DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Default How long should I play drums a day?

If I want to be an amazing drummer, Id say i'm already pretty good but how long would you suggest playing a day if you want to be a top drummer in your area?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: How long should I play drums a day?

If you want to become as good as you can you need to not only play but diligently practice
(with specific goals in mind) as much as you can. The other question about "in your area"....well that depends, I mean if you live in Manhattan NYC you may never get there but
if you live in the boondocks and there is only one other drummer within 100 miles...you might
already be the best. Keep the goal as becoming the very best drummer and musician that
you can become and do everything you can to achieve that goal. Have Fun!

btw, I envy where you live...BC wow! Talk about scenery!!!!!!

Last edited by groove1; 10-06-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: sentence
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM

[quote=groove1;1054145]

Yeah, thanks man, I notice that if i'm just jamming out, I do the same fills/beats over and over again I totally get what your saying by practicing with goals in mind, I need to like get a specific challenging fill/beat accomplished every week I think.

I'm a youth drummer (16 years old) so offcourse I woudn't be as good as the adult drummers but while i'm a youth i'd like to be one of the best!
And yup BC is very nice! :)
Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

wow..almost in real time! If you are in a band that jams or plays out some...try to learn things that make what you are playing the best you can come up with for each song then
expand on that along with other stuff you can practice.

When I was your age we all tried to play fast and faster, a lot. Full of energy, you know....now I'm in my 60's and can't play that fast like when I was your age but I try to play much
more tastefully than I did when I was young. If I could change one thing about how I played when I was in my teens it would be to try and be a bit more tasteful and less flashy when
rocking out....use the flash and speed more appropriately to fit the music better. That's just me though.

Last edited by groove1; 10-06-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sentence
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
wow..almost in real time! If you are in a band that jams or plays out some...try to learn things that make what you are playing the best you can come up with for each song then
expand on that along with other stuff you can practice.
Well I notice over the few weeks, when I reherse with my band, I do start implementing new fills, improving tempo, and tight-ning up certain beats, but that's over time i'd like to speed up the process, i'm gonna get really into the rudiments, I do some but theres many I should try to perfect!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM

personally I play for an hour then have a 30 minute break then play another hour every day and when I'm not playing I'm listening to whatever I play on the drums and study it by just listening to the drums and then I can learn songs very quickly
Now I can play nearly every song by;.system of a down, lamb of God, slipknot, metallica, korn and a bunch of other bands that I can't even be bothered to write down cost there's so many:-D
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Also try lots of different styles and fills, rudiments.etc
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Ref the rudiments...I'm not that good at all of them by any stretch but I get a lot of use
from long rolls, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 stroke rolls, single stroke rolls, and various paradiddles.
I used to practice (in slow motion) different ways of sticking when going from drum to drum about the kit. RRL, LRR, RLR, LRL etc and of course those paradiddles. Practicing things
you want to do fast .... learn by practicing them slowly at first and gradually speed them up.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Quantity comes onto play when were talkin world class levels, but it still needs to be good, well planned, focused and goal oriented practice. Take it slow, focus on details, quality, groove and comfort.

Singing, doing really slow linear and New Breed type stuff both with and without a click comes to mind.

Record yourself.

Work on your sound and dynamic control.

Write quick charts

Work on how to build a song.

You offcourse need to do a bit of technique and conditioning practice, but going nuts with anything else, though needed at an advanced level, is way down on the list compared to this other stuff.

This means you could easily spend the whole day on something related to drum practice including all the stuff to find new inspiration.

Though, if we're talking about songthing isolated like e.g. building endurance and speed on double bass drums there's an obvious limit to how long one could do focused high intensity exercise in that regard.

Short focused bursts are great. There's a different limit with each of us to how long we could stay totally focused on a task. It's usually somewhere between 15 to 45 mins. Part of practicing is to increase that time.

You just have to analyse and see what works for you on a regular basis. Regular being the important thing here. Marathon practicing isn't very constructive unless that marathan lasts an entire vacation or something. Make a plan and spend a few minutes at the end of each day commenting, analysing and refining it.

This being said, a day off here and there is important.

Also learn to practice without your instrument or even just in your mind. Good alternative to counting sheep. :-)
Old 10-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Most of the top guys talk about 8-10 hours a day.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM

25-26 hours. A day....
Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

It's not so much how long you should play in a day, it's what to "play" and "how" to play it. It's also how much can you take and still remain focused, concentrated and productive, maybe 10 hours is too much and you'll achieve more in 4 hours, many factors will depend on "how long and how much" should you play/practice.

You want to be an amazing drummer, fine, it's good to have a vision, but to be an amazing drummer in many styles takes a lot of work, knowledge of music, being and sounding authentic whatever style you play (rock, pop, jazz, funk, reggae, hip hop, metal, prog rock, etc.)

