DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-18-2006, 05:30 PM

Default your thoughts on brushes?

are they just for jazz?
what make is best and what brush for what music?
talk about any thing to do with brushes
Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
~tamadrummer~

Default Re: your thoughts on brushes?

i dont like em..but then again i dont play much jazz.its hard to think of another time you would need em besides jazz.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:51 PM
KARL MEMBER

I love em!! there are many brushes: the classic one, the rock rake (VF), rutes, Heritage brush (VF) etc. They are amazing, so soft!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:46 PM
mlehnertz

The only thing Dog Breath and I agree on are brushes. We both prefer the Regal Tip hickory handled brushes. I've gone through numerous pairs and these are the best I've owned. I don't like the retractable handled ones, or the rubber gripped ones. You can get some decent volume out of the wood handles when you need it.

I use brushes for all sorts of stuff. Rock tunes, blues tunes and jazz. I like them because I can use them to keep the energy of a groove going without a lot of volume. This gig I did, we were playing a quick, funkifized version of Simon & Garfunkel's "59th Street Bridge Song" (aka Feelin' Groovy), but the dynamics were really soft. To keep the funkier tempo of the tune, sticks were too loud and I was drowning out everyone so I switched over to brushes and it just worked.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Pioneer Member

I love brushes. not just for jazz. once in a while ill use em for rock.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

yah, brushes aren't solely for jazz. have you heard of the violent femmes? "let me go on,

like a blister in the sun..." anyways, their drummer used brushes.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 AM

I have started to really appreciate brushes. Its a new world of dynamics. You dont even need drums. Try a phonebook, your practice pad, a shaker or use your imagination.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:11 AM

Brushes are so great. There's so many different techniques and you can have a lot of different feels with brushes. Solos with brushes with the snare and bass drum is really cool too.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

brushes have never been for me. I dont know why but I just never really like them. I love hot rod sticks though. But after a while they start breaking apart.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:50 AM

I love brushes. It's so nice to have a change of pace every once in a while and very often when practicing, I'd rather use them to practice traditional grip and to try for interesting sounds.

Vater makes these retractable, rubber-handled ones that I really enjoy. They make life really easy and the sound is wonderful. The brushes are just...uh...supple enough. Yes, I said "supple"...

cheers.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

I use my VF retractable classic often and it isn't just for jazz - soft rock ballad, acoustic gigs etc.. I love using it when jamming with only a snare and an acoustic guitar.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 AM
Henry II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer
I use my VF retractable classic often and it isn't just for jazz - soft rock ballad, acoustic gigs etc.. I love using it when jamming with only a snare and an acoustic guitar.
Brushes are great for a lot of things like a country train beat, a samba shaker, not just acoustic jazz. I like the white VF retractable, but, I recently borrowed a purple VF retractable that was equal in quality but lighter. And the purple handle was softer and easier to grip.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry II
Brushes are great for a lot of things like a country train beat, a samba shaker, not just acoustic jazz. I like the white VF retractable, but, I recently borrowed a purple VF retractable that was equal in quality but lighter. And the purple handle was softer and easier to grip.
Have I said VF, damn I'm dazed & confused !!! I meant RT classic...

BTW, brushes were the main reason why I have coated heads. :-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Pioneer Member

I used to hate brushes, but once I got better at em, I sorta liked the freedom they gave you and the variety of sounds you can get from a brush. I love to just mess around with brushes. Plus, theyre a neccessity for jazz, so might as well learn em sometime. I have some black-rubber handled Vaters and I really like them. Durable and nice feel.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Silver Member

my thoughts on brushes--
I can't stop friggin losing em. I've lost 3 pairs for some reason.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
The only thing Dog Breath and I agree on are brushes. We both prefer the Regal Tip hickory handled brushes. I've gone through numerous pairs and these are the best I've owned. I don't like the retractable handled ones, or the rubber gripped ones. You can get some decent volume out of the wood handles when you need it.
I prefer the rubber grips because if I need to I can roll on the edge of a cymbal with them. I've like the Regal Tip brushes that I've tried. I had some Ludwig rubber gripped retractable ones that I really liked but they got trashed by a friend, haven't been able to find them again. A pair that I hated was from Vic Firth. The bristles were way too stiff for me.

