DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 AM

Default Few Stand Issues..Anyone Help?

1. Boom stand never holds enough from boom arm. Not sure if a washer has gone. how do i tell and can i fix it? just comes loose all the time, despite tightening, holding a light cymbal and hitting it softly.

2. I bought a meinl stacker like http://www.gak.co.uk/en/meinl-cycys8...FfQQtAodElAAlA

i thought it was one which screwed onto the top of a stand but it needs to be clamped. I cant return it, so any bit i can attach to screw onto a stand, or do i need to get a clamp? If so the stacker arm is very small so how do i attach?

3 i bought a straight stand arm for a yamaha bottom bit i had, but this is also too thin and doesnt clamp. Cant return it, so anything i can do except gaffa taping it up?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Few Stand Issues..Anyone Help?

1. I'd suggest the titler on your boom stand might be shot. If that's the case, there's little you can do other than replace it.......depending on cost/availability it may well be easier/more cost effective to just toss it and replace the whole stand.

2. Can't help with the stacker. No idea.

3. Either buy a new boom arm or just work with the one that's too thin. Either with gaffer tape as you've suggested or by padding out out with rubber, foam or other like material that'll allow the clamp to secure it. I've done this myself many years ago when I used to mount a tambourine off a boom arm. I just padded it out with rubber and gaffer tape and it held fast for many years.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
1. I'd suggest the titler on your boom stand might be shot. If that's the case, there's little you can do other than replace it.......depending on cost/availability it may well be easier/more cost effective to just toss it and replace the whole stand.

2. Can't help with the stacker. No idea.

3. Either buy a new boom arm or just work with the one that's too thin. Either with gaffer tape as you've suggested or by padding out out with rubber, foam or other like material that'll allow the clamp to secure it. I've done this myself many years ago when I used to mount a tambourine off a boom arm. I just padded it out with rubber and gaffer tape and it held fast for many years.
cool but i dont understand how its too thin, not sure if im missing a middle bit. it does reach very high. the gaffa thing isnt very secure
Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Few Stand Issues..Anyone Help?
1. Boom stand never holds enough from boom arm. Not sure if a washer has gone. how do i tell and can i fix it? just comes loose all the time, despite tightening, holding a light cymbal and hitting it softly.

If your boom arm in knurled, the knurled section wears out the edge of the tilter hub the boom slides into, its knurled steel against pot metal, steel wins. Its not a washer being too thin, you need to file, or grind the ring.

If your boom arm 'is not knurled', a memory lock on the boom arm is a must, as smooth chrome plated steel against plated pot metal provides poor holding power, a memory lock makes the difference.

Pic 01 Shows the tilter minus the boom arm

Pic 1 Shows where the ring needs to be filed, or hit carefully with a grinder. OK actually if you nick the threads down there, wing nut will never use the threads that deep.

Pic 2 Shows the tilter hubs edges that've been worn down by a knurled boom arm, again the boom arm is steel and the hub is pot metal so it'll wear eventually. When it wears just enough (which is what happens) the knurled boom section wont clamp against the hub, its floated by the ring.

Pic 3 Shows the ring bottomed out in the hub (washer(s) wont help here), even though properly bottomed out, the ring sits 'above' the edges of the hub. There's your neg connection, the fix is pic 1.

Pic 4 Shows the ring after its been ground, and sitting 'below' the edges of the hub, this allows the knurled section of the boom to sit against the hub again allowing it to make positive contact with the hub. The ring no longer floats the boom arm and proper hold is restored.
Attached Images