Discovered something quite surprising about an 8" tom

Sjogras

Silver Member
How this tom has been sounding so great is beyond me, just watch this.

oyJ1X.jpg
WJjz0.jpg

kQk5C.jpg

As you can see, the rim of the drum head is already touching the mounts, and the drum isn't even tuned. These Sonors really don't like Remo, some of you may have seen my posts about the 12" tom being abnormaly large sized. It's weird that I haven't noticed this, but I guess as the head has stretched I've tuned it up, eventually coming to this point. I have no idea how long it's been like this. Definitely time to look into some other drumhead brand...

I've filed down those screws a little bit, so the head isn't touching any longer. Obviously, the drum is a lot more resonant as the batter head actually tunes, but it's quite obvious how much the reso affects the drum sound!

Worryingly, Evans heads typically have a deeper profile than Remo, & much deeper than Aquarian, so you may find your choices somewhat limited. A drum should be designed to take all major manufacturer's heads, so there's no excuse really, but I do wish head manufacturers would work on a common depth of form. That would certainly make life easier for drum manufacturers. We already knew there were differences in profile depth, but that became critical during the development of our new series of drums, as we use external rerings.

I hope your existing head has deformed to an extreme extent, so you don't have too much of an issue going forward, although I would advise making a note of the height of your old head, then comparing that to any new head you're considering fitting.

So Evans is off the list, thanks. That pretty much leaves me with Aquarian, which I've been glancing at anyway. Seems like I'm finding flaws with this kit constantly, I'm becoming more picky... Too bad the wallet doesn't allow that.

How old is the head? Was it tuned very tight? Is that a clear Emperor? Not exactly a thin head if it is.

Ludwig heads have a really short collar, that could work for you.

Yikes. You play 3007s right? Is the 8" the only one with that issue? Like others I'm hoping it's just that the head is stretched out. Glad it sounds good despite the clearance issue.

They are 3007s, with clear emperors, and it's the only drum that has this issue. Well, not any longer since I've filed the nuts a bit. I'll have to say, this tom sounds magnificent compared to earlier!

That head was tuned a bit higher than F, so really in the sweetspot for most 8" toms I'm guessing, not too high nor too low. And the head isn't too old either, a month perhaps.

Back