DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Yamaha DTX700k or Roland TD-20

After looking to replace my very well used DTXplorer to something better, I of course looked at second hand drum kits and found that (in my part of the world anyway) there are literally no DTX700k's.

There are how ever quite a lot of TD-20s

So the strange choice is:

New DTX700k - 1694

or

Used TD-20s with Pedals, hi-hat stands and various upgrades - (around 1650)

How do the modules compare feature-wise?
Any advice?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha DTX700k or Roland TD-20

I like the td20 hardware and pads more. Also the hi hat feels better because it's solid.

Yamaha silicone is a bit too bouncy and the rubber bass pad isn't bouncy enough. You could overcome that by upgrading the bass pad though.

Both nice but I'd take the Roland.

Or maybe the 2box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro38 View Post
After looking to replace my very well used DTXplorer to something better, I of course looked at second hand drum kits and found that (in my part of the world anyway) there are literally no DTX700k's.

There are how ever quite a lot of TD-20s

So the strange choice is:

New DTX700k - 1694

or

Used TD-20s with Pedals, hi-hat stands and various upgrades - (around 1650)

How do the modules compare feature-wise?
Any advice?
The TD-20 is not a current model so there are usually several used ones on sale, perhaps as their owners look to buying the newer TD-30. The DTX700 is current and it is rare to find one for sale. I personally prefer Yamaha sounds, and I also prefer their silicone pads to Roland's mesh. I would say that mesh is too bouncy, (the opposite of what Dre25 just wrote). If you can find both brands in a store, you really should try each one out thoroughly.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarak View Post
The TD-20 is not a current model so there are usually several used ones on sale, perhaps as their owners look to buying the newer TD-30. The DTX700 is current and it is rare to find one for sale. I personally prefer Yamaha sounds, and I also prefer their silicone pads to Roland's mesh. I would say that mesh is too bouncy, (the opposite of what Dre25 just wrote). If you can find both brands in a store, you really should try each one out thoroughly.
I'm with barak on this one. The Roland mess pads in my opinion are way to bouncy and the textured Silicone heads that Yamaha use, at least on their snare is freakin PERFECTION! I just bought the DTX 535 and I'm in love with it.

I looked at Roland and one thing I noticed is the complete lack of upgradability. There is one proprietary wire that plugs into the back of most of the head units I looked at and it only gave you an option to plug in one more cymbal.

Not only that, but if you price separate pads, you will find that Roland will rake you over the fire. Their pads, especially their cymbals are at least a hundred dollars more and I believe (not sure) that their cymbals are only 2 zone. The Yamaha cymbals are 3 zone.

I myself have my DTX 535 set expanded by 4 additional pads (see my signature) and I couldn't be more happy. and I can set my 15 inch ride up to use the bell and the main body as ride cymbal sounds and the edge as a crash. And the sounds of the Yamaha in my opinion are better samples than the Roland.

Your best advice is to go play 2 of these sets at your nearby music store (if you have one).

Good Luck,
Defender
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

You can adjust the tension on the Roland mesh pads though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 09-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the response guys!

The pads are just something i can try out on any of the roland or yamaha range but those specific modules aren't in stores near me

How do they compare? Is the TD20 a higher end module because it was the flagship roland module?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I'm with barak on this one. The Roland mess pads in my opinion are way to bouncy and the textured Silicone heads that Yamaha use, at least on their snare is freakin PERFECTION! I just bought the DTX 535 and I'm in love with it.

I looked at Roland and one thing I noticed is the complete lack of upgradability. There is one proprietary wire that plugs into the back of most of the head units I looked at and it only gave you an option to plug in one more cymbal.

Not only that, but if you price separate pads, you will find that Roland will rake you over the fire. Their pads, especially their cymbals are at least a hundred dollars more and I believe (not sure) that their cymbals are only 2 zone. The Yamaha cymbals are 3 zone.

I myself have my DTX 535 set expanded by 4 additional pads (see my signature) and I couldn't be more happy. and I can set my 15 inch ride up to use the bell and the main body as ride cymbal sounds and the edge as a crash. And the sounds of the Yamaha in my opinion are better samples than the Roland.

Your best advice is to go play 2 of these sets at your nearby music store (if you have one).

Good Luck,
Defender
I have the TD-20 with the expansion board and love it. The ride cymbal is 3 zone and the Crashes are 2.