How do you guys store your non-retractable brushes?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

I use the Regal Tip classic retractable ones from time to time. I am for the most part a rock drummer, but I am playing with this acoustic singer next month and it's almost all brush work.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampe
I have started to really appreciate brushes. Its a new world of dynamics. You dont even need drums. Try a phonebook, your practice pad, a shaker or use your imagination.
This is so true! Like if you got your first pair of a sticks as a youngster and just wacked everything like glasses and tables. Brushes can apply to many different instruments besides drums. Think of everyday surroundings as percussion, you never know what may sound cool... then again you may look like a fool just hitting really obscure objects all the time!

Rob
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 AM

If you have Hot Rods and they are chipping away, the best thing to do is get electrical tape and wrap it around a few inches from the tip. Make each dowl closer and tighter. It really helps and also makes the sticks sound better.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

I use brushes A LOT. I've been happiest with the Vic Firth model. I guess they are the jazz model (white handle). Most of my jazz gigs the drums are not miked and I found the Firths to have a little stiffer wire than some of the others. This seems to give me a little more volume. I recently purchased some of the Heritage model by Firth. They have a nice feel but definitely softer texture than the originals. I used to use the Regal hickory handle model all the time until I latched onto the Firths. I wouldn't have a problem going back to them if necessary.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandsound_dean
are they just for jazz?
what make is best and what brush for what music?
talk about any thing to do with brushes

there are many awesome time playing things you can do with brushes as well as tricks, although mainly fo jazz brush time and swing, they are great for soloing and also with some latin feels
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 04-25-2006, 04:49 PM

also try checking out the flex stroke on the brushes by some drummers if your looking for cool tricks and interesting things to do with them. flex stroke is also a great way to play fast swing time
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 04-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Administrator

I think I saw the rake model Karl is talking about at Guitar Center yesterday. They are retractable, and the very end of the brush about 3/4" of the way up are pre-bent about 30-40 degrees so that when using the traditonal grip the left brush has more brush on the drum head for a louder sound. They were very nice.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Brushes are absolutely amazing! Perfect for ballads or some cafe sounding jazz. Great stuff. I use them alot, mainly for jazz. I haven't really had a chance to play any soft alternative or rock stuff to use them in. They are great inventions. If you can't use brushes or you don't like them, I suggest you learn fast. They are very useful and provide so much new texture and layering to your playing!!

Tim
Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman
I use brushes A LOT. I've been happiest with the Vic Firth model. I guess they are the jazz model (white handle). Most of my jazz gigs the drums are not miked and I found the Firths to have a little stiffer wire than some of the others. This seems to give me a little more volume. I recently purchased some of the Heritage model by Firth. They have a nice feel but definitely softer texture than the originals. I used to use the Regal hickory handle model all the time until I latched onto the Firths. I wouldn't have a problem going back to them if necessary.
I use that Vic Firth model as well and I love it...

But brushes can be used for alot of music, try playing something you normally would with sticks, with brushes instead.

They are becoming a lost art...
Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 AM

my thoughts on brushes?
yes, absolutely.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Stu_Strib

My thoughts on brushes are that I am not even close enough being good with them and I'm always amazed at how great good jazz players are when they play with them.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 AM

my first thought on brushes is always something like "aargh, why are these bent". but then one you start playing with them phrases like "classy" and "oh yeah" more come to mind. it's funny, because i never used to use brushes, but then i finally decided to try to use them more, and i really found that places where i was using sticks, and doing fine, i should have been using brushes for the more suiting sound.

