DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Default thrones: round vs. saddle ?

hey all -- i'm in the market for a new throne. i have a roc n soc nitro & have loved it (10 years old?) but i feel like the cushioning is a bit beat down & starting to feel that cutoff / circulation thing at my upper R leg after long gigs. same thing when i work long sessions w/ RF in the woodshed.

i played a NEW yamaha round top at a backline gig over the weekend & it really felt good. my posture, foot feel, snap, speed...just really good. only an hour long so tough to get a sense of the 3+ hour gig circulation thing.

my Q is: do you guys go through the same thing when the top cushioning gets beat down ? or is there really something w/ guys like Steve Smith requiring ONLY a round top sonor throne (no saddles) for his clinic / gig rider ?

i am at a crossroads because i am starting to work some more hi-end speed w/ my foot & i want a good foundation long-term.

sincererly with flams & rimshots,
Geoff in Atlanta
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: thrones: round vs. saddle ?

For me ALWAYS Round...they sit the same everytime..lol

Bonzolead
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have both. I like the round a LOT better!

...perhaps the circulation thing is less a matter of the padding wearing out and more a matter of your body wearing out...??? I know somebody that this was the case. 30 years old and they can't sit for more than 25 minutes before their legs start to tingle. The Dr. told them it was actually their saddle throne!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Senior Consultant

Round is better for me. I used saddle in the past and was surprised how much better the round felt.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM
audiotech

I also have both and I much prefer the round seat, 13" round seat to be exact. Anything wider, I also have a problem with blood circulation being cut off. Several years ago I had to return one of my Roc N Soc round thrones for this reason. Now when I purchase a new thrown, I make sure I sit on it continuously for at least 15 or 20 minutes. If you see me checking out a lot of bass drum pedals, I'm probably just looking to buy a new throne, lol.

Dennis
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM

I have both but have used round most of my life (until this year actually). I definitely prefer the round.

If you don't land on the saddle seat just right you're in for an uncomfortable set.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

I prefer saddle with a backrest. seems to be more comfortable and less stressful on my back.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Now when I purchase a new throne, I make sure I sit on it continuously for at least 15 or 20 minutes. If you see me checking out a lot of bass drum pedals, I'm probably just looking to buy a new throne, lol.
haha. funny and smart idea. will have to check this as i am looking at trick & axis pedals for more speed.

possible it is my body wearing out but no other circulation issues, so i dont think so. it's that typical circulation thing you get when driving 7+ hours. no cruise control on a drum set, heh.

another point is, i CAN have both. i recently got a quote from porter & davies (BC2 & BC Gigster - silent bass drum monitoring system.) & one of their throne top options is dual -- round on one side & saddle on the other. still i am leaning toward round as a 6 month experiment. worst case i will drop the $$$ to go back to saddle or dual.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Round for me as well.

I started out with a round seat, but, I had a saddle style for well over 15 years. I also had a Tama Ergo, which is kind of a rounder saddle for a couple years.

But, I played a back line kit a couple years ago, and it had a round seat, and I was really amazed at how much better it felt. I noticed it right away.

I sold the other ones and got a Round Pearl Roadster.

For the 1-2 hour before taking a break stuff, this Pearl seat has been great.

I also have a Gibraltar "softy" style with thicker foam, and after 6 months the foam started to give more. So whatever the height measurement is, when I actually sit down, it's an inch lower.
It's still comfortable, but it's something I found out after a while.
It's a good one for those gigs or rehearsals that last 3+ hours before a break.

Both seats are pretty reasonable on the weight for hauling around for gigs.
Both are very sturdy.

Actually, the Tama Ergo was the best seat, as far as weight for hauling, so my "perfect" seat combo would be a Pearl Roadster top, with the Tama base, but I'm not spending any more money on thrones :-)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Round for me as well.
really good points, Karl. i should mention that my first throne was that brown Tama (that everyone seems to have). bought in the late 70s when it was the "IT" seat. still have it but cracked & beat down...still works fine.

for me, this may be as simple as firm cushioning vs. soft. some of my recent tests point to firm w/ the round design. i just feel lighter & less buried. my legs feel freer to dance. also for BD, i use heel up mostly & swivel ankles (famularo, kollias) for anything north of about 180 bmp.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

I prefer the saddle or tractor style. I had a round one that I used to slip off of some. I have two tractor styles, an old Pearl and a Roc'n'Soc, and they just feel right for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Saddle with back rest all the way. I found I was sore midway through the first set, now I am good all night.