DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Triggers???

I am going to build a electronic set from old toms. I was looking at triggering them with dialdrum triggers. Mount them on outside head. Is there a reason some people make their own triggers, buy the piezos make foam cones, mount them inside? Is this method better or is so they are hidden inside or something else? Just curious.
Brad
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Triggers???

One reason to do internal triggers is to protect them from being struck. The other is the ability to mount them in the middle of the head for positional sensing.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalDrummer View Post
One reason to do internal triggers is to protect them from being struck. The other is the ability to mount them in the middle of the head for positional sensing.
Also looks a hell of a lot better when you can't see the triggers (but it is a bit of a pain having to take the heads off if anything goes wrong). Used these for my A2E conversion- brilliant.
http://quartzpercussions.com/products_en.html
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Other than looks and to keep from hitting them, is there a difference in performance? Can I just attach the daildrum triggers inside, in the middle? Do I need the standoff and the foam cones that I saw in the link?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

These look like they're external triggers, meant to be used with acoustic drums, using stock type heads: http://www.drumdial.com/drum_trigger.htm

One of the main reasons why some people use internal triggers, is to be able to use mesh heads for silent playing. I'm not sure how well external triggers work (if at all), with mesh heads

If you mount internally, you need some method to hold it in place. The usual ways are to use a crossbar, or a cakepan. If you just stuck the drumdial triggers on the inside of the head, you'd need some way to hold them in place to keep them from falling off. Not sure how well they'd work inside.

Also, if you mount internally, you need to be able to run a cable in there.
If you use acoustic drums with stock heads on them, the air vent should remain open. If you use mesh heads, you can run wires through the air vent hole.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
These look like they're external triggers, meant to be used with acoustic drums, using stock type heads: http://www.drumdial.com/drum_trigger.htm

One of the main reasons why some people use internal triggers, is to be able to use mesh heads for silent playing. I'm not sure how well external triggers work (if at all), with mesh heads

If you mount internally, you need some method to hold it in place. The usual ways are to use a crossbar, or a cakepan. If you just stuck the drumdial triggers on the inside of the head, you'd need some way to hold them in place to keep them from falling off. Not sure how well they'd work inside.

Also, if you mount internally, you need to be able to run a cable in there.
If you use acoustic drums with stock heads on them, the air vent should remain open. If you use mesh heads, you can run wires through the air vent hole.
Here's a pic of how I did mine. In additon to the crossbar and cakepan method Bill describes above the Quartz triggers use a harness system to hold the triggers in place (a bit fiddly to put in but once you get the first one in the rest come easier).
As for putting the cable jack inside the drum I was fortunate that the air vent holes in my Ludwig Element just happened to be the perfect size for mounting (yours may require some drilling of the existing air vents to make them fit).
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM

What I have is some old toms various sizes with acoustic heads. I plan to cut them in half, and make pads. I have some mufflers and rings to quite them. I am trying to make this without buying too much. I havenít bought the triggers yet. So Iím trying to figure out which way will give the best performance. Would it be better to make triggers and mesh heads, or buy the drumdails and muffle?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noof View Post
What I have is some old toms various sizes with acoustic heads. I plan to cut them in half, and make pads. I have some mufflers and rings to quite them. I am trying to make this without buying too much. I havenít bought the triggers yet. So Iím trying to figure out which way will give the best performance. Would it be better to make triggers and mesh heads, or buy the drumdails and muffle?

Thanks,
Brad
I've never tried external triggers on a muffled mylar head (so I can't comment on which way will give you better performance) but internal triggers with mesh heads work very well for me.
If you're talking about single zone triggers for just the toms, I've found there's plenty of leeway with them in terms of triggering so either technique should serve you well (the snare and kick are a bit trickier).