does anyone make a heavier handled, thicker brush? i thought i saw some by vater once, but can't seem to find them anymore. they weren't like the monster brushes, they were just normal wire ones with a wood handle, but they were really fat. anyway, i had a gig not long ago where we played about 3 hours with only short breaks, and afterwards my right hand was really sore. i think it's because i flick the brushes with my wrist, rather than using the same form as i use with normal sticks. i'm hoping that a "fat" brush might do the trick. always looking to try something new of course.

oh and the mouse and keyboard have an interesting sound when played on with brushes.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Brushes aren't just for Jazz. They are great in country music. Have a listen to Giant Sand's proVISIONS album and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinozalove View Post
Brushes aren't just for Jazz. They are great in country music. Have a listen to Giant Sand's proVISIONS album and you will see what I mean.
Or "The Rain Song" from Zep.

My thoughts though, they are an absolute must in any stick bag. And a seriously underutilized tool in drumming. I mean seriously, you can be great with a pair of sticks and be able to do every rudiment forwards backwards and every other direction. However being able to do that with brushes takes an almost completely new form of mastery.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 AM

I have also used brushes with an acoustic guitar player and I think it sounds awesome. I can use lots of legato strokes and just make the beats different, I agree with rollingstone000
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Brushes can be heard on plenty of rock and roll albums from 50s, 60s and still a lot of R&B songs today. Perhaps the most popular genre today for brushes would be country music. (Unless you count the FreeCreditReport.com commercials :) As for a favorite pair...I'm not really sure. I've tried the ProMark TB3, and while these are very similar to the old style brushes they are fairly quiet unless on a new coated head. The Vic Firth Jazz models have a nice set of wires, but I'm not a fan of the heavy plastic handle. These certainly project more than light brushes. The Heritage Brushes are a nice medium and have probably been my favorite so far. I've got a pair of Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton brushes and these things are the stiffest pair you will ever play. I plan on trying Regal Tip classic or Vater ones next.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 PM

I love brushes, and they work great in early rock-n-roll/Americana style stuff.

I really dig the Regal Tip Ed Thigpen model. Nice balance and weight and nice articulation on sweeps but not as stiff as the Jeff Hamilton model. The non retractable Vater Wire Taps with the wood handles are pretty decent too if you like to combine rim clicks using the butt-end.

Here's a video of me using brushes in my country group. Not the best recording....apologies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9AhiFZvYg
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 AM

I used to have a pair of brushes, but one exploded on me one day, sending the little wires everywhere. I've been meaning to buy some more.
I still have the one that didn't explode though :P
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampe View Post
That's what I think! I use brushes on the membrane of a frame drum held between my legs and using techniques similar to that on a snare drum. I also use rutes on the outside shells of two different sizes of frame drums: one held between my legs, the other on my lap.

GJS
Old 09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Check out Jeff Hamilton and Steve Smith playing "Salt Peanuts." A gem.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
Or "The Rain Song" from Zep.

My thoughts though, they are an absolute must in any stick bag. And a seriously underutilized tool in drumming. I mean seriously, you can be great with a pair of sticks and be able to do every rudiment forwards backwards and every other direction. However being able to do that with brushes takes an almost completely new form of mastery.
The Rain Song live was Bonham playing with his hands during the beginning and sticks towards the end, but Brushes IMO are the hardest things to master but when you do It's very rewarding and I mean sweeping,train beats,etc. not just playing basic rudiments. IMO use metal brushes stay away from plastic brushes I don't. care for them very much. Rods are also an option kinda of a mix between brushes & sticks which are also cool, Just something else to consider.

Bonzolead
Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle123 View Post
my thoughts on brushes--
I can't stop friggin losing em. I've lost 3 pairs for some reason.
Do what I do: pin them to your coat sleeves!

GJS
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
That's how it's done thanks for sharing that made my wed. morning a little brighter & salter LOL really enjoyed it.

Bonzolead
Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post

OMG! That was fun! Thanks a bunch (of salt peanuts); that made my day!

GJS