Have you got a teacher? he/she be able to guide you as far as learning and practicing is concerned, with a proven method that has shown results with students who really want to learn.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I recommend no more than 24 hours in one day!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM

As long as you practice for an hour or so a day your going to get better without even noticing. I find that when i sit down at my set and focus on a couple of songs to play along with and learn, i end up playing for hours without even noticing. Learning a variety of different bands music really helps when it comes to jamming with other people...will have a lot more fills and ideas floating around in your head naturally from playing different styles of music when you practice by yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM

Until the neighbours come round!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkenyon View Post
Until the neighbours come round!
Haha right, sometimes i gotta remind myself i can't play at midnight
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Just enjoy your playing and dont sweat this "top, amazing drummer" thing, that is subjective anyway.

Play what you love and enjoy playing/practicing. When you are not enjoying it, or forcing yourself to practice, that is the time to stop.

Also, have other things in your life, find a balance. There are lots and lots of amazing drummers, sitting in there practice spaces 12 hours a day, that no one has ever heard of and probably never will.

Play in bands, play in the real world, and enjoy the experience of being a "good" drummer.

I would take that accolade any day.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

As much as you can endure and not throw it all in due to the forced realization of your mortality.

Its a b***h when you realize what you could really do with a few hundred more years....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

When you get out of school, practice until about 8 at night, and when there is no school, play 8 hours a day. If you don't want to be average or even good, then don't practice like everyone else.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

I'd stop just before the Police arrive....
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

That's an easy question...
maybe not
Practice till you're satisfied with the amount of practice for the day.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 AM

You should never ask yourself that question, Just keep practicing and when your done... your done. If you truly love playing and want to accel, you wont put a time limit on it, if your young and driving people nuts around you by playing constantly, get a practice pad(s). Never should you think... well that's good enough for today...It never is, Lol !!!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on your ability to learn. It might take you 8 hours to learn something I can learn in half an hour.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
jackie k
This message has been deleted by jackie k.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Looks like the dream of a fairytale ending is dead. No white knight. No 11th hour reprieve. Time to sound the death knell.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM

And, while practicing keep in mind...

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Therefore, make sure you are practicing the right technique and spending the time to learn the rudiments and foundation. There are no short cuts in the long run.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM

If you want to be the "top drummer" in your area you need to understand that the "top drummers" are the ones who dedicate their entire life and purpose to music. My friends and I here in Boston live to play music, and without it some of us wouldn't even be here anymore. To go from being a good drummer to the top, you should be living and breathing music almost every day (a break is nice every now and then to keep from burning out), because that's what the cats who are in that position right now are doing.

Being amazing is not only a goal but a life sentence. I'm practicing 6-8 focused hours just about everyday in between music classes, private instruction, jams with my peers, and gigs here and there in an attempt to be an "amazing" drummer, and I know many of my fellow drummers are doing the same. It sounds like work and commitment, but I know every time I pick up a drumstick and feel it in my hand a big smile comes over my face because I know I've found my purpose.

That's what goes through the minds of cats who aspire to be amazing, and it has to go through yours as well if you want to be amazing. Sure you can get there with half the effort, but in your position of still being young, the amount of work you put in now is the difference between playing tours at 20 or not playing clubs til 40 (which is totally cool too!)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Wanting to be the top drummer...sounds like you have your priorities misplaced. You are putting yourself before the music. The music comes first. If you play it so awesomely, then others will notice, and your (misplaced) goal will start to take shape.

Practicing by yourself means almost nothing until you start playing with others. That's when the real growth starts. If you want to be a top drummer, and you haven't played with anyone yet, you have a long long way to go. You make it sound so easy. Oh I want to be a top drummer. It doesn't work like that.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wanting to be the top drummer...sounds like you have your priorities misplaced. You are putting yourself before the music. The music comes first. If you play it so awesomely, then others will notice, and your (misplaced) goal will start to take shape.

Practicing by yourself means almost nothing until you start playing with others. That's when the real growth starts. If you want to be a top drummer, and you haven't played with anyone yet, you have a long long way to go. You make it sound so easy. Oh I want to be a top drummer. It doesn't work like that.
+1 Couldn't have said it better.

I don't want to be a "top drummer". I want to make great music. I may be considered a top drummer if I make great music but I'm in it for the music. I don't care if I'm considered a beginner as long as people dig my music and I get the joy of playing it.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Being a top drummer, is like saying I think I want to be on a manned space flight to Mars. Lotsa people may want it, but only a few can actually go.

Goals are great. I hope you reach yours.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 PM

Maybe find somebody you consider to be a "top drummer", and take some lessons. The quality of your practice time is more important than the "quantity". Don't worry about your rankings in your local community, just try to be the best you can be. Also, try as much as possible to play with other musicians. An hour playing with others beats two hours in a practice room any day. You can't learn how to listen and how to keep tempos when others are pushing/pulling by yourself in a practice room.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Being a top drummer, is like saying I think I want to be on a manned space flight to Mars. Lotsa people may want it, but only a few can actually go.

Goals are great. I hope you reach yours.
a goal without a plan is a wish
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 AM

Thanks guys, these answers really opened up my mind, every drummer has something unique about them, and I realized that these ratings for "top drummers" are all very misleading. I guess I just want to be a well-known drummer that lots of drummers become inspired by, and learn from, and of course, I want to make excellent music.