs because of my solid pocket which is forcing me to have to solo from time to time
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

I'm prone to politely declining a solo too. There's been a few exceptions....in life there always is. But as a general rule I've always been happy to leave them to guitarists.

Love watching a good one though. Surprised by the amount of guys here who don't like watching a good drummer strut his stuff. Sure the laborious 25 minute solo of the 70's is overkill and has quite rightly seen its day. But I'm more than happy to watch anyone who has good command over the instrument show us just what they're capable of.

And from what I've always seen, so is the crowd....... it doesn't need the virtuosity of Buddy to please them either. Even a simple unaccompanied groove seems to get the crowd excited by the power of rhythm. Just check youtube for the roar when when Steve Jordan lays down the funk.....or Simon Phillips plays the Rosanna shuffle......or Gadd goes to the cowbell......or Joey Jordison does a simple roll between feet and toms. I dunno, I must be going to different gigs than you guys.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
if I had to choose between playing Mustang Sally or a swift kick in the nuts ......you would have to give me a minute to decide.
He he that cracked me up.... im not a fan generally of Drum Solos ....Ive seen Brian Bennets big B & little B err I like Brian as a drummer and from a technical view liked it...but not sure in an audience I would be over the moon.

Perhaps drum Solos are like test cricket.... you appreciate them more once you know how hard it is.

One of my favourite solos is from one of my fave drummers...Rob Hirst in "power and the Passion" (including playing the now famous raimwater tank)

skip to 2.45 if you dont want to see the whole song... and the crowd did like it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXpTP...eature=related
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Nowt wrong with shorts. Don't know about you but I put a lot into a gig and I sweat. I sweat less wearing shorts, not surprisingly, and most of the audience cant see what I am wearing below the waist anyway.

I now live and play in the South of France and wear shorts 10 months of the year and If anyone thinks I am going to change into a pair of 501s to drum they are sadly deluded.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
You are a better man than I am. Mustang Sally AND a solo! That would pretty much be my definition of drummer hell.
LOL, agreed.

Quote:

and I would most likely brace myself for the kick
Hahah!

I've never been asked to do a solo. Not in bar bands, not in original bands, not even in prog bands. It's never come up.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Resurrecting an old thread. :-)

Many people don't like to play solos. Great, I am in good company then. :-D

I wonder though however how many popular drummers were out there that really disliked and/or never ever played a solo on drums.

Jeff Procaro comes to my mind, as well as
Ringo Starr and
Keith Moon ("Drum-Solos are boring").
They all tried to evade drum solos if possible.
Mike Botts and Phil Rudd and Philthy Animal Taylor also never played a solo afaik.

Are there more drummers that could be added to the list?

Last edited by Wave Deckel; 04-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:48 PM

I agree with Inneedofgrace-sometimes the audience wants a solo and check out the 3 women in the backround of the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsKq3HD0EFc). They're certainly enjoying Morello's efforts!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Resurrecting an old thread. :-)

Many people don't like to play solos. Great, I am in good company then. :-D

I wonder though however how many popular drummers were out there that really disliked and/or never ever played a solo on drums.

Jeff Procaro comes to my mind, as well as
Ringo Starr and
Keith Moon ("Drum-Solos are boring").
They all tried to evade drum solos if possible.
Mike Botts and Phil Rudd and Philthy Animal Taylor also never played a solo afaik.

Are there more drummers that could be added to the list?

Actually, Ringo did play a solo on The End.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

I am not a fan of solos at all.. at least long boring, the rest of the band leaves the stage kind of stuff... My favorite solo is by Me first and the gimme gimme's.. which is literally like snare kick snare kick... it's their "Phil Rudd" solo..
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Actually, Ringo did play a solo on The End.
Actually the opening drum riff from Roseanna could be considered a solo.
So strike Porcaro.