DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Default Is it worth buying a used Roland TD-6VKX?

hey guys i have a quick question for all the e-drummers out there. i've been playing drums for a few years and have enough knowledge to know the perfect sound in the drums i like (Yam Maple Custom...mmmmm).

which brings me to a bit of a pickle because i want to buy a e-kit for practicing at home and to save space. a roland td-6vkx has become available to me but i'm really weary on the td6's sound capabilities in that i've heard on the internet a few demos and also heard from fellow drummers that the td-6v module is just getting to old now and the sounds aren't very realistic even when compared to the td4 and even td3 modules. i'd really love for a realistic drum experience as much as possible on an e-kit.

the roland though is AUD$1200 (or in USD currently is about $1250). the td-6vkx has the awesome mesh pads though which is what attracted me to the kit but im not entirely sure if this is worth it for the money.

i haven't played on a td-6 before so calling on the experiences of you guys to let me know if its worth buying especially for the price. any help is appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Is it worth buying a used Roland TD-6VKX?

Based on what you wrote here, I predict you will be greatly disappointed in the sounds of that used Roland set. You may need to spend on a DTX700 module and compromise on the drum hardware if you have a restricted budget. You could do this by finding an older used Yamaha set and getting the new module.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

I guarantee you the electronic kit and the sounds produced will bore you in time. I started out in the 80s doing electronic things and like clothes, the sounds go out of fashion, and then like everything else computerized, you're in this endless upgrade cycle. I hated it. For some reason, an acoustic kit sound can be loved for decades without it really changing, but when it comes to electronic drums, the sounds have to be upgraded.

I would save the money and get a small kit (like a Sonor Safari), put mesh heads on it if you want to practice silently, and have at it. At least that way you'll have something that's reacting like a drum, which is what you'll be playing anyway, right? To me, eKits and aKits are two very different things.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

What he says ^^^^.

Probably the 'close to ideal' solution for anyone serious about drumming, but wanting to try the digital stuff, is to get an acoustic kit and do some type of conversion on it.

You can use external triggers with standard heads, put mesh heads on if you want it to play quietly and use internal or external triggering. Slap a piezo and some silencing material on your cymbals. Get a module with sounds you like and so on.

The biggest stumbling block still is hi-hats. But they're getting better all the time.

Also, if you like Yamaha's drum sounds, consider the DTX 500 (or better) module.

The first 6 kits on the 500 are:

1 OakCustom
2 MapleCustm
3 MapleVintg
4 Beech
5 BirchDry
6 BirchJazz

They all sound really good, and the Beech is particularly tasty.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM

thanks for your input guys. deciding not to get them anymore. i just wish they made them more realistically priced!

i dont mind the dtx500 module at all. i just went to my music store and played on the dtx540k. i love how responsive and sensitive the sounds are.although i love the sounds more on the yamaha since they sample their own drums, i do love playing on the roland mesh kits too. plus roland modules have usb connectivity on their latest models.

not sure what to get at the moment but i think the dtx540k was pretty good. just need to find a reasonably priced one. or if i could find a used td-9 kit it might also be good.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakez88 View Post

...i dont mind the dtx500 module at all. i just went to my music store and played on the dtx540k. i love how responsive and sensitive the sounds are.although i love the sounds more on the yamaha since they sample their own drums, i do love playing on the roland mesh kits too. plus roland modules have usb connectivity on their latest models....

I got just the DTX500 module. Currently, I've got converted roto-toms with mesh heads hooked up to it, along with a rubber kick pad. Works great for now, and I can upgrade it a piece at a time in the future if I want.