DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Default Review of clear vintage emperors

I just swapped heads on my toms from coated vintage emps to clear vintage emps. The coated vintage emps were nice, but I was missing some attack that a clear head gives me. Wow, what an awesome rock drum head. The clear vintage emps were everything I heard about them and then some. They had just a slight bit less sustain than the regular clear emps, which is a good thing, they sounded a little more controlled, but still had all the tonality and resonance of the regular clears. Awesome attack, sweet transparent tone with more midrange punch and low end growl. The perfect tom head for me. I was blown away by them. Plus, they're super durable with 2 plies of 7.5 mil film. I'm not easily impressed by heads, but for rock, these heads are the best tom heads I've ever played. I played them wide open on my DW kit mic'ed up at a recent gig and they were a dream. If you like an open tom sound with a full, powerful tonality with plenty of attack, midrange punch and low end, with just the right amount of sustain, this is the head you're looking for. I loved it.

Last edited by cdrums21; 09-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Review of clear vintage emperors

Thanks for the review. I am debating my next head purchase so I may give them a try.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Thanks for the review. I am debating my next head purchase so I may give them a try.
Ditto, me too! Well written review.

\,,/
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

I was worried they may sound "dull" given the extra thickness, but that is definitely NOT the case. When describing these heads, and you're familiar with the sound of a clear emperor or clear Evans G2, think that same sound those heads produce only a tad bit more controlled with a punchy attack. All the tone and resonance is still there. I play my toms wide open with no muffling at all. When playing some live gigs, there had been times with my DW's being such a resonant kit that regular clear emperor heads resonated and sustained almost too much, especially on my 16" floor tom. With the clear vintage emperors, they keep the drum sound a little more controlled and still allow for that big powerful tone. To steal a quote from another guy who reviewed the heads, the regular clear emperors go "doooooom" while the vintage clear emperors go "Doooom"...haha...if that makes sense :)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 AM

If you are looking for the attack of the Clear Vintage Emperors but the look of the coated heads, then the Smooth White Emperor uses the same 7.5 mil plies as the Vintage Emperor. I just put a set on my toms and they are great heads.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
If you are looking for the attack of the Clear Vintage Emperors but the look of the coated heads, then the Smooth White Emperor uses the same 7.5 mil plies as the Vintage Emperor. I just put a set on my toms and they are great heads.
Yes sir, that is a fact and they do sound great. Not many people use a smooth white head, but they do look and sound great. Good addition to the thread :)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

This is really good stuff, as I am currently running the coated Vint Emps on my Blaemire kit, and am loving them. I'll probably try the clears next, thanks for the review!

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
This is really good stuff, as I am currently running the coated Vint Emps on my Blaemire kit, and am loving them. I'll probably try the clears next, thanks for the review!
You're welcome brother. I really liked the coated vintage emps too, they sounded warm and punchy with a nice tone and just the right amount of sustain. I had regular clear emperors on the toms before I switched to the coated vintage emps, so I was used to a little more attack and "openness" if you will. I missed it a little in some venues, so I decided to try the clear vintage emps and was pleasantly surprised. They are as advertised, having the attack of the clears with the enhanced midrange and low end punchy open tone of the vintage coated emps, just not quite as warm sounding. They are like a cross between a regular clear emperor and a pinstripe in a way. More open and a sweeter tone and attack than a pinstripe, but not quite as sustaining and resonant as a regular clear emp. The perfect head for that deep powerful tom sound IMO.